Frustration

The Nine Percent Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6 : Frustration

 

December 14, 2020

The Running Man members were gathered in the waiting room they usually use whenever they’re shooting the show at SBS building. They still have about 15 minutes before they started so everyone was just lounging around. Some were on their phones, Somin and Sechan were talking, and Kwangsoo eyed the one member he’s so curious about, Jongkook. He didn’t look like he’s overjoy by something, but he didn’t look too angry either, he’s just… way too normal, like his usual self. He’s talking to Donghoon about work and other stuff.

 

Did Jihyo noona even told him? Kwangsoo wondered inside his head. He didn’t dare to ask in case she really chickened out last Tuesday. He resorted to another way, he texted Jihyo.

 

Kwangsoo : Noona, did you tell him?

 

She didn’t text back until it was time for them to shoot. Kwangsoo focused on the job and soon forgot to check his phone to see if Jihyo ever replied. She never did which made Kwangsoo completely forgot that he texted her in the morning but never got any reply.

 

December 15, 2020

It’s the second to last time for the Running Man production team and members to shoot in 2020, they have enough episodes to air so the next time they meet, it’ll be in 2021. Unlike the last few episodes, today they won’t have any guests so it’ll be just the 7 of them. It’s another loyalty race so everyone had fun teasing, accusing, and fighting each other until the last segment.

 

When Bopil PD called cut, Kwangsoo’s phone vibrated. Jihyo is calling him. “Noona?” he answered after the third ring. “Kwangsoo-ya, do you have time right now?”

 

Kwangsoo asked his manager to drive as fast as the law let him to the private clinic in Mapo-Gu. He came as fast as he can and when he saw Jihyo’s pale face and puffy eyes stared at him, he wanted to kick something. “Noona, what happened?”

 

“Exhaustion and over-stress, I think that’s what I heard.” Jihyo replied weakly. “Mianhae Kwangsoo-ya, but I need a guardian and I can’t really call anyone—” Kwangsoo groaned. “This is why I told you to at least let your family know, noona…”

 

He took a seat at a chair beside Jihyo’s hospital bed. “What about Jongkook hyeong? Did you tell him?” Jihyo turned her face away from Kwangsoo. “Why? You chickened out?” she kept her silence. “Ani… noona, I almost had a heart attack when you told me that you’re sick, you’re lucky I know how to act or else, the rest of the team will find out.”

 

Jihyo still stubbornly kept her silence. “Aren’t you going to at least talk to me, noona?” Jihyo sighed. “I did tell him and we fought. He left and that’s it, he hasn’t contacted me since then.” Kwangsoo gasped, he stood up from the chair in surprise. “Neee? What happened?”

 

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Jihyo pulled the blanket higher but Kwangsoo held it before she can cover her whole face. “Noona, what happened? Why did he left?” she ignored him again. “Did I misunderstand him as a person???” Kwangsoo asked, voice rising in anger. “Waaaah, I really—I’m so mad right now.”

 

“Let him be, he can pretend that he had nothing with this baby and I’m fine.” Kwangsoo exploded at that. “Fine where??? Look where you are!” he lost it. This noona always acted like she’s a tough, cold, loner woman when in fact, she’s a vulnerable and fragile one. “Ah whatever, do what you want. What I’m supposed to do here, noona?”

 

Jihyo knew Kwangsoo will try his hardest to not interfere because he’s close to both Jihyo and Jongkook. “The doctor only told me to contact a guardian, he’s probably going to mention something before he discharges me.” Jihyo explained. “Okay. I’ll go look for him now.” He’s more like frustrated so he’s probably looking for a quick exit door.

 

Jihyo fiddled with her phone, nervous on what’s the doctor is going to tell Kwangsoo. She still hasn’t told her family so her real brother had no idea, he’s her usual guardian for this but Jihyo had no choice but to call Kwangsoo. Jihyo almost fell asleep when Kwangsoo walked back to her room. “What did he say?” Jihyo immediately sat up, making Kwangsoo rushed to her side. “Noona, take it easy okay? Why do you move that fast, anyway?” he clicked his tongue in disappointment. “Ah why…” Jihyo whined.

 

“He explained your condition, like what’s allowed to do and what’s not. I had everything in my phone, I will send it to you later.” Kwangsoo held his phone up. “But…” he trailed. “But what?” Jihyo asked curiously. “He told me that you will need to spend at least one night here.” Kwangsoo revealed, making Jihyo groaned. “I can’t just go home?”

 

“That’s not the problem, noona…” he trailed off again. “Why? What now?” Jihyo is already in a bad mood because she’d rather rest at her own house. “I can’t really make it to sign your discharge tomorrow, I have a schedule to shoot tomorrow until late at night. What should we do?” he scratched the back of his head. If he can spare some time, he’d do it in a heartbeat. But the schedule had been set months ago.

 

“I kind of have an idea, but I should check with you first, noona.” Kwangsoo asked with a small voice. “I’d take anything, I can’t tell my family like this.” Jihyo motioned to her own self, dressed in hospital gown. “What about we tell Donghoon hyeong? I know he’d have more flexible schedule than I am, and in turn, you can also talk with Goeun noona. I know she’d help you with baby things.” Kwangsoo advised.

 

Jihyo closed her eyes and laid her head on the pillow, too exhausted to even think about it. Kwangsoo ended up staying until Jihyo’s dinner came. He made sure she at least had a bite of everything, while they’re talking about anything but the baby and the baby’s father. To their surprise, Doctor Cho came to check on Jihyo just a moment after she finished her dinner. She hasn’t meet Doctor Cho at all after she admitted herself to the private clinic because he’s not on duty, the nurses probably notify him as soon as he’s in the building. Kwangsoo immediately stood up, that polite guy. “Jihyo-ssi, I thought we’re going to meet on your next schedule.” He greeted with a smile.

 

“I apologize, Doctor Cho. I didn’t expect this visit either.” She replied with a sad smile. “No worries, it’s a common case for first-timer mother. Take it easy and don’t stress yourself too much.” He said as he checked all the monitors connected to Jihyo’s small figure. “Doctor Cho, this is my friend, Lee Kwangsoo.” Jihyo introduced Kwangsoo to the doctor. “Ah I see, you’re a good friend Kwangsoo-ssi.”

 

“Animida, Doctor Cho. She’s a family to me.” Kwangsoo replied shyly. “Geure. I will leave you to rest, Jihyo-ssi. I’ll check on you in the morning, if everything’s fine, you can go home right away.” He said his farewell and went out to check on other patients. “Noona, you still need to decide about whose going to come and get you tomorrow…” Kwangsoo reminded as soon as Doctor Cho left. “I know. Is Donghoon oppa my only choice?”

 

“Do you have any other people you can tell?” he asked back. “Umm… my manager, Hongda, Hyemin knew everything, but they’ll be hovering all over me if they found out. I don’t want to draw their attention, they’re already checking on me for too much now.” Jihyo contemplated. “Let’s see…” Kwangsoo took a seat again, ready to make her see that Donghoon is their best choice. “Somin and Sechan were rather busy, I’m sure they’d love to help you but I think you’d be all awkward around them. Jaesuk hyeong is out of the question because he’d have no time. Seokjin hyeong usually work in the morning, if he had time, he’d come here later but I guess he’s the next best choice if Donghoon hyeong is not available tomorrow.”

 

He explained and considered everything in great details, Jihyo finally got his point. “Arasseo, I’ll call Donghoon oppa now. You can’t leave until I find my guardian.” Jihyo threatened jokingly, Kwangsoo chuckled. “You’re lucky that I consider you my own sister, noona.” He joked back. Jihyo eyed her phone nervously as she dialed Donghoon’s number.

 

“Jihyo-ya, I thought you’d never call. What’s going on?” he answered. “Oppa, do you have time tomorrow?” Jihyo went straight to the point. “I think I have some in the morning, why why? I thought you’d call me as your drinking buddy.” Kwangsoo held his laughter in while Jihyo burst out laughing. “Ah oppa…”

 

“Mianhae, mianhae Jihyo-ya. What is it? Do you want to meet tomorrow?” he’s also laughing on the other end. “I need a favor to ask you, oppa.” Jihyo eyed Kwangsoo nervously and he mouthed ‘fighting’ under his breath. “Oh geure, I’ll help you, what is it?” he agreed right away. “Umm… I’m in the hospital right now, it’s nothing serious but I kind of need someone to get me tomorrow, like a guardian.” She explained.

 

Donghoon went silent for a few seconds. “Are you sick? Where are you? Can I visit you now?” Kwangsoo nodded, encouraging Jihyo to say yes because it’ll make explaining the situation easier. “The clinic is on Mapo-Gu, oppa. Where are you? Do you have time now?” Jihyo asked carefully. “Is it the one that the paparazzi got your pictures at?” Donghoon asked with a gasp.

 

“It is, oppa. Do you know the place?” Kwangsoo nodded and mouthed ‘it’s near his house, he must’ve known.’ to Jihyo. “Ara. I used to go there when Dream was sick in the middle of the night.” They live in the same area so it’s not unusual for him to go to the same place. “But I probably get there in about 30 minutes, is that okay?” he asked.

 

Jihyo checked the time and eyed Kwangsoo who nodded dutifully. He really is the best dongsaeng. “Where are you oppa?” Jihyo asked to make sure, she can’t predict the traffic but she also felt bad that Kwangsoo had to wait with her. “Ilsan, I’m at the gym with Jongkook hyeong. Oh, should I tell him too? He might want to come—”

 

“Aniya oppa! Don’t tell him, please.” Jihyo cut him off. Kwangsoo’s eyes widened, realizing that they usually went to the gym together after their Running Man shoot, Kwangsoo and Sechan usually tagged along too but it slipped Jihyo and Kwangsoo’s mind. It’s a red code. “Why why why? What’s wrong?” Donghoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter