Chapter 9

Let it be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What the hell is going on!" Hyuna who had been pacing in front of Sunmi's room since earlier snapped. 

 

Minhyuk who was leaning against the wall glared at Byul and Hyejin. Both bowed, remorseful for what had happened. Mr Lee and his wife were still inside, accompanying their daughter who was still lying lethargically on the bed.

 

"Moon Minhyuk!" Hyuna called out loud.

 

"What?" Minhyuk replied back, not satisfied with Hyuna's action.

 

Since earier, Hyuna kept blaming him. What's he did wrong? Sunmi herself wanted to invite Byul and Hyejin to her wedding. Minhyuk did not know that this would happen. He was not a fortune teller who can interpret the future.

 

"It's all your brother's fault! Don't you show innocent face! My cousin is unconscious inside because of him!" said Hyuna, venting her anger on Minhyuk.

 

"Then if he's wrong, he's here too! Why do you want to be angry at me?" protest Minhyuk

 

"Hey, go back! I don't want to see your faces!" Hyuna yelled at Byul and Hyejin.  

 

"Don't be so rude, can you?" Byul said in return, in a high-pitched too. 

 

"Hyung, please. Let's go back first," Hyejin persuaded while pulled Byul's arm, not wanting his friend made the situation worse. 

 

"But we still don't know how to find her, Hyejin. Only Sunmi can tell us." said Byul.

 

"There must be a way. I promise you, we will look for her until we find her," said Hyejin confidently.

 

After hearing Hyejin's assurance, Byul succumbed to Hyuna's wishes. He followed Hyejin's footsteps, going down the stairs to the ground floor. Just two steps away, he looked back, looking at Minhyuk who was also looking at him. He knew Minhyuk was upset and angry with his actions earlier. Maybe Minhyuk already hated him but he will still loved his brother.

 

Did his brother understood the burden he had when he got the news about Minhyuk's stupid actions before? His love for his brother it was as huge as an ocean even though he never uttered it in words. Minhyuk was his only brother.

 

Byul's heart broke when he found out that Minhyuk was trying to end his life because of Hyuna. Didnt Minhyuk thought about him too? Didn’t Minyuk think how much Byul's love was for him?

 

"Come on, hyung!" called Hyejin when he realized that

Byul was still stood stiffly, looking at Minhyuk who had already turned his gaze to the other side, did not want to stare at his face. Byul turned round, faced forward again and resumed his weak steps. 

 

Byul! Minhyuk called in his heart. His heart was broken and disappointed with his brother's actions. His heart never stopped loving Byul even though his younger brother had smeared dirt on their family's faces. From the first time Byul learned to call him 'brother' until now, Minhyuk has always tried to protect him. Even though his heart was hurt, his brother's life was more important than his own life. Yet he was struck with frustration and resentment at what had happened. How could Byul embarrassed Sunmi in public. Even their family's dignity was tarnished by his brother's confession earlier.

 

"Your brother is useless!" accused Hyuna. 

 

"He didn't mean to, Hyuna. Believe me ... you said that because you don't know how my brother is. Byul is not that kind of person. He is ..."

 

"Liar and home wrecker!!" cut Hyuna before Minhyuk could finish his words.

 

"No!" asserted Minhyuk.

 

"Your family is all crazy, just like ..." 

 

Pang! 

 

A slap landed on Hyuna's cheek before she could finish her sentences. Hyuna was shocked as rubbing her sore cheek, she didn't think that Minhyuk would hurt her. 

 

"Minhyuk!!" Hyuna called angrily.

 

Minhyuk's tongue quivered to speak. He looked at his shaking hand.

 

"You're scared, aren't you? You're scared to admit about the truth of your family. You're scared to face your past. Don't think I'm stupid, Minhyuk. I know why you commite suicide before. Not because of me, right? Because of you I can't stand the pressure. You're tired of hiding your family secrets. Why, Minhyuk? Are you afraid I will tell about your family to others? Or to your beloved brother, Byul?" Said Hyuna. 

 

"I was wrong because I believed you, Hyuna. I was wrong because I shared my story with the woman I love and who I believe she loves me with all my heart. I was wrong all this time." Minhyuk said regretfully.

 

Without waiting for the girl to speak, Minhyuk swung his steps fast, away from Hyuna. Not even once he turn to look at the girl, let alone intended to turn back. He stepped into the car, started the engine and hurried to the main gate of Lee's mansion. 

 

As he was about to turn his car onto the main road, he encountered with a white Merc that he recognized. The driver had just waved, signaling for him to stop his car on roadside. There were things they needed to talk about.

 

"Minhyuk oppa!" called Wheein shortly after stepping down from her car. Then she stepped into Minhyuk's car without permission.

 

"What's the matter, Wheein-ah?" Minhyuk asked soft even his heart sense with the uneasiness.

 

"Is Sunmi okay?"

 

Minhyuk shook his head. He did not know whether Sunmi was already conscious or not and at this time, he honestly did not care. Enough of that burden borne by him now. His mind was confused as he thought about everything that had happened earlier. His face felt thick, embarrassed by his brother's actions.

 

"If you want to know about Sunmi, it's better for you to go inside and see yourself. I want to go home now. Mr and Mrs Lee are inside, they haven't moved from her side. Hyuna is still there. You should go in." said Minhyuk.

 

"I don't want to see her. Actually, I don't care about them, oppa." said Wheein honestly.

 

"What?" Minhyuk said in surprise.

 

Then he looked right into Wheein's face, expecting an explanation. If she didn't care about Sunmi, why did she came?

 

"I heard from my mother about what happened this afternoon. I am a witness to what happened that night, oppa. I was there and I know the whole story. So, I'm here to explain what really happened to you that night. I know Byul oppa will admit it's all his fault. But actually, it all started from you, oppa. It's all because he loves you too much."

 

Minhyuk was struck with shock.

 

"That night when you tried to kill yourself, Byul oppa was looking for Hyuna. Byul oppa was really angry. So, Hyejin tried to help him get revenge by kidnapped her. He knew Byul oppa would not hurt her. Their only intention was to scare Hyuna," said Wheein, started the story.

 

"Why are they so idiot?" sighed Minhyuk as hhe slammed his hand on the steering wheel of the car, furious to hear Wheein's story.

 

"Then, aren't you idiot too, oppa? Commited suicide because of a woman. You know Byul oppa can't live without you. He loves you, oppa. You're the only brother he has," said Wheein.

 

Minhyuk was silent without speaking. 

 

"You know Sodam, don't you? President Park's son?"

 

Only a nod became Minhyuk's answer. He knew Park Sodam, a playboy who was also a friend of his brother's at school. Even his parents were their father's business partners.

 

"He put drugs into Sunmi's drink that night but Byul oppa was the one who drank it. On the way to see Hyuna, he lost his sanity. He didn't know what he was doing, Minhyuk oppa. What happened that night, it wasn't his fault. It's our fault too. It's my fault for telling Hyejin where Hyuna's apartment was. It's Hyejin's fault for planning the stupid idea and it's Sodam's fault for putting drug in Sunmi's drink."

 

"And the cause is me," Minyuk continued before Wheein gave a point to her story. He sighed.

 

"All this time, I've done everything I can to protect Byul. I forgot that he's an adult too. And now he's trying to protect me. He doesn't want to see me hurt. Even though he doesn't know, I'm hurt more when I see his suffering. I do love him, Wheein-ah."

 

Wheein's tears fell down her cheeks. She was touched by the love between the two brothers.

 

"Humans are weird, aren't they? Love but never say it. It's like you and Byul oppa, you guys love each other. But you both are too ego, don't want to admit it. Each of you tries to protect each other in silence despite their own suffering," said Wheein.

 

"If it weren't for me, all this wouldn't have happened. Byul wouldn't have suffered like now," said Minhyuk, embroidered with guilt that peeled every blood vessel in his body to the heart. 

 

"There's no point in blaming anyone. It's all happened. No matter what happen, we can't turn back time. The purpose of me telling you is not because I want you to blame yourself, oppa. I just think you have the right to know the truth. Byul oppa did not not how to tell you about this."

 

"Thanks, Wheein," minhyuk said.

 

Wheein wiped away the tears. Before carving a satisfied smile, after voicing the secret that she kept in her chest after so long.

 

"For what, oppa?"

 

"Because you saved me from hating my own brother. You told me things I knew Byul wouldn't explain if I asked. Byul will admit it's all his fault," Minhyuk replied while holding back tears that begin tried to fall. 

 

"Take care of Byul, oppa. He is egotistic, never confesses his suffering to anyone. But I know he is not that strong. He needs someone to support him and that person is you and Hyejin. You are both the most important people in his life."said Wheein.

 

"You can't take care of him?" asked Minhyuk as he glanced her with smile, trying to dive into the sincere heart of the girl next to him. Even though he has known for a long time that Wheein really loved her brother.

 

"I can," admits Wheein. Her tears fall again. 

 

"Then why did you ask me to take care of him?"

 

"But he didn't let me, oppa. He didn't want to let me into his life. So, I have to go to heal the wounds in my heart. I will let him go."

 

"Where do you want to go? "Minhyuk asked in surprise.

 

"New Zealand. I'll be leaving soon," Wheein replied.

 

"Byul knows?" Wheein nodded.

 

"Oppa, I want you to open your eyes wide. Don't live with the shadow. You will not find a girl who sincerely loves you if you continue to open your heart to Hyuna's false love. Hyuna has no right to have your love, oppa. Good bye, Minhyuk oppa." she said firmly.

 

Without waiting for Minhyuk's reaction, Wheein pushed the door, leaving the man alone to think about her words earlier. She swung a step towards her car back.

 

__________________________________________________________

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter