Like the Moment I First Met You

Thief of Words

Kim Feel- Like the Moment I First Met You

 

There is only one way you can deal with this problem. You have to sacrifice someone. You have to decide.

Those words resonated through Fei’s mind as she stood by herself in the library. She was on the couch facing the entry to the warehouse. There was no case with the arrow of her past but she could feel the new bond that she made with Dohyun. His presence was everywhere, she could literally see him, hear him and even smell his perfume all through the library and it was suffocating.

She sighed and realized that there was no doubt about her choice. She already made it, probably from the moment she had met him. Therefore, Fei got up and entered the warehouse with a cold expression. She walked down the stairs and down the long corridors until she arrived in the very centre of the magical space. The Athena mark was still there and the energy under it was just like a pulsating heart.

“I’m ready. I’ve been ready for a while now.” She muttered to herself although she knew that the gods could hear her. “I’m going to save him no matter what so trust me. Please, trust me.” She added and closed her eyes tightly.

Fei stood there for a minute or so but when she opened her eyes there lied, on the ground, the beautiful book and weapon that many have searched for their entire lives. Fei approached it very slowly and softly caressed the cover. Interestingly enough, it seemed to agree with her decision and somehow could understand her intentions. The Thief of Words mingled with her energy and it slowly seemed to fuse with her. Fei was the Thief and the Thief was using Fei as a host.

When she got back to the library, she was slightly different. Minjae could sense it but it was very visible as well. She just looked...vengeful.

“What will you do?” Minjae asked.

Fei glanced at Minjae and the raven swore he almost felt afraid. Her eyes were incredibly dark and she seemed so authoritarian.

“I need you to fly a bit and then drop this.” She replied giving him a piece of paper. “It’s an address.”

“It’s in Greek.” Minjae noticed. “Where should I drop it?”

“He will find it wherever. He knows it’s part of what he desires.” She said, her eyes gleaming in the artificial light.

“Alright.” He said and left right away. While watching, Death appeared behind Fei with a knowing look.

“What exactly are you planning?”

“Have you checked on him?” Fei asked instead.

“He’s holding on well. But it’s only been a few hours.” Death did not soften the situation, he was realistic. “From what I can see, he could hold it for a month before breaking under its pressure.”

“It won’t take me a month to get Atlas back in his spot.”

“Remember, you can’t kill him. Just immobilize him and we’ll do the rest. Hurt him enough, keep him there, whatever you do just...do it in a smart way.”

“Of course.” That did not sound reassuring.


The raven flew around Seoul for hours, not quite ready to drop the paper just yet. Minjae was sure that something bad will happen to Fei, she was the type of person that preferred to sacrifice her happiness for the greater good. That was the main reason why she did not kill the people who tortured her in the past and why she never truly rebelled against Lord Hwanung.

It was dawn when he finally let the paper go and it was done with a breaking heart.

As the piece flew in the wind, it suddenly started to burn in a blue colour before it turned into nothingness. But it was enough.

On the piece of paper was written an address. If followed correctly, it led to a particular spot in the park.


Time did not pass the same afterwards. Minjae didn’t return to Ethos, instead he flew around a bit more until he stopped in front of Dohyun’s apartment. He moved on the same window sill that he used in order to catch a quick look at what the human did. It was empty now.

Hades was in his office, standing at his desk with his head lying between his hands. He had a headache and Fei was not helping at all. He was the only one left to deal with this mess, something he never liked.

“Why can’t you just do your work and leave me out of this, brother.” He whispered knowing that Zeus could hear him but, unfortunately, couldn’t react.

Death was facing a different sight. He was in the tower, where the vase was kept. It was so interesting how a human boy in his twenties could compete in strength with a titan. Dohyun’s whole body was being taken over by the sphere, it was feeding off of him and at the same time, giving him more power. It was something that could only happen because of the godly seed he had but once it was done, he was dust. That could happen anytime and yet Dohyun didn’t think twice about helping. It was such a difference from the Lee Hyang that Death remembered...this boy was an idiot.

Meanwhile, Fei stood in the library, in the very middle, with her eyes closed. It wasn’t out of her desire to become one with Ethos after so long but because of the Thief. It seemed to be showing her what she didn’t want to see: a happy ending. But once Atlas received the message, her eyes opened and she turned to the front door. It felt like she wasn’t in control of herself for a moment.


The meeting point was not at all near the library since Fei did not want to endanger anyone further, especially Minjae. But she was also aware that it was better to meet Atlas during the day thus she hoped he will see the message in the early hours of the morning. He did, thankfully, so Fei went there quickly.

 

The wind was blowing through her short hair and it sent a chill down her spine. It wasn’t as warm as she hoped and even if she wouldn’t get a cold, it was still uncomfortable and not favourable.

As she stood there, trying to guess from which way he will come, she crossed her arms in front of her chest and tried to keep herself positive. As she turned her head to look to her left, she saw someone coming. Her sight was very good but as the person approached she just couldn’t believe her eyes. Her hands fell alongside her body as she frowned and started to walk towards that person. The closer she got, the more her whole being seemed to react.

“No...” she whispered, tears forming in her eyes.

“Long time no see, Fei.”

It was him. It was not Dohyun because she was very sure he was still holding onto the vase. No, this man in front of her was dressed in Joseon attire and he just gave off a different vibe.

“No. Don’t.” She said, stopping a few feet from him.

“I’m sorry for all the pain I put you through.” He said looking genuinely sad.

Lee Hyang was standing in front of her. Lee Hyang, the man that caused Fei to change everything about her lifestyle.

“You say that but you don’t know anything about him.” Fei muttered, trying to keep herself in check. Hyang approached her slowly and looked deep into her eyes. Fei bit her lip and stopped him from coming even closer with her lance. “It might have worked with Hades’ appearance but this is different. Do not use his face so easily.”

Interestingly enough, nothing changed not shifted in his appearance. On the contrary, his eyes gleamed in the morning light with melancholy as he looked deeply into her green orbs. With slow moves, Hyang raised his hand and caressed her cheek softly. She was crying and she wasn’t even aware of it until he wiped some tears off her face.

“Although you look so different now, your eyes are just the same as when we first met.” He added with a chuckle, making her give a shaky sigh.

“Take your hand off me.” She whispered and moved to the side. She opened her lance and magic uncovered her crystal eye.

“You wouldn’t kill me, Fei. I am your first love.” Lee Hyang said, his eyes falling over her weapon.

“And yet you brought my demise. What makes you so sure that I won’t do the same to you now that I have the opportunity?” She asked, her voice growing colder as did her heart. This man in front of her was not Munjeong. This creature in front of her was endangering someone better than that king, someone who was ready to sacrifice for the world.

Fei attacked him. With Dohyun’s face in her mind, she swayed the lance at his face but he stopped it millimetres away. What were once the eyes of her lover changed into the watery eyes of the titan. He grew taller and more muscular and this intoxicating smell of sulphur spread all around the park. No one was there and it seemed like the time has stopped. She looked to the side and saw Anubis standing there, watching with a poker face. She took a deep breath and prepared herself for what was to come.

Atlas was a Zeus-sized opponent, so Fei didn’t even think she had a chance to kill him. Even the mere thought of defeating him was ridiculous. And yet, she knew she had to give her best, everything she had learned in her life for over 1,000 years. She couldn’t disappoint Ares or, worse, Dohyun. So Fei used her agility to constantly attack the titan. He was much bigger and stronger than her, but that made it even heavier. However, he was very strong. If he got to hit her, Fei knew she would barely be able to get up.

 From a distance it was really interesting to watch: Fei was moving so fast that only a light could be seen and Atlas was like a grey stone that could regenerate in an instant. The problem was that Fei was starting to get tired. She chose the park because she could use nature to energize herself, and yet the smoke coming out of the titan numbed everything around him. At one point she lost her balance and Atlas was able to grab her hand and knock her to the ground. It hurt so bad that her eyes widened. Then Atlas tried to step over her, but fortunately Fei rolled away and got to her feet, though she was swaying.

“You can’t stop me, Fei. You’re not fighting anyone, but the strongest titan. I could crush you right away.”

“And why don’t you? Finish faster.”

“You know very well why I can’t...” he replied with a knowing look. “It’s in you, I can feel it. I can feel his heartbeat. We both know that the Thief is as real and as alive as the two of us.” he added and suddenly disappeared into a puff of smoke.

Fei looked around, turned slowly and listened to the wind. But because time stood still, it was impossible to hear anything. She used her instinct which guided her to move from that place because something big was going to fall on her. She was right because one hand came out of a small cloud of smoke and then withdrew. That hand was almost as big as her. It happened a few more times, pretty quickly even for her. Then, suddenly, something grabbed her ankle and then her hair and pulled her into the cloud. It was impossible to see anything, it was hard for Fei to breathe because it smelled like Tartarus was there and when she finally could see something she realized she was right. He pulled her right next to Tartarus where all that negative energy and that fire that could blind even Death could kill her in an instant. She swallowed hard and heard himChronos. She was flooded with an inexplicable, extraordinary fear that actually kept her from moving. Then she felt herself being pulled back into the smoke and eventually pushed onto the cold cement. Still in that aftermath of terror, it was easy for Atlas to lift her by the neck, as if she were a doll.

“It seems to end here for you, Fei. After all, you’ve lived longer than any other nymph. You should be glad to die at the hands of a titan. Who would have thought, hm?”

Fei opened her eyes and looked at him. He held her neck with one hand while a very large one held her waist tightly. She couldn’t move her hands because they were in that tight grip too. Fei looked into those watery eyes and prayed. She prayed to Ares to give her the chance to use her lance to injure him so that Hades and the rest could intervene. Her prayers were fulfilled and yet not by an ancient deity but by Thief of Words. Her whole body began to glow, so much so that she blinded Atlas. She fell down on her knees and tried to keep her balance. The titan recovered relatively quickly, especially since all four of his hands appeared. He grabbed Fei by the neck again so she wouldn’t run away. Then, with tears in her eyes, Fei opened the lance with the tip towards her. It pierced her chest and went straight into the titan. There was a moan of pain, but Fei didn’t know what was going on behind. She could already see how her body began to dissipate, how she was about to become one with nature and enter the void. A tear rolled down her cheek as time began to move normally again. Anubis, Hades and Hermes were already dealing with Atlas and Fei the nymph disappeared from the face of the earth.