Magic Lily

Thief of Words

Lee Raon- Magic Lily (Cover)

 

After having spoken to Ares himself about what has been going on, Fei felt her heart heavy. The fact that Dohyun was more or less attracted to her because of their connection to the god of war put everything under a big question mark. Moreover, the goddess of wisdom told her that there was pretty much no easy way out of this situation with the titan.

"I hate this." She mumbled before she screamed in her pillow.

With nothing to do and with Minjae up and about (he was restless for some reason) she just didn't want to get out of bed.

"What are you doing?" Minjae asked from the doorframe. He had a mug in his hand with a lollipop sticking out from what she knew was hot chocolate. "Are you still worried about Atlas?" He continued, walking towards her and placing the mug on her nightstand.

"...yes." she said slowly, not looking at him.

"I'm fine, I have regained my power and life, thanks for asking." He started as he sat next to her. Fei sighed and moved so that Minjae could lie next to her.

"Minjae, what if I told you that Eunbin is actually drawn to you by a force that has nothing to do with you? Theoretically of course. What would you do?"

"I'd ask her. I'd make sure that whatever she feels for me is the real thing and that whatever divine power that made us meet is not that strong to make us fall in love with each other. But that's only theoretically, of course. She's probably scared now." He said feeling disappointed.

"I doubt that. She came and watched you every day, she even changed the cold towel and massaged your chest. She likes you." Fei said with a wide smile. "My little raven has finally found a match. How cute."

Minjae blushed but he was also happy. He giggled like a school girl before he started to roll around like a teenager. Fei's eyes widened at how childish he was but she could understand his emotions. When the world was hanging on the shoulders of who knows who (most probably Icarus himself) there were still little moments of peace.

 



When Dohyun asked Fei to go on a trip together, she didn't think he will act on those words. Besides, she got side tracked by important matters that had priority since it could endanger every living human in the world. Every owner of a library like Ethos gathered in the afterlife for a meeting about reinforcements but it somehow ended with them having coffee and gossiping.

Magic libraries used to exist in every country but because of different reasons, such as wars or rebellions or just lack of staff, they lessened to only ten all around the globe. Since Ethos was one of the three Asian branches, the others were in China and India, which were very big countries with a large number of citizens. The biggest ones were in Europe because well, two of them were in Greece, one was in Scotland and another one was in Russia. One was in Egypt and one was in Kenya. The last one was in Mexico. It was quite sad that they were so few and most of them were either retired deities or spirits of nature.

"So then, we all agree that they should hire more people in more places so we actually have an army of our own." Scotland's finest Kelpie said, his big blue eyes shining brightly.

"Let's hope we won't have to fight. A war is not necessary under the circumstances." Russia's biggest and fittest shapeshifter Anton interfered liking his peace.

"We all know a titan will have no problem killing us like flies. We need to prepare ourselves, don't be foolish."

"You speak only of war every time we meet. I would have guessed you were working for Ares if I didn't know better."

Scottish folk were very vibrant, especially a spirit such as Angus. He scoffed and turned to Fei, who seemed to be bored out of her mind.

"If only Ares was here, this whole fiasco would be done with."

"I don't think so." Dido, a woman that suffered so much because she was abandoned by her lover (and he was, incredibly, still an that Aeneas) said staring at Angus while also eating a biscuit. "We need wisdom not strength. Besides, we all know that there are still gods among us. Hermes and Hades know what to do."

"Atlas is not yet capable to fight. We should take the reins now or else we won't have a chance later." Said the Mayan deity of rain Chaak, looking at his half full cup of Americano. "Fei, you work with Hades. What did he say?"

"We're not that close that we tell each other secrets. Why don't you talk to him since you are under constant watch, Sisyphus?"

The punished Greek hero rolled his eyes and leaned back in his chair.

"Look, I got a chance just like Icarus. I wasn't about to say no. Besides, people think that I actually roll a freaking rock all day, every day. The struggle isn't that easy...stupid humans, I am even a part of their philosophies. Tsk." He added clicking his tongue in annoyance.

Fei's phone vibrated so she checked to see if there was a problem at home. To her surprise, it was a message from Dohyun. He had talked to his grand-father and he already planned a little trip for the weekend. Fei's happiness couldn't be controlled. She avoided him the whole week after her chat with Ares and now she was going to spend two nights and three days with him.

The Chinese deity that sat next to her raised an eyebrow and moved closer to her. He was one of the calmest people Fei had ever met and that was probably because Ji Gong, because that was his name, was a healing deity.

"It’s that doppelganger, isn't it?" He whispered, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "Rumours spread really fast when it's just a few of us left. But I get it, you know. If my bride would return to me I would be just as happy. But don't forget that you are not human and we already lost too many libraries. Don't lose focus, Fei." He added sounding just like Hwanung.


Dohyun's plan was to go and spend a bit of time with her in order to escape all their problems. He knew something was wrong because she was always busy whenever he visited. Pirape was doing everything --EVERYTHING-- from taking the orders to cleaning and to helping the customers. The girls loved him because unlike Hikaru and Minjae, the centaur was a different type of man. He particularly appealed to adult women who had a job and money and needed someone to rely on. Pirape was truly very reliable.

Every time he asked, Dohuyn got the same answer from him and Minjae: she's working with Death or she has a lot of things to look over or whatever other reason. So he sent her a message with very few details just because he wanted to surprise her.

However, when the morning of departure arrived, Dohyun was nervous. His hands were sweaty and he only took very few changes of clothes with him. However, he looked like he did put thought into how he dressed and even his hairstyle.

On the other hand, Fei was as usual, maybe less fancily dressed since she knew they were going to spend a lot of time in the bus. As she approached Dohyun she couldn't help but wonder. Was that smile for her? Was he genuine or was it Ares that kept them together? What if this connection was cut, would he still like her? Besides, she had a lot of questions as to how Dohyun got to have a piece of the god of war in him.

"Morning!" He exclaimed and hugged her. A few minutes passed and he didn't let her go.

"You're really taking your time, you know." She said in his neck.

"I missed you."

He was so bold that it made Fei flush. She could never understand how he could be so direct about everything. Her heart beat louder which reassured Dohyun that he took the right decision. He let her go and smiled at her as if nothing was wrong in the world.

"Well? Did you miss me?" He asked leaning in playfully.

"You come to the library every day. I see you every day." She said.

"But you are always doing something and don't have time for me." He said with a pout.

"A titan is walking the same ground as us right now. He could destroy all of us and then go down to Tartarus and help his father out. That's pretty important if you ask me." She replied sounding like a smartass. Dohyun chuckled and wrapped an arm around her.

"That's why we are not going to talk about this subject. No work at all, just fun. I already have the schedule, you just have to follow and not say a word." He said with a bright teeth smile.

The whole ride in the bus was more or less silent. Dohyun was checking his phone all the time and Fei was able to relax for a bit. She leaned her head against the window and watched the scenery for a while until she simply closed her eyes and decided not to overthink her situation.

Dohyun had the impression that Fei was asleep so he put his phone down on his lap and watched her. His eyes softened up and his whole expression was charged with love. He liked her so much that it was hard to put into words. Maybe it was Hyang's fault too, maybe those memories affected him after all, but Dohyun was his own person and he knew that his feelings for her were real. She proved many times that she was an interesting and beautiful person so there was no trace of doubt that he truly fell for her.

He was ready to look at his phone once more when she changed positions and leaned her head on his shoulder while grabbing his hand. It was innocent but it made Dohyun's heart skip a beat. Fei smiled at the soft rhythm of his breathing and wished she could actually fall asleep.

The station that they got off at was in the middle of nowhere but not far from the capital city.

"What now? Are we going camping?" She asked since she could only see trees.

Dohyun already had his phone in hand but he wasn't checking the GPS. It seemed that his grandfather gave him instructions as to how to get there. Fei read over his shoulder and raised an eyebrow at how detailed it was. Thus he took her hand and they started the long adventure towards their lodging.


"Have we gotten lost?" Fei asked as she tried to look for signal.

"Nope. Just a bit more. Trust me." He said although he didn't sound nor look reassuring. "I can find it. I did this before."

"But you haven't been here before." Fei pointed out.

"Shut up," he muttered narrowing his eyes at his device. "It says we need to find a tree with a craving in his trunk and then it's ten feet forward." He said and looked at the trees around him. "It should be around here. Do you see it?"

But Fei was a bit preoccupied with something else. It just felt like the trees knew her. It was weird because she didn't remember this place but they were almost excited that she was there. Even the air was warmer as it grazed her face.

"Found it!" Dohyun exclaimed just as excited. He took her hand and he started to count his steps. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and-"

"10." She said and looked at the way the trees seemed to make way for them into a patch of land that must have been recently renovated.

"Well? How is it? It's my grandfather's secret spot." Dohyun asked cheekily.

But Fei froze. Although the house was not the abandoned home of a shaman, it still looked pretty much the same on the outside. She couldn't breathe properly and she now understood why nature was so welcoming.

"Hm? Oi, why are you crying?" Dohyun asked growing worried. "Do you not like it?"

Fei swallowed nervously but she couldn't take her eyes off the house.

"This house used to be abandoned. How did you find it?" She asked, her voice breaking at the end.

"Now that you mention it, I don't really know. But my family owns it. I don't really know how or when but grandpa used to bring my father here from time to time and tell him stories from his youth." He said sounding nostalgic. "How do you know this place?"

"This is...it's just..." she couldn't speak but her painful expression was enough to make Dohyun understand.

As she walked towards it, memories surfaced. She walked up the stairs and for a moment she could swear Hyang himself passed her.

Looking back on that night, she couldn't help feel like she lost a lot more than her first love.