Middle-Ground

The Nine Percent Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9 : Middle-Ground

 

December 25, 2020

“Jihyo-ya, I’m leaving now.” Jongkook called from the front-room. “Eung oppa, have a safe trip!” Jihyo, who was lounging at the living room replied. They still haven’t continued the talk after the members came for dinner. They’re also still sleeping on the same bed, but there’s this weird air around them. He’s not as cuddly as before, like he's avoiding physical contact as much as he could. Jihyo wanted to say that it wasn’t bothering her but she’d be lying.

 

He’s leaving to Anyang today for a family day, as he always does during the holidays. He always spent holidays with his family anyway, so this is not new to Jihyo. Jihyo also noticed that when he’s telling her that he’d be leaving to Anyang, he didn’t even ask her if she wanted to come so that’s also bothering her. She thought he’d at least ask her again to make sure but he didn’t. He said he’s going to be late or even might stay the night so she shouldn’t wait.

 

Jihyo didn’t want to think about it too much so she decided to stay in (again). There’s no reason for her be out anyway. These days, she only had minimum activity because of the returning dizzy spells. She contacted Doctor Cho and he said it’s normal for mother carrying twins to be low on blood pressure that caused dizzy spells and sleepiness. She’s also experiencing shortness of breath and he said it’s because her body is changing drastically to accommodate the babies. The growing babies also pressed on her organs so pregnant women tend to experience shortness of breath in general.

 

Jihyo decided to unpack some of the babies’ stuff that finally arrived. After sanitizing and making sure its all clean, she began to unpack the furniture first. The baby cribs will be harder so she left that for later. Jihyo began with the cabinets as it looks easier to build. The instruction is clear so Jihyo had no trouble in separating the parts first. Surprisingly, an hour later, the cabinet is all done and looked sturdy enough so it’s a success. She went to have some snacks and a little break to not overexert herself to exhaustion.

 

Yesterday, when Jongkook was out to his gym session, Jihyo video-called her parents in Pohang and added Seongmoon, her brother, on the call too. She told them everything. While her parents expressed their worries about how the public will react to this, they also showed their support. Seongmoon said he’s going to get tested first before he visits, just to make sure because he’s been going out a lot and the results will take some time. Her parents also told her that they will come to visit once the virus warning around Seoul greater area is lifted, that will take some time too since they had to get tested when they landed in Seoul. At least, Jihyo can breath a little better now that her parents and brother knew.

 

They surprisingly didn’t ask much about Jongkook so it’s great. They only made sure that he’s going to be there to take care of her and the babies so they will accept that for now. Seongmoon didn’t say anything but he pointed out that he knew something would happen between his older sister and that one Running Man co-star. Jihyo laughed at that, relieved to get that kind of reaction from her family.

 

In Anyang, Kim Jongkook finally arrived at his parents’ house. The noise his brother’s children made can be heard even from the front room and he chuckled to himself. He greeted his family warmly and conversed with them lightly before lunch. To Jongkook’s surprise, his older brother came to sit beside him at the sofa. “Jongkook-a, is Song Jihyo-ssi okay?” Jongkook raised an eyebrow. “She’s fine, why are you asking about her?” Jongmyung nodded. “Ani, I was really surprised when I saw the news of her leaving the show. I’m just worried about her because she’s a great girl whenever I met her.”

 

“Ah, I guess so.” Jongkook replied distractedly, it’s a little bit weird for his brother to ask about his friends. He’s usually not that curious. “It must be different for you, you probably knew it long before the public, right?” Jongkook shook his head. “She only told us a few days before the article came out.” Jongmyung raised his eyebrows in surprise this time. “Geure?” Thankfully, Jongkook’s mother called that the lunch is ready so the topic is dropped quickly.

 

After the lunch, the family moved to the living room to talk. Jongkook waited until everyone was relaxed in their own seats before he started. “I have a news for everyone.” He gulped nervously. His parents looked curious while her brother and his wife remained calm. “Oh, go ahead son.” His dad gave the go. “Um.. everyone know Song Ji Hyo right?” he started awkwardly. “Of course, what about her?” his brother asked, the impatient blood must be running in this family. “She’s—she’s pregnant with twins and they’re mine.”

 

Silence. All of them didn’t expect to hear this. “Congratulations son.” His dad finally said. “I didn’t know you and Jihyo-ssi is in a relationship, son.” His mom added. “It’s—complicated for now but I’m going to work on it, I have to.” Jongkook confessed to his family. There’s no need to lie to them, Jongkook has full faith that they will be supportive no matter what. “Geurom. You have to, she’s a great woman, Song Jihyo-ssi.” Over the course of their 10 years friendship, Jihyo met basically everyone on his family so that’s not shocking. “She is, yeah.” Jongkook admitted. “So that’s why she left the show huh, brother?” Jongmyung teased. Jongkook finally let out a big breath. “Yeah, it’s my fault.”

 

“Aniya, son. Babies are blessings. Call me as soon as it’s no longer ‘complicated’, I want to meet her.” Jongkook’s mom said with a smile. “We want to meet her.” His dad corrected. Jongkook chuckled. Now that his family knew, he can be at ease. “I will. I have to.”

 

At around 9 pm, Jongkook called Jihyo on his way back to her place. He’s been wanting to call her but he kind of lost a track of time when he’s talking with his family. He felt bad for not checking up on her but he also knew she doesn’t like being nag at. At the 5th ring, she finally answered. “Oppa, why?” her voice sounded like she just woke up. “Were you asleep already?” he asked. “Hm. I fell asleep. So tired.” She answered sleepily.

 

“Geure? Go back to sleep then, I’m just checking up on you.” She yawned loudly. “Where are you, oppa?” Jongkook checked the road before answering. “I’m on my way back, still going to take 30 minutes or something. Go back to sleep, Jihyo-ya.”

“Aniya, the room is kind of a mess. I’m going to tidy up for a bit.” Rustling noise can be heard from the line, she must’ve been curled up inside the blanket. “What mess? Leave it, I’ll clean up for you when I’m there.” She’s half-way through the pregnancy so she should be resting when she’s tired.

 

“Just some of the furnitures I ordered for the nursery—”

“Leave it, Jihyo-ya. You sounded so tired already.” Jongkook sighed, this woman is the definition of stubborn. “But you must’ve been tired too, oppa—”

“Song Jihyo…” he trailed. “Arasseo, arasseo.” She finally gave up.

“Good, see you soon.”

“Hm oppa.”

 

Jongkook expected Jihyo to fell back to sleep again but he found her still awake when he entered the room. She was lounging on the sofa at the room, watching some drama on TV. “Why are you still up?” its almost 11pm when he arrived. “I couldn’t fall asleep again.” She replied tiredly. Jongkook went to wash up and changed his clothes first before joining her on the sofa. To her surprise, he opened his arms. “Cuddle?” he asked with a soft voice. Jihyo chuckled before accepting his invitation, curling herself on his warm body.

 

“Did you have fun with your family today, oppa?” she asked. “I did. I also told them about you and the twins.” Jongkook continued by explaining how he told them and what’s their reaction, Jihyo went silent for a few minutes. “I don’t know if I can even meet your parents, especially your mother, oppa.” She finally confessed her worries. “Why?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter