The Trio

ROOKIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Trio

:)

Footballers only had one goal in their mind when they played and they kick a small ball for hours just to reach that so perhaps that had made Chanyeol into what he was today. Giving up wasn’t in his dictionary and when he set a goal for it, there was nothing that could stop him.

From the moment he woke up this morning to his morning runs to his classes and now during lunch, he just had one goal and that was to apologize to Kwan. He did not care for anything in this world right now. Irene could come and threaten him but he did not care. All he wanted was to say sorry to Kwan and be done with it.

Kwan deserved apologies after apologies. He, on several occasions upon not understanding her, had lashed out on her even though she had been innocent. She was innocent and yet he had decided to blame it all on her.

How stupid can he get and why wouldn’t anyone just tell him that he was stupid? Why does it feel like he just woke up from something right now?

Besides now that he was out of his stupor, he was thinking that all of these are too fishy. What was going on? Like Baekhyun had said, were those girls grouping together to get him and Kwan apart?

Kwan also told him that some girls came to her to tell her about his ‘cheating’ ways after all. Was he reading too much into this or was it all some stupid plan to pull him down?

His playing was affected because of this and he had shouted at Kwan even though she did not deserve this. It will too much of a coincidence if these were all just... unplanned.

So here he was, waiting for her classes to end hoping with all his heart that Kwan will have the heart to listen to him. At least for the apology.

It would be amazing if they could come together again but after this, he was ashamed. There was no way he would force her anything from now on. If it was her decision and tell him not to talk to her ever again, his heart would be broken but he would respect that.

Kwan comes out and his heart jumps inside of his chest. As usual, she had her head hung low like she had the burden of the world on her shoulders and for once, he wanted to lift that off her.

How should he approach her?

The best thing was not to force her into anything so he goes and stands right in front of her path but she expertly avoids him making him sigh.

“Kwan,” He had to call out softly so that she doesn’t go away. He needed to say sorry at least.

Kwan looked a little surprised to see him which should have been a given since he shouted at her the last time they met.

“Can we go somewhere and talk? I really need to tell you something.”

She looked conflicted for a moment but nods her head hesitantly look wary. Was she scared that he will shout at her again? Well, if he was in her place, he would be.

They walk together turning heads towards the cafeteria but right now Chanyeol thinks how perfect this feels. As simple as walking alongside her made him feel happy.

He glances at Kwan from time to time trying to work out how he should begin.

“Um… Did you had breakfast?” He asks as they walked. Thankfully it was lunchtime now.

Kwan nods her head. “What about you?”

“I did.”

Now what? He was trying to make small talk but he really did not know what to say.

“Did… did you attend the game? I tried looking for you but I did not see you so…” He trailed off feeling too embarrassed for saying that out loud.

However, Kwan clears a little and nods her head. “I was there. It was… amazing. You played really well.”

Chanyeol naturally feels his face heat up. “Um… thanks.” He mumbles trying to bite down his smile.

“You’re… really the best.” She continues making him feel like he could just burst.

“St-stop it.” He complains, hands on his face. It was already too much.

“No. I really do mean it.”

“I know!” He whines as he tried to fan his face. Usually, when people complimented him, he loved it but when it was Kwan… it just feels as though he could die.

They thankfully reach the cafeteria and Kwan’s attention went to what was on today’s menu. One thing Chanyeol was sure about Kwan was that she loved eating and he wished he could just make her eat whatever she wants, Sehun says it was not good.

‘Girls these days hates it when boys buy things for them.’ He had advised so Chanyeol never tries to pay for her food especially if she turns him down… but today upon knowing that Sehun was literally , he was going with his instincts.

“Are you getting just that?” He asked looking worried. Their university does not give lunch cards rather it was just up to them to buy things to eat. “Aren’t you hungry?”

Breakfasts and Dinners were already paid along with the tuition fee but not lunch. He was still puzzled as to why that was a thing.

Kwan frowns at that and nods but her eyes were on the other food present there. Chanyeol smiles at that wanting to squeeze her cheeks to death. She was just too adorable.

“Here. Let me help you.” He says taking her plate and heaping up food upon food. “I’m paying for both of us.”

Ah! If he wasn’t looking at Kwan at the moment, he would have missed the gleam of pure admiration from Kwan towards him. It was actually quite a heavy amount that he had to pause and clutch his heart and pant a little because she was just super cute.

Was she planning his murder?

Kwan worked almost the whole week save for Wednesdays and Sundays so he sort of pieced together that she wasn’t all that rich.

‘If she’s working means she doesn’t want to rely on a man, stupid,’ was what Sehun had said.

So as they settled down on a table with both their plates’ mountain high, Chanyeol couldn’t help the happy sigh escaping his lips as Kwan put her hands together to say a short prayer for the food.

See. This was all so nice and he just had to ruin it.

If she were to give him another chance, which she had already given him by the way, he wasn’t going to mess it up again.

She digs in and he digs in too. There is a comfortable silence, as it usually was when they were together which Chanyeol glancing up to her from time to time until their eyes meet and they both choke on the food.

The two people coughed violently as their hands reach for the unopened cartons of milk. Chanyeol rips his open, trusts it into Kwan’s hand, and takes hers which she was still struggling to open.

So the commotion settles down and the two are red in the face, unable to look at each other fearing what might happen.

“Haha… That… was bad.” It was Kwan who breaks the ice making Chanyeol nod but still refuse to look at her. “Let’s eat slowly.”

He nods again and they began eating again but this time, the silence is awkward.

“Um… Good… lunch,” He tries as he put a piece of chopped spam into his mouth. “I’ll say.”

Kwan nods. “Very good. Indeed.”

They eat but this time they both just stuff their mouths and turn to the opposite sites.

Silence ensued and they kept chewing diligently until the food is gone and they had no other excuses but to talk.

They look at each other but turns away as soon as their eyes meet feeling the awkwardness just rise up and dominate.

CHANYEOL! You can do this! Talk to her and apologize!

He clenched his fists below the table and takes a deep breath.

“Um… Kwan,” He begins, hands shaking. “I wanted to say sorry to you.”

Kwan finally turns to look at him again but this time thankfully the two of them don’t look away, the air turning a little sober. “I realized that I’ve been a terrible boyfriend to you this whole time and that you don’t deserve all the that I gave you.”

Kwan’s eyes traveled down to her empty tray as though processing what he was saying. He also noticed Kwan does that a lot. She always takes some time to process as though weighing out what the other person was saying.

He doesn’t know why but he just loved that about Kwan. It felt as though she takes everyone’s word properly and not for granted.

“Um…” He continues a moment later, “I apologize for kissing those girls,” She winces at that, and Chanyeol’s heart thump like a giant going on rampant inside his chest. “But I can confidently tell you that I did not mean to cheat on you. They promised me they’ll teach me how to treat you better.”

He lets out a sigh feeling better by the minute. He has never been this sincere with anyone in a long time. Just sitting and letting out his troubles.

“I am sorry for shouting at you and being a ty person when you don’t deserve anything of that sort.”

Kwan's eyes darts around his empty plate and hers but Chanyeol knew she was thinking. A moment passes by and his heart is in his throat.

Then she nods. It was a small nod.

Letting out a soft sigh, he continues. “I know I don’t deserve another chance but I really want to make it up to you. I’ve been terrible. I’ll totally understand if you don’t want to see me again as well although that’ll hurt like .”

Kwan looks up to him at that and she blinks as though registering that.

“No.” She says looking absolutely serious. His heart immediately fails inside his chest. “I… I… You’re my first friend here and…” She sighs as though finding trouble as to what to say. “Would it be okay… If we can still be friends?”

Hope fluttered inside of his stomach and he grins at her although there was still a bitter tinge at the back of his tongue. He doesn’t want to be her friend. He wants to be her boyfriend. But this time, he wasn’t going to do anything that’ll be troublesome to her.

“That would be great.” He smiles at her. “Let’s still eat together, study together and practice together… you know, like friends.”

Her face brightens at that and she nods her head.

They can start all over. For real this time. And slowly, he can try winning her over again.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter