The best decision

When Blood Meets Silver

The peace that fell over Hyunjin was weirdly overwhelming. Like all the evil in the world had been defeated, like she could rest assured now. She felt so calm, she could even feel her friends' scents reaching her nose as the pain that distracted her started to heal.

"Hyunjin!"

She opened her eyes, and Jiwoo was right by her side, falling on her knees and resting a hand on her hair.

"You're okay!" Jiwoo smiled, and soon Jungeun and Heejin came into view, widened eyes at her.

"They can still be lurking around somewhere, let's take her, quick," Jungeun said.

Jiwoo nodded, and an arm came around Hyunjin's neck and under her knees, elevating her aching body into Jiwoo's chest.

"He's gone," Hyunjin mumbled, as if she couldn't believe it herself yet.

"We know." Jiwoo sprinted, carrying her. "We were fighting and suddenly they called for retreat, saying the leader was gone."

"Is everyone okay?"

"Yes, we're all alive and well."

"Thank the Goddess..."

Hyunjin allowed her eyes to close and her body to relax in Jiwoo's arms as they made their way back. She could hear faint voices becoming clearer, but not the chaos of screams and pain that had taken over just a while back.

But as Jiwoo came to a stop, the sudden silence made Hyunjin open her eyes.

Tons of people frozen in place, staring at her with dropped chins or smiles.

"She's alright!" Jiwoo said.

The silence turned into a burst of cheering and applause.

"Can you stand?" Jiwoo asked.

"Yes."

Carefully, Jiwoo let her down, and Heejin was by her side that same second, holding her arm. She took a better look around the hall. Hyejoo kneeled, eyes shining at Hyunjin, her hand pressing a cloth to Yves' forehead, who rested her back against the wall. Half of her face was covered in blood, but still, she offered Hyunjin a small smile. Chaewon stood by Hyejoo, a hand on her shoulder, her shining, brand new sniper rifle leaning on the wall behind her. Heejin's friends sat with Ryujin at one corner, close to Yeonjun and his friends who helped them earlier, with two other vampire boys. Some wore relieved smiles, others looked down, as if in shame.

No one else was by them, but there was a bigger group of vampires on the other side, sitting in circle with a few slayers standing around them. Those, though, didn't seem very happy in general.

A small group of medics tended to the injured ones, laying down on the ground. Vivi herself, with her clothes stained in blood, rushed from one person to another, checking their injuries, but stopped for a second when she noticed Hyunjin standing at the entrance. She approached her, and bowed at her.

"I don't have enough words to express my gratitude," Vivi said before straightening herself. "We won this battle thanks to you."

"No, please, you all fought amazing. We won this together," Hyunjin said.

Vivi smiled. "We'll take care of everything from here. Please, go home and rest."

"What are you gonna do to the vampires that surrendered?"

"I'm thinking about it. Don't worry, we're not killing anyone else tonight, unless the ones who stayed try and attack us. We'll take them to the headquarters, and I give you my word that we will not hurt them, but we might have to keep them arrested for safety at first. I never expected it, but more vampires turned to our side and helped us fight."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"I'll be holding a meeting of extreme importance tomorrow, and I would like all of you to be there."

"Count on us."

Vivi bowed again. "Thank you again, Hyunjin, and all of you that risked your lives to help us."

"Thank you, Vivi, for trusting us and giving us a chance."

Vivi rested a hand on her shoulder and gave it a little squeeze. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to my medic duties."

Hyunjin nodded, and she turned, going back to the injured ones.

"Are you really okay?" Heejin asked.

"My whole body hurts, but I'm great." Hyunjin smiled at her, holding her hand, and Heejin pouted. "And you? Did you handle those vampires?"

Heejin nodded, but her eyes scanned Hyunjin from head to toe.

"What is it?" Hyunjin said.

Without an answer, Heejin threw herself at her, circling her arms around her shoulders, catching her off guard. But soon enough Hyunjin melted and relaxed, embracing Heejin back.

"I was so scared..." Heejin said, hiding her face in Hyunjin's neck. "You were already so hurt, but you still went, and you did it."

"I was scared, too. I had this... weird talk with Jaebum before we actually fought."

"Talk?"

"Yeah. And I think I have very important info that can help the Silver Blades. I'll explain everything tomorrow, I just want to go home now."

Heejin pulled away. "Yes."

"Are your friends okay?" Hyunjin looked at the corner again, and Ryujin seemed so happy, smiling and laughing with the other girls.

"They are. I heard Ryujin helped them big time."

"What's gonna happen to them? To her and Yeonjun and his friends?"

"I don't know, but I wanna trust Vivi and her judgment."

"She did promise no one would get hurt, and I trust her word as well. I wanna go check on Hyejoo."

"Go, she's been dying to see you."

Hyunjin chuckled, and made her way across the hall to the further back, receiving praises and supportive hands along the way. She could only thank and reciprocate the good work, because she had no idea how to react to praises like that.

The second Hyunjin finally got to their side, Hyejoo jumped on her feet and threw her arms around Hyunjin's waist, pulling her up and spinning her around.

"Hyejoo, ouch, my body hurts!" Hyunjin whined, but couldn't stop her own laughs.

Hyejoo pulled her down but didn't let go of her. Chaewon joined in the hug silently, and Hyunjin beamed.

"You did amazing, the both of you." Hyunjin patted their heads and pulled away, looking at Chaewon. "And you, that shot really saved us. Good job."

"I was just a backup plan, but when I saw you get jumped on just like that, then got your signal, I almost fell down that tree that same instant." Chaewon's cheeks grew red, as she looked back at her new toy. "But I focused hard, and I really made it. I think this thing here is going to be my new best friend."

"It was amazing, and you have to give yourself credit, because without you, we'd be as good as dead before we even got started. I'm so proud of you. Are you both okay?"

"Great. I felt the weird thingie you told me about. The motherer that turned me got what he deserved." Hyejoo grinned and eyed Chaewon. "I felt it the second Chaewon pulled the trigger. She killed my sire."

Hyunjin widened her eyes. "Youngjae was your sire... He got what he deserved indeed. Thank you, Chaewon. I don't think there could be a better person to avenge Hyejoo than you."

"I had no idea," Chaewon said. "But it makes me even happier."

"The Blood Alliance put up a fight." Hyejoo sighed, massaging her neck. "But we're gonna be okay."

Hyejoo instinctively looked towards Yves. Hyunjin followed her sight, and met Yves' gaze on her. She took a step closer and squatted next to her, but neither of them seemed to know what to say.

"Are you okay?" Hyunjin ended up asking, looking at the big, deep scratch on her forehead, near her hair line.

Yves' eyes averted to Hyunjin's forehead as well, staring at the scars that marked her eyebrow. She opened to talk, but closed it and gulped, looking to her side.

"I'm okay."

"I'm glad to know. Good work tonight. Please rest a lot and be sure to recover." Hyunjin awkwardly patted her shoulder.

Yves bit her lower lip and gave her but a nod in response. It seemed like she wanted to say something, but Hyunjin wouldn't push. Maybe another time.

She stood up and turned to Hyejoo and Chaewon. "We're going back home."

Hyejoo fidgeted with her hands. "D-Do you mind if we don't go for tonight? I wanna stay with Sooyoung."

Hyunjin grinned so hard it hurt her face. "You have no idea how happy that makes me feel."

"W-What, why?"

"You know why, don't be a tsundere like me."

Chaewon giggled, elbowing Hyejoo.

"We'll meet you tomorrow at the Silver Blades, then," Hyunjin said. "Rest well."

After thanking Heejin's friends, the vampire siblings, and Yeonjun's friends, Hyunjin got Heejin, Jiwoo, and Jungeun, and the group made their way out of the building.

"Are you okay to walk all the way back?" Heejin asked.

"Yeah. I'll rest when we get home."

In silence they walked, too tired and aching to keep a conversation going. They would have all the time for that on the next day.

As they reached Hyunjin's property, she slowed down and couldn't believe her eyes. Jinsol's BMW was there, right in front of her house.

"This girl..." Hyunjin mumbled, but still rushed, dying to see her, and let her know they're well and everything's okay now.

She barged the door open, and there she was, laying on the couch, fast asleep. Hyunjin took a small step, suddenly wanting to cry. Selene and Diana laid on her armchair, snuggling and sleeping together.

Hyunjin kneeled beside the couch and pushed a strand of hair behind Jinsol's ear. Jinsol moved, slowly opening her eyes, and when she realized who was in front of her, she sat up, looking at the others as well.

"Guys..."

"Hey, Jinsol." Jungeun waved at her.

"W-Where are the others?!"

"Relax, they're staying at the Silver Blades for tonight." Hyunjin sat beside her.

Jinsol blinked, letting things settle in her mind before pulling Hyunjin into the tightest hug. She winced in pain, just like when Hyejoo crushed her.

"J-Jinsol, it hurts," Hyunjin said.

"Are you all okay? What happened? Did you..." Jinsol pulled away, looking around at them.

"We won. Jaebum's dead."

Jinsol's chin reached the floor. "Oh my god. It's... It's over?"

Hyunjin let her back hit the couch. Selene had woken up, and jumped to greet her, rubbing her head against Hyunjin's hands. She grabbed her by the belly and squeezed her against her chest, and now Selene hissed and bit her arm, but damn, did that feel good. Needless to say, Diana was already in Heejin's arms.

"What now?" Jinsol asked.

"Vivi is holding another meeting tomorrow. I guess we're only finding out tomorrow what's happening next."

"Aren't you guys hurt?" Jinsol opened Hyunjin's jacket, gasping with the red stains on her tank top.

"I need to rest to fully heal, but I'm fine."

"She broke her ribs." Heejin shook her head, and even Jiwoo and Jungeun widened her eyes at her.

"She what?!" Jinsol scowled at Hyunjin. "You what, Kim Hyunjin?!"

"Jinyoung broke the ing floor with me and Heejin! I fell badly on a boulder."

"You killed him as well?"

"We did."

"So, is the Blood Alliance over?"

"When Jaebum died, the remaining vampires ran away. Some managed to escape," Jungeun said.

"But there are no leaders anymore, right?"

Hyunjin shrugged. "I really want to rest now. We'll talk again tomorrow after the meeting."

"Yes, I'm sorry, you're right." Jinsol shook her head.

"You can stay if you want to."

"I'll let you guys rest. Keep me updated tomorrow."

Hyunjin got up on her feet and Jinsol did the same, kissing Hyunjin's cheek before bidding good night and left. After feeding, they headed upstairs.

"I know you really want to rest, but we should wash up," Heejin said.

Hyunjin heaved a sigh. "You're right. And a warm shower will feel nice."

They moved to the bathroom then, and Hyunjin took out her tank top, looking at herself in the mirror. Blood dried in several parts of her skin, but no marks whatsoever. Her skin had already healed, except for her neck.

"You too?" Heejin asked.

Hyunjin approached her and moved her hair away, finding the tiny dots scarred on the back of Heejin's neck, from when Jinyoung held them both and his claws dug on their skin.

"Yeah." Hyunjin turned to the mirror again, staring at her chest.

She could have been the one dying that night. Her own knife had been an inch away from her heart. But she was well, breathing, alive. And so was Heejin, and all of her friends. Heejin was finishing undressing when Hyunjin hugged her from behind, a small yelp escaping Heejin's lips.

"Hyunjinie?"

"I love you."

Heejin turned under her embrace and cupped her cheeks. "I love you too. Are you really okay?"

"Yes. I'm just so happy you're here. And proud of you. Of us."

Smiling, Heejin brought her lips to hers in a sweet kiss and rested her forehead against hers. "Doesn't feel real yet, I know. Do you feel at peace?"

"Yes. Not because I got the revenge I sought, but more like... Jaebum was a troubled man. He suffered a lot, but he couldn't get over it and let himself be consumed by hatred and revenge. I sincerely hope he can find peace now."

"Maybe you freed him from it."

Hyunjin smiled. "Maybe. Tomorrow I'll tell the whole story. Now let's shower and rest."

Gathered at Vivi's office, everyone listened attentively, eyes glued on Hyunjin as she told them about Jaebum. Vivi seemed like she couldn't believe her ears when she knew about the creation of the vampires.

"That will certainly help us so much in finding a cure! Now that we know how it happened, we have so many new pathways in our research to explore, study things we didn't before." Her eyes shone, and her grin went from ear to ear.

Hyunjin stared at her, her face blank.

"I thought a lot about what you told me, Hyunjin," Vivi said. "And that's the main thing I want to talk to you about. I already spoke with Yves and other high ranks I trust the most, and everyone agrees one hundred percent with the new measures that slowly will be implemented."

"Measures?" Heejin asked.

"First of all, all experiments that could possibly hurt the vampires will be immediately halted."

Hyunjin's chin dropped. She looked around, to see if she had heard it wrong, but the other girls had the same reactions.

"We will not stop studying and trying to find a cure, and I have a few ideas of other things that can make life for vampires easier, but no more capturing. We will always need volunteers, just like doctors need human volunteers to test new vaccines, for example. But everything will be done under consent."

Hyunjin bowed her head. "Thank you for reconsidering, Vivi."

"No, I should be the one thanking you, Hyunjin. You were a true eye opener."

She couldn't help but smile.

"Yesterday, we won our battle," Vivi continued. "But despite the fact that their leaders were killed, some vampires still escaped. We don't know where they went, or what they can try to do. Will they try to raise a new Blood Alliance? Will they seek revenge on us? We may have won yesterday, but the war still continues."

Hyunjin nodded, eyes down on the ground.

"We all, vampires and slayers, fought bravely yesterday. But I'm sure that we only were victorious because we had vampires on our side. Vampires who equaled their strength and abilities. We always fought them by outnumbering them and using effective weapons against them, but humans will never have the same abilities and sheer force." Vivi made a pause that made everyone look at her. "And this is why, from this day onward, I want vampires to join the Silver Blades."

Vivi seemed amused by their reaction - gasps and chins that could reach the floor. Hyejoo shared a look with Yves, who wore a small smile. Hyunjin only blinked, the information floating in her mind without her grasping it yet.

"With that said, I would like to ask Hyejoo, Chaewon, Heejin, to forgive us for the way we treated you in the past, and coming back to our ranks. And Jungeun, Jiwoo, Hyunjin, we would love to extend you a formal invitation to join us."

The silence dragged, getting more and more tense with each passing second.

"I understand this is a very serious request, and I don't expect an answer right away," Vivi added. "Please think about it, ponder seriously. Each one of you will be provided with a room, training, a monthly wage, and everything else you may need. The positions we've considered you for within the Silver Blades, though, will differ."

The girls exchanged looks.

"T-That's a lot to take in," Hyunjin said, still trying to grasp on Vivi's words. "What about the other vampires you took in yesterday?"

"I'll invite Yeonjun, his sister Ryujin, and his friends to join. They helped us greatly during the fight, there's no reason not to trust them. They're also the ones providing us crucial info, without which we couldn't have won. I will trust their judgment for other vampires they can vouch for."

Jungeun took a hand to , her eyes gleaming and her eyebrow trembling. Jiwoo grabbed her hand, her eyes also getting teary.

"The others that surrendered at the end, begging that we didn't kill them, I can't trust them yet. I'll have them go under investigation first, try and understand their motives. Then again, you can rest assured, no one will hurt them."

"Have you told the rest of the Silver Blades about this?" Heejin asked.

"No, not yet. I wanted to have this meeting with you first, hear your opinions, even suggestions, and I'll announce the reform tomorrow."

"What if they don't agree?" Chaewon frowned.

"Just like some didn't agree with me when you joined us to fight, I'm afraid some won't accept this. And the ones that don't, I'll invite them to leave the Silver Blades."

"A-Are you sure about that?" Jiwoo asked. "Are you willing to risk losing people?"

"I am." Vivi smiled. "I know this is the best option for everyone involved. We get to coexist with vampires, something we never even thought about doing, but I can see it's perfectly possible. We get stronger fighters on our side, give them a new purpose. We gain invaluable fighters and possible cooperation with our efforts to find a cure, and we can provide vampires who want the chance at a normal life and a noble cause with shelter and training. It's highly beneficial for everyone involved."

Yves nodded, staring at Vivi with admiration.

"I won't force you to accept, but I deeply ask you to think about it. As long as there are evil vampires, and the ones that escaped, there's work to do. And I would love to continue working alongside you," Vivi said. "If there aren't any questions, I declare this meeting over."

The silence was explicit. Vivi stood up and bowed. "Thank you again for your help. Sooyoung, please, accompany them outside."

They followed Yves to the main entrance of the central tower.

"Will you come back tonight?" Yves held Hyejoo's arm.

"No, not tonight. We all need to... talk about this."

Yves nodded. "Let me know when you have an answer, then."

The girls left the building, but Hyunjin halted just a few steps ahead.

"Hyunjin," Yves had called. "C-Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Of course."

Standing by the now working fountain outside, Hyunjin waited for her to start. She could hear how fast Yves' heart beat, and she kept staring down.

"Is everything okay?" Hyunjin urged.

Yves finally looked up, her eyes automatically focusing on Hyunjin's forehead.

"Those scars... I gave them to you, didn't I?" Yves asked, staring straight at her eyes now.

"Yes."

"And I... I killed your brother."

It wasn't a question. Yves remembered.

"I don't resent you," Hyunjin said.

Yves clenched her jaw, dropping her gaze. "How can you not hate me? I killed your brother, I hurt you, and you always knew! But even knowing about that, you..." Yves paused, her body relaxing and her lower lip trembling. "You still accepted my sister as your own, when I turned my back on her."

Tears fell from Yves' eyes, small droplets marking the ground.

"I always thought vampires were the heartless, cruel ones, but look at me..." Yves balled her fists, the pain evident in her features. "I-"

Hyunjin took a step closer and circled her arms around Yves' torso, resting her chin on her shoulder. "Stop beating yourself up. Instead of dwelling on the past, look ahead at the future. At how far you made it already, and how much further you can go."

Yves stopped breathing for a moment, but as she broke into quiet sobs, she hugged Hyunjin back. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..."

Hyunjin let her cry, gently rubbing her back.

"I can never thank you enough for what you have done for Hyejoo. If it wasn't for you, I probably would have never had my sister back." Yves pulled away when she had calmed down a bit, and cleaned her eyes. "And Heejin and Chaewon as well. They're like little sisters to me too."

"I know, Heejin told me a lot about you. And seeing you all reunited is more than enough. Neither of us knew any better in the past, but we're different people now. Seriously, don't worry about that."

Yves smiled. "I'll try."

"I should get going, they're waiting for me."

"Of course. And Hyunjin, not to pressure you or anything, but I would really like it if you all joined us."

"Totally sounds like pressure." Hyunjin chuckled. "Don't worry, we'll talk and think about it for real."

"Thank you. See you soon."

Hyunjin waved goodbye, joining the others on their way back, the invitation fully occupying her mind.

Hyunjin told everyone to spend some time alone, so they could gather their thoughts before meeting later during dinner to discuss their decisions.

The sun was setting, the sky a beautiful gradient of blues and pinks. She sat on the grass, on that spot she loved, where she could see Seoul ahead and all the beauty of the sky. But she knew she wouldn't last long alone.

"Can I join you?" Heejin asked.

Hyunjin patted the grass next to her. "Had Jungeun tracked me again?"

"Ha ha, so funny." Heejin sat down. "I can do that alone now. Even without tracking you, I knew you would be here."

"Oh, did you now?"

"Yeah. We talked here before, and kissed here."

Hyunjin tried not to show much of the grin.

"Have you gotten to a conclusion?" Hyunjin asked.

"Yeah." Heejin fidgeted with the grass, ripping a couple leaves from the ground. Hyunjin turned her neck to face her. "I'll accept," Heejin said, and she could see how serious she was. "I lived many years with them, they helped me when no one else could. I have family there, and now they're willing to change. I can't and don't want to turn my back on them."

A hand rested on top of Hyunjin's, Heejin's fingers quickly entangling in hers.

"Come with me, Hyunjin."

Staring at Heejin again, Hyunjin found the pleading in her eyes.

"Our purposes are still the same. We still get to fight, you don't have to go on that road alone again. People like you, they admire you even! Everyone else will join for sure if you do."

"I would never ask you not to go back, Heejin. But... I still don't know."

Heejin opened , but sighed instead and dropped her gaze.

"I'm not refusing." Hyunjin squeezed her hand and brought another to Heejin's face, caressing her cheek. "I'm just asking for time to think. I know there's still a lot to do, always vampires to hunt, and now we have to worry about those who escaped. It's just... this is all very new and going too fast. From us being captured, to fighting together and being asked to join them. I'm sorry."

"I understand. I don't want to force you to join if you end up not accepting it. We can still... be together, right? Because I will join them despite your answer."

"O-Of course!" Hyunjin panicked. She changed positions, sitting in front of her and cupping both her cheeks. "Heejinie, I love you. It doesn't matter that you join them. Even if I decide not to, I still love you, and want to be with you."

Heejin kissed her lips, soft but urgent. "I love you, Hyunjin. Thank you for understanding."

"Thank you as well for giving me time. I feel like I didn't even process yesterday, and now this. It's really a lot in my head."

"Do you want me to leave you for now?"

"No, I want you here now. What I really meant is leaving for like, a week or so. Me and Bumblebee. I also need a break for myself after these chaotic months."

"Oh." Heejin pouted.

"I'm not running away, don't make that face." Hyunjin pinched her cheek.

"I know, and I understand. I'll miss you, but I'll remember that you promised to always be safe. Do you want me to watch over Diana and Selene while you're away?"

"I'll leave them with Jinsol, it wouldn't be the first time. But feel free to nag her if you wanna go visit Diana."

Heejin chuckled and kissed her again. "Whatever decision you get to, I know it will be the best decision for you."

The best decision...

Deep down, Hyunjin felt like she knew it already.

---

A/N: YVES REDEMPTION ARC!!!!!!! I am a er for redemption arcs yep yep

I remember crying while writing the scene where Yves apologizes and all, I was listening to The Truth Untold while writing it and got so ing emotional lmao hope I could convey the feelings well!

So, the next chapter is the last one already, god I'm gonna cry just thinking about it... I'll bring a surprise, though! See you all there ♥️

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic
Ko-Fi -  ko-fi.com/itzloonatic