The Midnight Runner

ROOKIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A little summary: Chanyeol is a who is accused of cheating on his girlfriend Kwan. Kwan is well... unhappy and they decide to break up but we find out that they were literally the most awkward couple and were only a couple because of Sehun's pranks. But beneath all these, there is something big going on... probably a scheme and almost everyone suspects Baekhyun lmao. All the other characters have been introduced but we are yet to know a lot of them individually or in dept. However, no problem at all. We will know. Kyungsoo and Jongdae and Kwan are getting close as friends and Junmyeon is also getting involved in her life.

Chanyeol has redeemed himself and is now a better person (or so we know) and Sehun seemed to have a secret that we are yet to find out.

 

 

The Midnight Runner

 

With the winters coming, there were lesser and lesser people in the stadiums giving Kwan more opportunities to be all by herself for practices. Recently, it felt as though things were going rather well but also rather annoying because a lot more people seem to be approaching her.

Honestly, she did not mind much when Kyungsoo and Jongdae come by ever so often to have breakfast or lunch or dinner with her, in fact she was enjoying their company and at this point, she thinks she can count them as her friends.

But then other than that, she was still following her old schedule of studying in the library or doing her assignments and running out for practices.

So having a moment like this seem so rare now.

With autumn, the weather was so pleasant that a lot of people practiced late into the night but with the air turning biting cold, they were retreating faster much to her joy. Letting out a breath of relief, she smiled a little and stretched her tired limbs.

She was just thankful that the place where she comes from was super cold and that the winters in Seoul were almost nothing in comparison, no wonder she can practice in this biting cold.

Her roommate had accompanied her to the ground surprisingly but retreated after a minute of looking around and seeing no one. Sometimes, her roommate just does the oddest things but then she wasn’t complaining.

She smiles as she recalled Irene sunbanim wanting to come to her track practices and sitting there for almost an hour as Kwan ran around with her track mates.

It had been a little comical as her roommate suddenly turns up every now and then in the ground as though looking for someone. Usually, she says nothing but sits there glowering at people until Kwan is done and they retreat.

Perhaps, her roommate actually loves sports and regrets that she could not do them so she comes to watch them…?

Cracking her stiff neck and letting out another huff of breath, Kwan finishes her warm-up and she began to jog lightly. Usually, she was always jogging to build up her stamina but these days due to series of events, she hasn’t been able to exercise and practice as much as she liked.

Lost in her thoughts, as usual, Kwan runs around the lonely, quiet field until all that she hears are distant honks of cars and her breathing.

Grabbing her towel and a water bottle, she collapses to the ground and laid there looking over the dark sky.

Usually back in her hometown, whenever she lies like this, there were gazillion stars decorating the skies but over here… she never sees any.

She thinks of her hometown, her family, and friends of the old days until the cold gets to her and she decides to go back.

However, a sound makes her stop and she looks around to see what was going on.

In the far corner of the field, a small figure was slowly approaching the field with what could have been a white ball in his hand.

Who was that?

Kwan raised her eyebrows a little, surprised that people were coming at this hour to practice. But it was a little strange. There were no upcoming football matches soon and so the footballers were taking it slow… so why would anyone come during the dead of the night to practice.

Perhaps for the first time since coming here, she was curious about a person. From the figure approaching, Kwan was certain that he was a man but not someone from the football team. She’s seen enough of them to actually be acquainted with their shapes and sizes… This man was rather… small?

He had his hair tied up like a palm tree, she noticed as he got closer to the field. She had to thank that she was seated just below the bleachers making her almost camouflage into her background. There were few chances of him noticing her.

Besides, it felt a little awkward and intrusive to his privacy if she moved now.

Also, she was curious.

He stops, drops his bag and other things, and began stretching. He was still far off to not be recognized but he looked sort of familiar. She had probably seen him once or twice before.

He began kicking the ball and doing some tricks with it making her actually be impressed at how good he was.

“Is he really not on the football team?” She murmured silently as she watched him play for some time. However, almost as soon as he starts, he drops to the ground most likely panting making her click her tongue and shake her head. “With that stamina, I am sure he’s not in it. But he’s really good.”

She shivers slightly as the cold seeped into her exercising clothes and she decides that she had to get out of here or she’ll become sick… She was just thankful that her exit was far from his so that meant she could go by without him noticing,

It was easy getting out of there without being noticed but as she turns back one last time at the exit, he had sat up, his back to hers looking… mournful with the ball in his hands and for many strange reasons, Kwan wanted to go up to him and ask him if he was alright.

Perhaps he’s had a bad day?

But she shrugs and walks out knowing well that she wouldn’t know what to say if she were to go up to him.

Park Chanyeol had left her a missed call and a text when she returned and she bit back a smile at that. It was true that he had been a majorly bad person but at least he owned it and apologized to her and after that, he had been very cordial with her reaching out to her and taking care of her much better than ever before.

She liked it.

In fact, she liked him. Irene had shaken her head with an annoyed click of her tongue when she had told her that.

“Isn’t he a lucky bastard?” She had growled. “Look at it, Kwan. He doesn’t deserve you! Don’t tell him that now… just wait and see if he truly changes. I don’t believe in like him.”

So that was the reason why Kwan wasn’t being as approachable to Chanyeol as she had been before besides, her roommate made her promise that she asks her regarding anything to do with Chanyeol ‘so that you know you’re not being used.’

For that, she was grateful.

“Back from practice?” Irene mutters to her as Kwan got out of her hot shower. Irene had been out when she came to her room before. “I was in Wendy’s room.”

Nodding her head, Kwan goes to apply the lotion that Irene had given her.

“Unnie,” She calls out, her curiosity strangely still intact but on a different matter this time. “Do you like running?”

Irene who had been rummaging through her bag stops and looks at her with a strange look.
“Why?”

Kwan takes the time to think. “You come with me to practice every now and then to sit and watch us run and you’re always buying running items like limited item shoes and even tracksuits. Besides, you never miss any running competitions out there. You know, the last time you even finished writing your test early to come to watch us?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter