The Mystery Footballer

ROOKIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Mystery Footballer

 

 

There was a girl in her track team who was in the third year, the same as her roommate. Her name was Joy and she was certainly a joy to be around.

She was pretty, slightly taller than her, and had long red hair. Plus she could run like the wind. Kwan really looked up to her for everything. Besides, they were going to be competing together for the summer event and she couldn’t be happier.

So it came as a little surprise when her roommate suddenly mentioned her one night as she came back from practice. “You… um… seem close with Joy.”

First off, she was surprised that Irene knew Joy at all. Joy was also a sports major like her but she closes and nods instead. She shouldn’t ask unnecessary questions.

“We were classmates in high school,” Irene answers her though making her smile a little. “We’re not really close but we know each other.”

Kwan settled down in her bed and listened.

“Would it… um… would it be okay if you ask her to hang out with us? Together? Maybe for lunch?” This was the first time Irene even remotely looked… nervous. She was usually nonchalant and indifferent.

But she gave it a thought. Joy was always surrounded by groups of friends and they only talk during practices when the older girl was giving her some pointers or cheering her on.

“I mean you don’t have to do it if you’re uncomfortable but… just…” Irene mumbles as she tore open a packet of marshmallows.

Kwan eyed the soft candies, recalling the warm chocolate drink that Chanyeol made her drink just some days back. She certainly liked that. Perhaps they could go there? If Irene was asking, she would pay… right?

“I could ask her…”

Irene looked surprised but her eyes sparkled and she had already forgotten the sweet on her lap. If only Kwan could just reach out and take it. “Really?”

“Mmm…” Kwan’s eyes flitted between Irene and the marshmallows. “We could go for a warm drink… or something. After practice. That’ll be nice.”

Her roommate smiles at that, brighter than her normal smiles, and places the packet on her table. Kwan thinks the sweets would go to waste if she just keeps it like that.

“Great.” She began mumbling as she dashed to her wardrobe and began picking some clothes. “When will you ask her?”

Kwan had already stood up, ready to go for the marshmallows but her question makes her pause.

“Um… tomorrow?”

Irene turns to look at hers looking nervous for the first time… and was that blush on her cheeks?

“Tomorrow…” Irene turns to look at her array of clothes again making Kwan sigh and take the packet of marshmallows with a huge smile. Normally she wouldn’t take things like this but with sweets, Irene would open the packages and just leave it like this so Kwan had learned that taking it was the best option or it would go to waste.

Bringing the soft fluffy sweet, she puts it entirely on and almost moaned at the sweetness melting inside . If only some hot chocolates could be presented.

“No. Wait. Not tomorrow. I have to go shopping. Ask her the day after.”

“Alright,” Kwan replies absentmindedly chewing the sweet with vivacity. She really liked Marshmallows. Back in her hometown, there were never any marshmallows.

“You can take this…” A shirt is suddenly thrown her way making her break out of her creamy heaven. “and this… take this as well…”

Well… She got marshmallows and a bunch of clothes. She really couldn’t be happier.

* * *

 

Junmyeon scoffs loudly as soon as he entered the campus that morning. On such a cold day as today, Byun Baekhyun really took the advantage of garnering people’s hearts.

In the middle of the humanity’s department, Byun Baekhyun along with some of his lackeys including a lot of Final years were standing there in the cold handing out warm coffees.

“Don’t they even have classes? What does he think he’s running for… The president of Korea?”

This cunning bastard has already ruined his day for today. Might as well ruin his.

He goes to the front where Baekhyun was giving a speech as his lackeys hand out coffee, right where Baekhyun can see him. There’s a pause in his speech when their eyes made contact making Junmyeon smirk and raise an eyebrow.

“Our savior in the coldest of winter…” He says dramatically as he takes a cup and warmed his hands on it.

Baekhyun purses his lips and frowned but continued with his speech.

“I only wish to bring about the best for us in our four-year journey. I have been here for three years and I have seen a lot that could do with a change. For most of us, College is a mere four years in our lives nevertheless we know of the impact it has on our future. It is, therefore, utterly important that we make the most of it.”

He finishes his speech with some polished yadas that Junmyeon could care of any less and the people cheered and clapped.

“I am looking forward to all of your support. Thank you.”

Junmyeon chuckled shaking his head. If only he was really like this.

“Oi,” He calls out as Baekhyun turns to take his own cup of coffee. “Where’s the dummy? I thought you cannot live without him.”

There’s a strain in Baekhyun’s smile as he calls that out loudly but the smaller guy sighs and ignored him, drinking his coffee.

“Oh right!” Junmyeon continued, his voice still loud. “He has a new person to wag his tail to… Boo hoo… it must be so sad.”

The people around threw him glares and angry mumbles but he simply scowls back. Like they know what their beloved idol was like.

“Cut it off, Kim Junmyeon.” Lee Jongsuk, the fourth-year ghost calls out. Wasn’t that guy the current president of the Journalist club? Gee. He really knows all the hotshots. “Take those banters somewhere.”

“Flattered that you know me, Mr. Journalist.” He laughs as he turns his attention towards the pale boy. “Working in media surely makes you a good tool to use.”

“Oh… I’ll know the college’s best-known biker boy. I’ve covered enough of your expeditions not to know you.” The tall boy smirks. “Although it is truly disturbing to see you going for all of those… charity drives when in reality you’re just a foul-mouthed person who knows nothing but to catcall someone for doing something. Also ing anyone who’ll open their legs to you.”

He raised his eyebrows appreciatively at that.

“Well… At least you’re not a dummy.” Junmyeon replies, nodding his head making the pale boy roll his eyes. “Perhaps a bootlicker for the gold?”

Junmyeon would have laughed out loud at the expression that decorated the boy’s face. His pale face went even paler than before, his jaws tightening immediately.

Baekhyun lets out a small cough at that and comes in between them.

“Junmyeonie. For the sake of old times, let us just part ways cordially. Please do not ruin everyone’s day. We only came here to offer warm coffee for rushing students.” Junmyeon gritted his teeth wishing he could just punch that self-satisfied smile out of his face. “If you’ve had your fill… kindly scram.”

“Oh!” Junmyeon chuckled loudly. “This coffee surely is something. You really know your taste… Strong and tall, huh? Can I get a refill?”

If Baekhyun was pissed, he did not show instead he smiled serenely. “Yes. I do not enjoy sweet and milky as you do.”

Junmyeon smiles as well as he took another cup and patting Baekhyun as hard as he could on his shoulders, he made his way to class.

“That .”

* * *

 

 

It was Kim Minseok. The midnight runner had been Kim Minseok; that really boisterous guy who only traveled by means of being hoisted up by beefed-up players.

It was around midnight that they ran into each other, this time at the exit. Like the last time, he had a ball in his hand, his hair tied like a coconut tree, his breath misty and white. Kwan did not really know what to do when they simply stood and stared at each other.

So she did what her mind told her to do. She bowed low at him and backed up with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter