Chapter 13

Let it be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

A cloudy sky covered the sun from shining the earth. The dry winds of the city were blocked from passing into the air-conditioned rooms of her office. The window was never opened because of fear that the pieces of paper stacked on the desk in the room would fly away.

 

There was no living thing in the room but herself. Two bookshelves loaded with files labeled and arranged in order of importance stood to the right and left of the table.

 

Next to the computer in the right corner of her desk, there was a frame that matched the color of the set of tables, chairs and couch in her office. Inside the frame was kept the only treasure that she considered the most precious thing in the room, a photo of EunByul when she was 8 months old in her arms. Yongsun remembered the pictures they took before she and EunByul went abroad for her work. 

 

"Miss Kim, there is someone who wants to see you," said Sujin, Yongsun's assistant through the intercom.

 

"Okay," Yongsun replied. 

 

The door opened without being knocked. Kim EunByul ran into her mother’s office. Yongsun quickly left the desk to greet her. A hug was given to EunByul even though she was shocked by the presence of her daughter. The child jumped in joy.

 

"Joohyun-ah, why did you bring her here? Is there something wrong with her?" Yongsun asked her friend who was walking behind her daughter, also the daughter of the owner of the nursery where Eunbyul spends time while she working. 

 

"You are too busy, Yong. We sent a notice a month ago, telling the parents that today the nursery closes early," explained Joohyun.

 

Now she had only remembered the notice of the nursery area renovation work that would take place this afternoon. The nursery was only open half a day, from 8 in the morning to 12 noon. She looked at her watch, which was already showing 1afternoon.

 

"I'm sorry, baby. I forgot. I don't remember nursery closed early today." said Yongsun, imagining the sad face of her daughter waiting in front of the nursery gate while watching other parents come to pick up their children home.

 

Eun byul pursed her lips for a second before wrapping 

both her hands around Yongsun's neck. 

 

"It's okay, mommy." replied Eunbyul softly. She kissed Yongsun's cheek.

 

"Thank you so much, Joohyun-ah," Yongsun said as she took her daughter's bag from the other woman. 

 

"It's okay, Yong. It's good that I know your office. Next time, if you don't have time to pick her up, just ask her father to help." said Joohyun. 

 

Yongsun forced herself to carve a thin smile as she heard her friend's suggestion.

 

"Okay, I will go first, Byulie," Joohyun said. Eunbyul kissed the young woman before bowing and thanked her. Joohyun pat her head. 

 

"You're doing very good in educated her, Yongsun. She is good at respecting older people." praised Joohyun before squatted next to Eunbyul. The little girl's cheeks were kissed warmly, proud of her actions. Even though she was only 5 years old, EunByul was not much like other spoiled kids. She was much more mature than other children her age. There was only one problem, Eunbyul took a long time to get used to the people she had just met. 

 

"Bye, dear," said Joohyun, waving at the little girl. Occasionally the question arises as who Eun Byul's father was in Joohyun's mind. However, Yongsun who always to avoid answering her questions caused she never asked the question that still haunts her mind until now. Maybe there was something about Eun Byul’s father that Yongsun was trying to keep from her. 

 

The door was pushed roughly before Joohyun could pull it. She was almost thrown backwards.

 

Sujin, on the other hand, ran wildly from behind with her five-inch heel, trying to stop the stranger from rushing into her boss's room without permission. But she was late.

 

"Byulie!" the man shouted loudly, making Yongsun's knees loose and almost fall over. Her eyes widened, surprised to see the man appear in front of her. 

 

"Miss Kim, I've tried ..." Sujin said in a weak voice. 

 

"It's okay, Sujin. Let him in," Yongsun replied before Sujin had finished her words. 

 

"Daddy saw Byulie enter mommy's office earlier. So, daddy quickly coming here," said Byul, who failed to control his longing.

 

This was apparently EunByul's father. Answered all the questions that nestled in Joohyun's mind all this time. But now another question arises. Why did Yongsun had to keep a secret about Eunbyul's father? There were no flaws in the man. Her father was handsome and taller. His face was quite identical to Eun Byul's face.

 

"See you again, Joohyun-ah. Bye," Yongsun said before pushing the door in front of Joohyun open and Sujin who were still staring from outside.

 

"What drama is this, Byul?" Yongsun was angry. Byul’s jokes were getting more intense. Byul pretended to have known her for years while they had only talked once or twice.

 

"Mommy, who is this?" Eun Byul asked as she pointed her finger at Byul's nose as the man who claimed her father was kneeling next to her. 

 

"Crazy person, Byulie," Yongsun replied as she twirled her index finger next to her head, signaling that Byul was crazy.

 

"So pity! Handsome but crazy," said Eunbyul before she pulled both sides of Byul's cheeks. 

 

"Uncle, do you want candy? Do you want some?" asked Eunbyul, as if she was asking a small kid.

 

"Yong!" said Byul, glancing sharply at Yongsun's direction before turning his gaze to his daughter. He pulled her little body into his lap. 

 

"I'm not crazy, baby. I just miss you, Byulie."

 

"Is he my daddy, mommy?" Eunbyul asked once again as she pointed a finger at Byul's face.

 

"No. He is mommy's friend, baby," Yongsun explained.

 

"Byul, can you please stop this nonsense? You confused her. She's only 5 years old, Byul. Kids are always quick to have hope, you know. Don't toy her," Yongsun said, expressing her anger.

 

"You're so sensitive. Like having period.." teased Byul. 

 

"What are you saying?!"

 

"Nothing," Byul denied as he put his index finger to his lips, signaling to his daughter not to repeat his words earlier to Yongsun.

 

"I think Byulie won't mind if I'm being his father. I'm handsome," said Byul.

 

"I mind!!" Yongsun scolded him. 

 

For a moment, the focus of her eyes seemed to be fixed on the handsome man who was busy looking at her daughter. Byul was indeed identical to Eun Byul. Their hair looked brown under the room lamp.

 

Both had shining eyes, had pointed noses and triangle mouths. If not for her sane mind, perhaps she would have dared to voice the possibility that Byul was the biological father to her daughter.

 

But the probability was too slim. It was impossible that the son of a famous businessman was the father of Eun Byul. Yongsun wasn't crazy enough to make a false statement that would drop her own face.

 

"Why are you looking at me like that? Is there anything wrong?" Byul asked, trying to guess what was in Yongsun's mind that was not expressed in words.

 

Could it be that she remembered something about their dark past? Could it be that Yongsun already knew that he was Eun Byul's biological father? Byul was anxious. His daughter's body was pressed against his chest. If Yongsun already knew the truth and refused to accept his presence, Byul would not hesitate to run Eun Byul away with him. He didn't want to part with his daughter anymore. 

 

Yongsun's gaze fell to the floor, embarrassed by Byul. She raised her face for a moment, looking at the handsome man wearing a blue shirt and black slacks who was already comfortably sitting next to her daughter. 

 

Byul tried to carve a smile but Yongsun didn’t respond. Her gaze was thrown at the desk, looking at the computer still on and the unfinished work. Then, his gaze fell on Eun Byul. Pity seeped into his heart.

 

"You always think about work. That's why every time I call, there's always the excuses from your secretary," said Byul, sneering as he realized that Yongsun was looking at the files on her desk.

 

"When did you call?" 

 

"Many times. But, I didn't leave a message. If I told you to call back, it's not like you wanted to call me back, right?" said Byul. He placed his hand on the small shoulder of his daughter.

 

"Good that you know. Why did you come here? Are you looking for a fight with me?" Yongsun asked, annoyed.

 

Byul just smiled. "A lot of work today?" He asked, trying to change the topic.

 

Yongsun nodded. "Yeah. A lot."

 

"Hmm ... Yong," Byul called softly. 

 

"Can I take Eunbyul out? Only if you allow it. I want to go for lunch but I have no one who wants to accompany me. If possible, I want to bring Byulie for lunch with me,"

 

"Won't she bother you?" Yongsun asked worried.

 

"Never. It's not like I want to accompany her, I want her to accompany me. " Byul said.

 

"Byulie, you want to go out with uncle?" Yongsun asked, her daughter's hair. 

 

"Daddy," Byul cut out. 

 

"Byul!" said Yongsun, glancing sharply at him like a hungry lion. 

 

"Fine," Byul said as he raised both hands, admitting defeat. 

 

"Is he going to kill me, mommy?" Eunbyul asked. "My friend said crazy people like to kill people." She added.

 

"What!!?" Byul shouted in surprise. “There you go. Look who's confusing Byulie now. You or me?" He sneered. 

 

"Okay! I'm sorry." She rolled her eyes at Byul before holding her daughter's hand. 

 

"Baby, I am just joking. Uncle isn't crazy. He's just a less sane. He doesn't kill people," explained Yongsun who still wasn't enough to solve her daughter's confusion.

 

Byul cleared his throat, still not satisfied with her explanation to their daughter. 

 

"Less sane? Is that the best you can do?" Byul said, not satisfied with Yongsun's explanation. He felt like the woman was deliberately trying to drop his image in front of Eun Byul. 

 

"Okay," EunByul said.

 

"What is okay??" said both Byul and Yong simultaneously. 

 

"Okay, I will go out with him. I trust mommy."

 

"What do you mean 'you trust mommy'? You don't trust daddy, do you?" Byul asked his daughter. 

 

Eun Byul did not answer. She looked at her mother with question marks.

 

"Are you hungry, baby?" Yongsun asked, worried about hearing her daughter's weak voice that seemed tired. 

 

"A little," Eunbyul replied, laying her head on her mother's chest. "Will you come with me?" She asked her mother. 

 

My cute baby girl, whispered Byul. He wanted to hold EunByul once again, let the small body limp in his arms.

 

The 5-year-old child lives without the care of a father while his father is still alive and trying to pour out a lot of ​​love for her. The short period they went through together was not enough to pay off the love debt for 5 years apart. Byul wanted his daughter to grow up with the love of a father. Unlike him, who lacked the love and attention from his father. 

 

"I have a lot of work, baby. I can't go, my boss will be angry if i don't finish it," said Yongsun.

 

"It's okay, mommy. I will go with ..." 

 

"Daddy." Byul cut out before Eunbyul could finish her sentence.

 

"Promise me that you won't be naughty, baby" Yongsun said while raising her little finger. EunByul hooked her small finger to her mother's finger to seal her promise. Then, she stood on the couch and gave Yongsun a kiss.

 

"I love you mommy" said Eun Byul. 

 

"I love you too, baby," Yongsun replied. She also kissed

Eun Byul's cheeks. 

 

"And I love you three," Byul joked. His hand was extended to Eun Byul. 

 

"Lets go!"

 

"Don't be naughty, Byulie," Yongsun ordered as EunByul stepped out through the door that Byul was holding.

 

"Okay," replied the two Byuls simultaneously. Yongsun carved a smile as she shook her head. True. Both of their names were same. When she mentioned Byulie, she had to refer to both. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter