Chapter 8

Let it be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

3 months before...

 

"What are you thinking, hyung?" Asked Hyejin who had been observing Byul's behavior who fidgeting from earlier and cant sit still.

 

Sometimes Byul sat on the chair next to him but never for long. In less than two or three minutes, he stood up again. Byul walked back and forth from the door outside into the bar area again.

 

Not a single cigarette was stuck in his finger like before. Byul had lost his addiction to smoke perhaps. His breath did not smell of Marlboro or Dunhill. His mouth weren't as evil as before, talking about every bad things of women they had ever met. Moon Byulyi had changed, unlike Moon Byulyi that Hyejin once knew.

 

If Byul used to love to party, now he prefered to be confined in his house, daydreaming alone. As far as Hyejin remembered, he never saw Byul drank alcohol or touch cigarette again. The man's invessible horn had already turned blunt. In fact, every time he was invited to chat, Byul kept as silent as the grave. 

 

One word Hyejin asked, he would only answered in one word back. Yes, no or I don't know. Those three keywords that are often on the lips of Byul now. Every time he was asked for a long conversation, he would sighed. His focus was never given fully, either to Hyejin, Wheein or his own brother.

 

"Sit here, hyung," said Hyejin after his question was ignored by Byul who kept pacing in the quiet bar area.

 

There were only a few people sitting in the bar area. The other room seemed empty with no customers. Byul was still remain silent.

 

"Sit down first, hyung. Even if you continue walking like this nothing can be solved," urged Hyejin. Byul's arm was pulled, forcing his friend to sit next to him. 

 

"It's okay, Hyejin. I'm okay like this," Byul refused while shook his head.

 

"What's your problem, hyung? Can you relax for a moment? Don't panic, cant you? You look like you are going crazy. I can lose my mind by looking at you, you know? What hyung? isn't it enough what i've been doing all this time?" Hyejin complained. 

 

His smelling breath pierced Byul's nose, making him feel nauseous. Byul did not say a word. 

 

"Drink first?" Hyejin's invited.

 

"I already stop, Hyejin. Next time, if you want to take me out again, don't choose places like this. Otherwise, I will not come," said Byul.

 

"So, have you stopped drinking?" Hyejin asked, trying to be sure.

 

Moon Byulyi, whom he has known since school, was certainly not a heavy drinker. But sometimes his friend had alcohol to satisfy the requests of friends at social gatherings. Byul’s father and brother, Minuhyuk also not a very fan of alcohol which they considered to be a bad for their health. Only Byul was entangled in the scene, following in the footsteps of their other friends. Byul was also the only man in Moon family who smoked.

 

"Not only alcohol, I will not touch any water in a place like this, Hyejin. That's enough. I've learned my lesson. I will not repeat it again," said Byul.

 

"Are you serious, hyung?" asked Hyejin.

 

"Do you look like I'm joking, Hyejin-ah?" Byul's asked back in a loud tone.

 

Enough of Byul's words. Hyejin understood the guilt that still gripped his friend until now. Not only Byul, he himself was still reminded of the black incident six months ago. There was a determination that embedded in Hyejin. The purpose of him asking Byul out was actually to end his nightmares for the past six months. He wanted to sleep soundly, free from the sins that poisoned his dreams.

 

"I will propose to Hyuna," said Hyejin. 

 

"You? You want to propose to Hyuna?" Byul's asked him surprised.

 

"Yes," admitted Hyejin.

 

"I will take her as my wife to atone for our mistakes. I'm tired of watching you live like a crazy person," said Hyejin.

 

Byul's eyes were rounded shocked when he heard Hyejin's plan. Unexpectedly, Hyejin who seemed calm for six months seemed calm and often acting to soothe Byul’s turbulent soul, apparently already thinking that far. Neither he nor Hyejin himself had ever known Hyuna closely.

 

In fact, they were surprised because Kim Hyuna, who came from an influential family, was willing to keep quiet about the matter. No police report has been made on the case of Hyuna. Hyejin father's people gave the information to them when they were asked to investigate.

 

"What are you talking about?" Byul asked.

 

"Maybe Hyuna is embarrassed and her family doesn't want to bring this matter up. Or maybe she doesn't care at all. But I still feel guilty. I want to be responsible. Even though for six months I pretended to be calm, in fact I can't sleep well. Look at your situation, you can't stop talking about what happened that night. The reason it happened was because of me." explained Hyejin, voicing his feelings out. 

 

"I'm the one who should have married her, Hyejin. Not you. I did something wrong to her. I won't let go of this. Frankly, I'm ready to take her as my wife. If you really want to help me. Help me plan Hyuna and my wedding. Help me find an idea to explain to Minhyuk hyung. Not by offering yourself to be responsible," cut Byul.

 

"But hyung, you don't love her at all," Hyejin said recklessly without thinking long.

 

"Then, do you love her? You love Kim Hyuna? "Byul asked again.

 

Hyejin was silent.

 

"It's not just me, Hyejin-ah. You also don't even know Hyuna. We don't know anything about her except from people's stories." added Byul.

 

"But, this is the reason why I kidnapped her. If I hadn't done such a stupid thing, it wouldn't have happened," said Hyejin.

 

"Are you willing to marry the cousin of the girl you love? How are you going to deal with Sunmi after this? Hyuna and Sunmi are sisters, Hyejin. If you marry Hyuna, you will not be able to run away from Sunmi," said Byul, relentlessly suppressing Hyejin's feelings.

 

"I don't know if I can do it or not but I will try," Hyejin said in a weak tone of voice, as weak as his heart when thinking about Sunmi's reaction later.

 

"You can't marry her, Hyejin. You still can't forget Sunmi. You still love her like before. I should be responsible for Hyuna," said Byul.

 

"Are you willing to marry a girl who nearly took the life of your brother? If I can't run away from Sunmi, do you think you can run away from Minhyuk hyung?" 

 

This time it was Byul's turn to be silent. 

 

"Byul!" called a voice that quite familiar to Byul.

 

Byul and Hyejin both turned around, looking at the tall man who was carving a smile behind them.

 

"hyung?" said Hyejin who was surprised by the presence of Minhyuk when they were busy talking about Hyuna.

 

Hyejin's heart was filled with anxiety, afraid that Minhyuk would hear the details of their conversation earlier. He was sure that Minhyuk will never forgive them both if the man knows about the mistake they made on the girl he loves. 

 

"It's good you're here too, Hyejin. I have an announcement to make." said Minhyuk who was still smiling.

 

Cheerful ripples on his face, different from the pale face they had encountered at the Stanford six months ago. Moon Minhyuk was completely healed. He had already begun to turn a new page in his life, leaving behind the dark history of the past without realizing the turmoil of the souls of Hyejin and Byul. 

 

"I want to get married! I've decided to end my single and lonely life." said Minhyuk.

 

Minhyuk's shoulder was patted warmly by his brother. His gaze shifted to Hyejin who also smiled, happy to hear the shocking news from Minhyuk.

 

In their minds, Minhyuk's heart has withered to make love again after being left by Hyuna. Apparently they were wrong, Minhyuk was never phobic with love.

 

"Who is that lucky girl, hyung?" Asked Hyejin.

 

"Who else? It must be my first and last love, Kim Hyuna. We're back together now!" answered Minhyuk cheerful.

 

Hyejin and Byul's facial expressions changed immediately when the name came from his lips. They turned around, looking at each other. 

 

They had no the idea to speak. Minhyuk's desire to take Hyuna as his wife was like a curse for Byul. The punishment felt too heavy for him to bear.

 

"Why her? She hurt your heart. She is the reason you are trying to end your life! Why Hyuna, hyung?" Hyejin asked.

 

"Cut the crap! Love again! That thing doesn't exist, hyung. It's just your inagination!" Byul replied coldly.

 

He stood up, facing his brother almost as tall as him although their faces had quite same features eventhough they were not twins. 

 

"Could you stop talking like that again, Byul? I don't like  the way you said about love," Minhyuk asked earnestly.

 

"Fine. But please, hyung, not Hyuna. Anyone else but her ... she's not for you," Byul persuaded. 

 

"What's wrong with you, Byul? You know I really love Hyuna, right?" said Minhyuk. Byul bowed silently, making Minuhyuk felt completely wrong.

 

"We will discuss this later. There are more important things that I want to tell you guys," said minhyuk.

 

Byul's hand that was on his shoulder was dropped. He sat back on the high bench that he left next to Hyejin.

 

"Hyuna asked me to tell you. Sunmi invites three of us to her wedding." said Minhyuk.

 

As soon as the news reached Hyejin's ears, he slamed his face into the bar table. He forgot for a moment about Hyuna and his intention to take responsibility for the tragedy that befell the girl.

 

His hand missed Sunmi's touch. His cheeks missed the girl's kiss. Until now he still remembers the perfume that Sunmi often sprayed on his body. Hyejin missed everything about Sunmi. The longing was deeply ingrained every cell of his body so that he did not know how to get rid of it. 

 

"Are you okay?" Byul asked.

 

Hyejin did not answer.

 

"Hyejin!" call Minhyuk, trying to woke their friend who was drifting daydreaming.

 

"Get me a beer," said Hyejin.

 

"Let's go home," suggested Byul, trying to stop Hyejin from took the alcoholic drinks. 

 

He pulled Hyejin's arm out of the bar while Minhyuk took out his wallet, paying the price of his drink.

 

"Why?" Hyejin asked half screaming after they stepped out of bar. He pushed Byul's hand aside. He sat on the

floor, leaning against the wall outside of the bar.

 

"Hyejin, listen here. Sunmi is not worthy to accept your love. Let her go," persuaded Minhyuk who squatted in front of Hyejin.

 

"Then is Hyuna worth enough for you?" Hyejin snapped back.

 

Minhyuk went silent.

 

"Why are you silent? She's worthy of you? You have no right to advice me, hyung!" Hyejin shouted. 

 

"You yourself have had to be thrown away like me. Why didn't you learn to let her go? Now you accept her back. After this, if she plays you again, what are you going to do? Want to jump off a building?" said Hyejin with a sharp insinuation that was like a sword stabbing right into Minhyuk's heart. He got up, standing behind his half-drunk brother's best friend.

 

"Hey!" Byul jerked, forcing Hyejin to shut up.

 

"Don't talk to my brother like that! If I hear this again, I will not tolerate even you too,Hyejin-ah" Byul threatened.

 

He grabbed the neck of Hyejin's shirt. Hyejin's arm was pulled roughly, towards his car which was parked not far away.

 

"Why did Sunmi make me like this?" Asked Hyejin. He once again brushed Byul's hand away.

 

"Hyejin, where are you going?" Byul asked as soon as Hyejin changed his direction.

 

"To Sunmi. I want to ask Sunmi why she acted like this to me. What did I do wrong to her?" said Hyejin.

 

"Could you not be that stupid, will you? The road is not that way, I will drive you to to Sunmi's house," said Byul.

 

He grabbed Hyejin's shirt again, preventing his friend from continuing his steps.

 

"I want to see her," said Hyejin. 

 

"Grow up, Ahn Hyejin!" Byil scolded.

 

The shout realized Hyejin from his illusion for a moment. He sat in front of the car, sneering at himself for letting the alcohol he had just swallowed control him. There were complaints on his lips. An upset complaint that made him forget about Sunmi and then remembered Hyuna.

 

"I'm sorry," Hyejin said in a slow voice. He closed his eyes for a moment before opening them again.

 

"After this, promise me ... that you will stop drinking. I don't want you to live like this. Come on, we're not kids anymore. We have to learn to be responsible for what we've done," Byul asked , once again inserting its own meaning behind the words. The meaning that only he and Hyejin could understand. Her brother, Minhyuk was only able to look on with suspicion.

 

"I'm trying," Hyejin replied before patting Minhyuk sour-faced's shoulder.

 

"I'm sorry, hyung," he said. Minhyuk nodded.

 

"That's it. I don't care. But you two have a promise. You two must come to Sunmi wedding. You, Byul, have to learn to be forgiving and Hyejin, you have to learn to accept reality. Can you?" requested Minhyuk.

 

Byul nodded weakly while Hyejin still lowered his face, guilt to voice out what was in his soul.

 

__________________________________________________________

 

 

The mansion of the girl of his dreams caught his eye. The luxurious house hidden in a spacious garden with colorful floral decorations looked like the hell of the world in Hyejin's eyes. In the house, Lee Sunmi will he married to a man who Hyejin did even not know.

 

The rose tree in the front yard smelled musty when the fragrance penetrated his nostrils. If wanted to follow his heart, he wanted to poison all the roses in Sunmi's yard, let the yard of Lee Empire's luxurious house disappear. Let it all died. Died with Hyejin's unrequited love. Where was his mistake? He him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter