The Singer

ROOKIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Singer


 

Kim Jongdae always knew he liked perfect things. He liked his hair to be perfectly swept up by hair gel and his clothes perfectly ironed and his things perfectly placed. He doesn’t really remember when he started doing everything perfectly or why but he knows that he liked it that way and hates it when it is not.

So when he first saw Chanyeol weaving through players to get to the goal with the small ball, it just blew his mind how perfectly executed that was. It just made him feel so good like he had scored the ball himself.

And that fascination with the footballer perhaps paved way for friendship for his roommate who he always had been in some sort of disagreement with. He hated the fact that Do Kyungsoo always throws his things around, that he would just strip in the middle of their room and have the audacity to leave his clothes where they are.

This would result in bickering between them where he would ask Kyungsoo to clean it up and the guy lazily grunting that he will but he never does.

There were actually millions of things he could complain about Do Kyungsoo but then it was not like he could help it so he tries to look at it from a positive light. Do Kyungsoo was a generous person, that he would agree and high-key love the most about this guy.

This boy was not affluent but he had zero reservations about his money or things so Jongdae has quietly resigned to taking or using his things that he literally throws about as a fee for cleaning up after him.

But thankfully, after that one faithful game many months back, they had come back and discussed at length how wonderful the game was and from then on, they bonded. Their differences suddenly became… normal and they co-existed in harmony safe for getting on one’s nerves everyone once in a while.

But then, he liked it when he was alone.

So on that beautiful Friday noon when the breeze was blowing and the leaves were starting to shed, leaving beautiful traces of red, yellow, and brown on their campus… he enjoyed the natural imperfection.

Nature and its imperfection was the only imperfection he enjoyed.

Humming the new Latin song their choir was practicing and even that solo which he wishes was his but isn’t, he carried his bag and strolled along the red trees lined up between the footpath and the road.

Oh. He loves this place which is why he takes this road even though there was a shortcut to his dorm. This was a part of the campus that people without cars don’t usually come so needless to say, he enjoys this stroll.

He grits his teeth when he suddenly recalls the anecdote that Kyungsoo had shared with him last night on how he had sat and eaten with the Park Chanyeol and Kwan Chay!

It had been the perfect moment and opportunity to MEET them officially but he just had to have classes then.

To be honest, Kwan was the least of his type. She was not the most well-groomed lady he has met rather she was… quite on the carefree part. He noticed, from the short amount of time he and Kyungsoo had been witnessing her she did not have many clothes. Rather she seems to have some pieces that looked incredibly cheap but then there were also pieces that were limited ones, super pricey ones so he was puzzled.

Was she rich or poor?

If she was rich, why would she keep on wearing just some clothes on a rotary process? She wears this one shirt on Monday and then she’ll wear it on Friday but then again if she was poor, she would be unable to purchase least get her hands on those limited pieces.

Which one?

For him, he liked girls who are proper and well-groomed. Girls who seemed like they take proper care. Like Irene Sunbaenim. Goodness! That woman was a force to be reckoned with. She was always polished and wonderfully on point. Her clothes, hair, and accessories were always perfectly coordinated and although she was a cosmology student, their buildings were close enough so he always has glimpses of her every now and then making his heart race to the moon and back.

But right now, like Kyungsoo had said he needed to get closer to Kwan so that he can rise up and perhaps gets solos like his popular seniors. He doesn’t need to date her although Kyungsoo seems to fancy that idea a lot and especially after yesterday saying that they’ve formed a bond and now were closer than ever before.

Kyungsoo had always been rash and so he had to take extreme caution when with him but he cannot deny that his rashness been useful at times although most times, his rashness tends to land them in trouble.

He sighs and looks at the perfectly lined up trees and wished that he also had some of Kyungsoo’s luck. But then luck was not really his specialty.

However, a sight makes him halt in his steps and stare in awe at the scene in front of him. Kim Kai was standing there in all his glory holding a camera pointed towards the trees.

Gosh! If there was a man close to perfection it would be this man. Even as a man himself, he couldn’t help the ‘ba-dump’ of his heart at the sight of the man whose hair was tousling about by the slight breeze, the designer clothes that looked as though it was made for him, the long, manly hands working on that camera… Dang. If he were a woman, he’d lay himself down at this moment for him.

He shudders then, at his own thought, and looks away feeling his face heat up. What on earth had caught up to him?

But he supposes his love for perfection made him like so.

Putting his conscience at ease, he looks up to see Kim Kai again and perhaps be able to ‘steal his look’ as some magazines put it. Well… to exactly copy his style would be impossible given that he was probably wearing designer clothes but hey… knock offs exist for a reason.

He watches the man put away his camera and walk away and maybe Kyungsoo had rubbed him off a little too much because he found his feet following the said man.

What was he doing? What on earth was he going to gain from following this guy?

Kim Kai walked with a certain aura. He walked as though he knew exactly how hot he was and for that reason itself, Jongdae wanted to smack his head… at least just once.

Despite feeling extremely guilty as well as a creepy guy, Jongdae nonchalantly followed him acting as though he had classes wherever this guy was going. He felt his stomach growl a little and sighed softly. It was lunchtime and he was going to grab some food but then Kai intercepted it so… Oh well… there were more important things than food.

Kai stops somewhere and he stops as well acting as though he was checking his phone. Kai does the same but he puts it to his ear indicating that he was calling someone. Jongdae was far enough not to hear what he was saying but judging by the small smirk on his face, he seemed happy with whatever the talk was about.

He finishes his call and turns in his direction making Jongdae slightly panic and follow hurriedly.

He walks towards the sports building and stops as though waiting for someone and somehow… that moment seemed so perfect to introduce himself. Perhaps it was Kyungsoo, it certainly has to be the Kyungsoo effect on him that he found himself right in front of the man he had been watching.

Kai raises one of his eyebrows at him and he panics. What on earth was he thinking? Why was he here?

“Kim Kai,” His voice surprises himself at how steady it sounds. “I’m Chen from the Performing Arts.”

The guy cockily raises another eyebrow as though asking ‘so?’ Well… that’s right. So? So what? Why on earth was he introducing himself to this guy?

“I was wondering if we could have lunch together?” Okay. That he did not know where it came from. He honestly should stay away from Kyungsoo but then this was exactly how he had got to eat with Chanyeol. Please… he should stay away but more importantly and urgently, can the ground kindly break open to let himself in?

Kai scoffs and Jongdae thinks the scoff is well deserved. He should run…. He should really run but then his pride made his feet hold themselves firmly to the ground making him unable to even move.

“I don’t have lunch with just anyone, buddy.” The guy gives a smile that’s quite blinding but cocky enough to make him want to kind of just… punch the guy. “Maybe when you’ve earned a name, I’ll consider it.”

Okay. But what does this Kai think he is? The president of Korea? .

He was seriously about to retort, in fact, he had already opened his mouth to do so when Kai waves at someone behind him and smiles blindingly again.

“Kwan!” He calls out and Jongdae gulps. ! She might recognize him. Why are his legs not cooperating with him today!

“Hi, Kai Sunbae.” A monotonous voice sounds from behind him and he looks down at his legs to ask what on earth was wrong with them. They probably froze because he has never been as daring as this. Talking to Kai alone was heart-attack-inducing no wonder his legs are useless now.

“Your friend?” Her voice continues making Kai’s eyes travel to him again. He sneers though and it makes Jongdae’s blood boil. Just because he was a fresher right now with no big achievement doesn’t mean he cannot earn it. Why was he looking down on him so much?

“Just some junior,” He snickers like he still couldn't believe his audacity. “Says he wants to have lunch with me.”

There’s a moment of silence making Jongdae’s heartbeat and humiliation drummed on his ears. Where would he hide from here? Thankfully he had his back to Kwan.

“Then come on,” She finally speaks, her voice bland as usual. “Let’s get lunch.”

Jongdae felt some sort of relief wash over when she finally says that. At least they will leave her alone. Kai gives him a glance again and walks around him to follow Kwan making Jongdae literally sigh out loud.

“Huh? Why aren’t you coming?” She calls out after a beat. “Weren’t you grabbing lunch with Kai Sunbae?”

For a moment, the sky suddenl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter