The Actor

ROOKIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Actor

(I love him so much I could just cry but I won't)

“Stop!” Jongdae was holding him back, as usual, making Kyungsoo almost give an angry shout. Why couldn’t Jongdae be brave for once? Why does he always have to be such a ? “You cannot go to the girl’s dorm! You’re crazy! If anyone sees us there, they would automatically assume us to be creeps!”

“But I see so many boys in there all the time. We’ll be okay!” Kyungsoo had just come up with a brilliant idea which was to wait for Kwan at her dorm and ask her to be her friend as soon as classes end today and he was just about to execute it if not for Jongdae.

They had been more or less following Kwan around because Jongdae was too much of a to talk to her. Of course, even he would admit that it was sort of intimidating whenever Kwan so much as look into their direction making him all nervous, but at least if he was waiting with a plan, that would be so much easier, right?

But Jongdae just doesn’t get it!

Yesterday they had seen Kwan get into the library and it was because of his brilliant idea that they followed her inside. To their surprise, she met with a guy which made them both raise their eyebrows because she was always alone.

Who was this person and why does he look so familiar and how on earth did he even get in touch with Kwan?

“He’s part of the journalism team,” Jongdae had announced when they settled down some tables away from the duo who were interacting. “He was there last month to cover our musical drama. Heard he’ll be the next ‘it’ thing.”

It was not really a surprise when Kyungsoo heard that. This Kai person was extremely handsome, very well dressed, and had the air of… knowledge about him.

They very nearly got caught because as they hurried down to chase after the duo, they nearly had a heart attack when they saw Kwan looking straight at them standing still at the end of the staircase.

Dang. And then they embarrassed themselves in front of the duo.

“Well… thinking about it… let’s just return.” Kyungsoo abruptly stops and turns around making Jongdae baffled and follow him. The embarrassment was yet to die out.

“What happened again?”

“You wanted me to stop. I stop.”

“Yeah, but what happened? Are you still embarrassed about yesterday because I clearly am? I cannot for anything appear before her right now.”

Kyungsoo nods his head solemnly and pouts as they returned to their dorm.

“She saw us even today though…” He lets out a little sigh making Jongdae sigh miserably too. “And she was even talking with Baekhyun Sunbae. If we had gone to her right then and there, we could have been talking with Baekhyun Sunbae!”

“True…” Jongdae gave a little pout and shook his head. “She seems to know all the seniors.”

“How is she friends with that Kai?” He wonders out loud, “She seems to be friends with everyone already. We should hurry. Even yesterday she had dinner with Sehun and Chanyeol sunbaes despite them breaking up. See? She has all the links. We better hurry before she finds other friends!”

“Don’t you see how she is closed up and unwilling to make acquaintances, much less 'friends' with people around her?" Jongdae sighs miserably, "I overheard her talking to Kai Sunbae yesterday about some favor she owes him. Clearly, we have to have a pace. And even today with Baekhyun Sunbae… it did not look anything like ‘close’. They probably were just being polite with each other.”

That was bull. They were both all smileys and besides who on earth has a pace to make friends? Clearly not him.

But he says nothing to that and drifts off as Jongdae began rattling on some other nonsense. On such a fine day as this, all his classes were done and dusted so going back to the dorm really sounds unappetizing.

“You know what? I think I’ll go grab a cup of coffee. Want to come along?” He asks his friend who only shakes his head.

“I have vocal classes in 30 minutes. You go have fun.”

They part ways and Kyungsoo walks away from the dorm a little further away from the campus for the first time. He and Jongdae were practically always together and Jongdae had always been unhappy about leaving the campus so all the drinks they ever get were some cafes inside their campus.

So today he was free and he thought it’d be nice to go somewhere.

He kicks some imaginary rocks giving his best acting and recalled some of his lines until he stumbled upon a busy-looking café right across the street where he was walking. Hmm… a good-looking place only a stone's throw away from their campus? Way to go.

But as he lifts his leg to cross the road to get to the café, a delicious aroma of fried chicken attacked him and he had to turn around to see where that smell was from.

Just a few feet from where he stood, an adorable little chicken place happened to be there making him wonder just how many food stores this street has. Not only the café and chicken place but dozens of places like ice-cream plazas, more cafes, fast food diners… etc were lined up in this street. How was that he was yet to know this place?

Ah. Right. Kim Jongdae.

His eyes come back to the chicken though as he notices a couple of people walk in and out with satisfied smiles on their face and that was enough for him to forget about the café and go to the chickens instead.

Besides these days, his diet for his new role in the play was making him cranky. He could use a break.

The place had a huge head of a chicken as a mascot by their door which looked too realistic for it to be cute and rather looked scary. Yet… It was somehow… attractive.

There were a handful of people in there all of them gorging their chicken and he recognized one or two from the college. Most probably all of them were from the college.

The smell of chicken, if it was strong outside was tenfold inside. His mouth watered and he hurried to get a seat.

His jaws slacked, however when someone came to get his order.

Was that Chanyeol Sunbae seated just a table away from him? All alone as well? Well !

Standing up and waving at the waitress, he gestures that he was going to be sitting with Chanyeol.

“Also can I get half and half?”

He takes a seat despite his heart hammering. Chanyeol looked up from his phone when Kyungsoo pulls out a chair.

Perhaps it was a mistake, perhaps he should run but… No. He was going to go for it. Despite Chanyeol who looked hella scary with that frown on his face and the expression that said ‘do I know you?’ and ‘you actually have the audacity to?’ he simply bows and takes a seat.

“Hello Sunbae, I’m Do Kyungsoo from the first year. Can I please sit and have a meal with you? I came here all alone.”

Chanyeol says nothing but scoffs at him and returned to the phone. He was being completely ignored but at least he did not chase him away so it was okay.

But damn! He couldn’t believe that he was seated with THE Park Chanyeol of LUFT! Damn! If only someone would take a picture of this and upload it to their website. He could almost picture people coming to him to ask him how he developed such a relationship with him! Damn… That sure was nice.

The silence was awkward as because words were sitting at the tip of his lips unable to bring it forth because Chanyeol was too busy looking annoyed and tapping away at his phone.

“You’re not eating any, senior?” There. He finally asked.

Chanyeol paused his tapping but did not even give him a glance. A minute passed and he finally gave a slight shake of his head.

Oh! First conversation! Oh gosh!

“I’ve ordered half and half! Would you like to join me?”

The senior gave a small sigh and ignored him so he shuts his mouth.

But it was excruciating. Knowing that friendship with Chanyeol was within his reach and he not being able to do anything!

“I hope the game this Sunday goes well. I’m a huge fan. Has never missed a match.”

At that Chanyeol gives him a small glance so he pushes on. “You’re one of the best players out there. Definitely international level, I must say.”

Bingo! Chanyeol seems to be positively reacting to it as he sits up a little straight and even tousled his hair, tongue in cheek.

“Our university is so lucky to have you as the football captain. The matches are truly wonders to watch.”

Chanyeol puts down his phone and nods grimly, acknowledging what he said. Phew… Now they were making progress.

“What was your name again?”

“Do Kyungsoo, Sunbae but you can call me D.O. I am a fresher who’s majoring in acting.”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes and folded his arms. “Why are you sitting here?”

“I just… thought it’d be nice to have a company.”

Chanyeol scoffs again. “I have company though.”

Kyungsoo felt his face heat up at that but gave him a small smile. “I am sorry if I am disturbing you. I’ll just take another table.”

However, to his relief Chanyeol swats the air with an annoyed look. “Just leave. She’s working so you can just eat.”

She’s working? Kwan was here? She’s working? It came just at the tip of his lips but refrained from asking. He supposes it would be rude to ask about another person’s girlfriend.

“Wait,” Chanyeol suddenly puts up his hand, “You said you’re the first year. Do you know Kwan? My girlfriend, Kwan Chay?”

Oh. Oh! He was the one who actually mentioned it. YES!

“I do know her,” He grinned. Oh ! This was an opportunity. If he says he knows Kwan, surely Chanyeol was going to acknowledge him too! “We’re all from the first year after all.”

“Oh…” Chanyeol says nodding his head but gave him a suspicious look making Kyungsoo gulp down his fear.

“I mean we’re not really that close since we’re from different departments but we all… know… each other.”

My damned goodness. How and why am I lying so much? Before Kwan comes here, he has to devise a plan to make her know him. But how? Gosh. If only Jongdae was here. He was better with planning.

His heart hammered and he could feel his palms watering from all the sweat.

Was Kwan working here? What if she comes out now? What was he going to say? Would she recognize him?

The food comes and he heaves a little sigh of relief.

“Do you take any classes with her?” Chanyeol was the first one to take a drumstick and start gorging on it but he did not mind. Not at all. In fact, he was proud of the fact that he was EATING with THE Park Chanyeol! “How’s she like? She’s smart, isn’t she? Does any boy talk to her?”

Kyungsoo gingerly goes and takes a drumstick while shaking his head slightly. “I’m… um… in the p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter