The Best Friend

ROOKIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Best Friend

(You can't sit with us vibe)

 

 

“Hey, hey, look…” Kyungsoo shoved his phone into Jongdae’s face making the latter sigh angrily. This guy really had no sense of space. “This jacket… It’s on sale right now. This… Chanyeol Sunbae wore it, I think.”

But at least he brings some good news every once in a while.

He looks at the picture and swipes to check if it really was the jacket Chanyeol had been wearing.

“I think so. Wait…” Saying that he brings out his own phone and some swiping later, he brings the two phones side by side to compare. It was the photo that was featured in that break-up news.

“It is the same one... Let’s get them.”

Kyungsoo lets out a whoop and excitedly places an order.

“It is expensive but since it is on sale, this is the only time we can get it,” Chen states the obvious as he folds his legs and turns around on his chair to look at Kyungsoo who was now already sprawled in bed. “The other day I saw his shoes and those are limited edition ones…”

He stands up with his hands held behind his back and walked to the window.

“You think Kwan would notice us if we wear these jackets?” Kyungsoo asks taking a pillow and flopping down on his stomach.

Jongdae shrugs his shoulders and sighs studying the bright sky outside. “Maybe...”

A large part of his brain was telling him a huge big nope that she wouldn’t, but when you are a desperate first year trying to climb the social ladder, you will be willing to do anything.

“Once we get to Kwan,” Kyungsoo sighs dreamily, clutching the pillow even tighter. “We would automatically be accepted into their circle… I mean, she is Chanyeol’s ex-girlfriend. She must be friends with his other friends already, right?”

Jongdae titled his head and squinted at the sky. He has not really seen Kwan talking to anyone else other than Chanyeol but until yesterday he did not really care much about Kwan.

“Maybe?” Maybe she talked to them while they were out of his sight. It was a huge college after all and all the sportspeople were from the other sides of the campus… so it was only natural that he had not seen her talk to anyone other than Chanyeol.

“I can’t wait. We’ll be invited to every party and get any girl we want… Maybe I can be friends with Sehun Sunbae as well…”

A dreamy glaze fills Kyungsoo’s eyes and Jongdae rolled his eyes at the dreaminess of his roommate. The problem with Kyungsoo was that he was easily carried away so he had to rein him back every now and then but then sometimes it was because of Kyungsoo’s far-fetched dreams that actually makes them achieve things.

He remembers how Kyungsoo had rashly filled in roles for the main leads for a musical drama although it was clearly written that only Juniors and Seniors from acting classes could submit, however, his rashness was taken as confidence and although they did not get the main roles, they were given significantly important roles.

Of course, they were also known as great singers so that added into the factor too…

Jongdae sighs and thinks about what they should do in order to make Kwan their friend. Like Kyungsoo has said, if they wanted to be friends with Chanyeol and enter their circle, the most accessible road was Kwan.

If they get close to Kwan, naturally they’ll get close to Chanyeol. And if they start hanging out with Chanyeol and his friends every single person on the campus will get to know them and once the seniors were out, obviously the 'it' people would be them!

Man. If they were popular, naturally their social media accounts will blow up and even more roles will be assigned to them… Who knows… this might be the pathway paved towards his stardom.

He might even get a solo in their upcoming college festival. They still had quite some time to reach that event, so he had plenty of time…

Taking out his phone and looking into his timetable, he places it back and sighs. He has to take it slow… That was the only way around.

“YOU KNOW WHAT?” Kyungsoo sits up, his eyes shining with excitement. “We go and ask her number. You sing for her and we get it!”

Jongdae slaps his forehead and stops Kyungsoo from going out the door with his newfound quest. This wasn’t going to do.

 

* * *

 

“Chanyeol-ah,” His coach called him out making him get out of a reverie he was just lost in only to notice that he was in the middle of the field with his teammates running around. Crap. He got lost. "Are you not feeling well?"

He was okay so he simply shakes his head a little and jogged a little closer to the coach not missing the angry glances thrown his way by his teammates. What are they glaring for?

“Buddy. You should rest. You’re going through a lot.” Zhang Yixing seemed to be happy though as he cheered for him from the sides in a loud voice.

"Alright... If that is the case," The coach says lovingly, "Then why don't you take a breather and sit this one out?"

Yixing smiles brightly at that and shows him a thumbs up. Of course, that son of a Yixing would be happy to hear that.

“LAY, TAKE CHANYEOL’S POSITION.” Their coach shouts from the sidelines making Chanyeol grit his teeth in anger. Was the coach actually asking him to sit out simply because he was a little distracted today? Pssh! What is the team going to do? They can't even kick the ball properly without him being there.

Yixing jogs over to where he was and pats his shoulders, heavily at that and runs towards where he should be standing.

Cursing everyone inside his head, he dragged his feet towards the bleachers. He’s never been called out like this before so it felt all too weird. What on earth should he do? Should he just call it a day and go away? Maybe if he storms out of there, the coach will feel guilty that he made their star player sit out and apologize.

And yet, the player in him made him watch the game quietly. The game starts with a whistle and the two opponents began to kick the ball, manipulating it in such a way the opponent does not get the ball.

He watches and observes the techniques they used and accessing who was better. He had done this only when he was a fresher in the first few months until his talent made him the main striker very soon. Other than that, when he was not playing or he was injured, he chose not to come over to watch others play. It was sort of stupid.

If pro-footballers were here, of course, that’d be something but these were people who couldn’t kick a ball properly without him.

He watches and observes and with a roll of his eyes acknowledged the vice-captain’s footwork. Yixing always had great control over his body and so with that balance, he was able to maneuver the ball well. He easily weaved between players and got the ball to the other side of the field easily.

Pssh. He could do better.

Yixing gains speed as he approaches the goal and shouts came out from the opponent’s team while the goalie stood even more alert than before. Chanyeol squints his eyes to focus better on the way Yixing was going to aim for the goal with a powerful kick. He was at the center going for a direct hit. BAM! It was a powerful kick making Chanyeol wonder how the goalie was going to defend that but before the ball even reaches the goalkeeper, someone kicks the ball out of the field igniting many groans and shouts.

Even Chanyeol shouts out loud as he pumped the air with his fist.

Take that .

He smirks at Sehun, the undeniable wall of the L University Football Team, and gives him a thumbs up. Oh Sehun, as nerdy and geeky he might be inside the dorms, cannot be denied of his overwhelming role as a defender in their team.

If Chanyeol was an excellent Striker, Sehun was an amazing defender. Their team really could go nowhere without them. Of course, there was the midfielder Zhang Yixing who was also another good player from their batch… but who cares about midfielders who try to become a striker while not being good at it?

Chanyeol smiles contently, happy that Yixing looked unhappy. The coach was already shouting some things to the Chinese guy. Ah… It was actually not so bad, watching from the sidelines.

He smirks a little and stretches his body. He did not even warm up properly today no wonder it felt as though he had lead tied to his legs.

He sighs then and sits down a little dejectedly. In few hours, he was supposed to be with Kwan. Wednesday’s always were his most awaited day after Sunday but today his mind and emotions were in total imbalance knowing that the chances of Kwan waiting for him in their place was highly unlikely.

He glances at the skinny Sehun who was already running around kicking balls away and thought about the offer he had made. Would Kwan really listen to Sehun? He could only hope because he knew quite well how well Sehun talked with girls. He was the James Bond of the LUFT (L University Football Team) after all.

But then why did Kwan not listen to him in the first place? Can’t she see that he was trying to make things better between them?

He sighs even more and slides down the bench until he was sitting on the grass and his back on the bench.

He pouts and looks around the huge field feeling no excitement whatsoever.

His eyes naturally travel around the track that circled the field and it hits him, the exact memory of how he had seen Kwan for the first time.

If Sehun was the James Bond of LUFT, he was the monk. Girls hardly ever caught his attention mostly because he was always too passionate about football and shoes than anything else. BUT then… Kwan ran into his heart a little too figuratively for him to hold back his growing feelings.

It had been Yixing who introduced them, funnily but it was only because Chanyeol forced him to.

The first time he saw Kwan, he noticed her shoes. Those shoes were the female version of the limited edition ones he had just bought and so he thought she had good taste but when his eyes met hers as she ran past him, he figured she could have run with slippers and he would have fallen flat anyway.

It had been a Wednesday too when he first saw her and she was running with a bunch of other runners who were frequently there. From then on, he really couldn’t take his eyes off her even to the point of getting the ball hitting his head and Yixing telling him off once too many times.

But he couldn’t care less. He had never wanted to know anyone more than that girl in a ponytail who had clear, stern eyes and a runner with great shoes, and yet all he could do was watch her week after week because he literally had no idea what to do with the thumping of his heart.

His rivalry with Yixing had begun in the first year itself when Yixing suddenly began to have problems with him in everything and they became such great rivals that they began to fight at every single thing. Thankfully when they face a common enemy, they become a great team but other than that… they really were oil and water.

So when the girl that caught his eyes ran towards Yixing and they began talking with that bastard showing off his dimples to the girl, he really, really hated him. Even more, than he had ever hated him before.

Come on! He was the one who had been watching her for three weeks already, so why does she have to run to that bastard and not him? If she needed anything, she could have come to him.

Perhaps it was anger that fueled him up like never before because he actually got the nerve to stride towards them and forced Yixing to introduce them. For three weeks, he had been silently watching her from the sides wanting nothing more than to talk to her, and finally, there he was: standing right beside her and things never fel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter