11. smart and smarter

love and hatred


Literally every single one inside that class knows how smart Yujin is. Her friends know it, her classmates know it, even the teachers themselves are amazed by her brain.

 

Not only she is a famous mathematician but also great in science, history and music. And oh, did someone mention she's one hell of a great dancer?

 

She's the type of person who will be a potential threat when she exerts more effort to things she cares about. Sadly, she's too lazy to invest time, effort and interest.

 

But when she does, she is one heck of an annoying perfectionist who likes to overwork herself just to finish the task in full force.

 

Yujin has a resting face. Her tired-like eyes will only stare at them as if she's judging and questioning their existence. That's why most people are scared of her. They find the oh-so-great Ahn Yujin intimidating and kind of weird sometimes. They often leave her be whenever she's alone, so she's unapproachable like that. Only her friends, like Yena and Hyewon can talk to her without flinching.

 

And speaking of the devil, Yujin's is currently on her own seat, busy doing her own thing.

 

Napping.

 

While the rest are having their headaches and hard time solving the quiz, Ms. Yujin out there is having the time of her life.

 

Yes. She is already finished since minutes ago.

 

Yena is kind of a diligent student even though it doesn't really show on her face, she's really great in her studies. It just happened that she hates math big time.

 

Hyewon, the kind of student who is chill, but still does well especially in that subject Yena hates the most. She says she doesn't really study but aces the test afterwards.

 

The two are still not done solving the problems by the way.

 

"Can I borrow Yujin's brain for like a day?" Yena whispered.

 

"Keep dreaming and you'll finish the quiz like that."

 

Yena groaned at her friend's response, "Fine."

 

The class ended with Yujin having a perfect score, Hyewon with three mistakes and Yena with seven.
 

...
 

There's this annoying stereotype where athletes are deemed as dumb people. When you do well in playing sports, you automatically do the opposite in academics. Which pisses off Wonyoung the most.

 

If anything, most of the players she knows are brainy as hell. It's part of the requirement that you need to pass all your subjects in order to participate so you really can't slack off. They are already physically tired from trainings and almost never-ending practices, it's amazing to see they can keep up in studying though it's mentally draining. 

 

And there she was, sitting alone inside the school's library and totally immersed in reading a book that is not related to school or any sport stuff at all. It's not entirely Wonyoung's fault that this school has a shelf full of mangas to choose at. Thankfully she's in a spot where no one can find her. Or maybe they can but it'll take awhile since she's in a very secluded area. (also known as the corner lol)

 

"Are you seriously going to do her homework?" 

 

Oh . Here comes the students taking away my spot again. 

 

"Just say you're jealous and go." 

 

"Well, you're right so..." 

 

"Want me to do yours too?" 

 

"Let me guess, I'll pay?" 

 

"Exactly." 

 

Wonyoung heard an annoying groan and a small giggle. She quickly assumes their deal is finally set. Well, she really cannot blame her, for she herself understands the struggles of being a student. She can only wish for them a good luck and support them in their quest. 

 

But wait, their voices are awfully familiar. 

 

"Stitch?" She muttered to herself. And because she's a whole damn big curious cat, she tried to peak on the books from the bookshelf. 

 

"Aaand they're gone." 

 

She rolled her eyes. 

 

...

 

Three days later, who would've thought they're gonna face each other on stage representing their own classes aiming for a win? 

 

A spelling bee. That's right, a competition for the geniuses. Perfect for the girls named Ahn Yujin and Jang Wonyoung if it ain't that obvious enough. 

 

And what usually happens whenever they're aiming for each other's throats? 

 

"My bet goes to Yujin." 

 

"YAH WONYOUNG DON'T FAIL ME I PUT THIS WEEK'S ALLOWANCE ON THE LINE FOR YOU!" 

 

"END THAT BEAN POLE YUJIN!" 

 

"Yena, you know she's tall too right?" 

 

"Do I look like I give a ?" Minju scratches her head after hearing the duck's response. 

 

Yes people, another bet for our one and only blue-pink duo. 

 

As you can see, they are very passionate about this. To the point where their auras can be felt by some students. Maybe because of the fact that they're facing the person they don't like (not hate because they insisted it's different so that's that). Everything about them standing on the stage screams power. Their eyes almost flaming at the thought of them losing against this obnoxious colored person. 

 

Yujin eyed Wonyoung, "Oh you're so gonna lose, Jang Wonyoung."

 

The latter smirked as she stared back with the same intensity, "Bring it on."

 

-

 

This entire thing started when the school had an upcoming event where students are happy because they got no classes to attend at and can do whatever they want with their lives that day. Of course, series of games and competitions are present so even teachers and parents can have fun with the students. 

 

Three days before the event, Hyewon was supposed to be the one representing their class but the moment she heard the tall bunny's name, she declined (there was a scary grin plastered on her face). The teachers were confused, it was the first time Hyewon refused to participate. 

 

A few moments later, they saw her dragging Yujin in front of them saying she'll participate in her place instead. 

 

The teacher was in tears. Tears of joy. Finally Yujin is going to engage in activities for their class after years of saying no.

 

(Both Hyewon and their teacher ignored the poor girl's cries) 

 

Yujin's cries changed into screams of triumph after hearing Wonyoung's going to join the spelling bee too although she almost killed her best friend and threw all the bad words at her. She thanked Hyewon and as a compensation, she will make her happy by doing her homework for free. And it happened to be Hyewon's most hated subject in all of her existence.  So she forgave Yujin right away as ridiculous as it may sound. 

 

You better watch me destroy you. I'll definitely gonna win. 

 

As for Wonyoung, she didn't know she was gonna face her stitch in this kind of things. She only knew today, when they all stepped on stage and saw her annoying (but pretty af) face. 

 

Seeing Yujin alone fired up her soul. 

 

Get wrecked . 

 

-

And here they are now, in the final three. Yujin, her, and that boy from the class she forgot the name. It's getting intense, the air was heavy, the crowd fell silent when it used to be loud due to their deafening cheers. 

 

I just know they're silently praying they're gonna win their bet. 

 

Wonyoung huffs. She's getting impatient. All her senses are perfectly active right now, especially her hearing. Yujin is already finished spelling her word. Just as expected, she's too smart for her own good.  

 

Her heart is beating so fast. Perhaps she's scared? Nervous? Excited? She tried to brush it all off by laying her eyes on her foe. She's an effective tool for motivation.  

 

And there was Yujin, staring at her with the most confident expression she had ever seen from her. 

 

Wonyoung saw how she lifted the corner of her lip upward, it kind of showcased her left dimple quite a bit. It was kind of... attractive. 

 

Her heart beating because of anxiousness might have just changed its reason to do speeding. 

 

"What the—" 

 

"Wonyoung Jang from Class 2 - B." She quickly went in front of the microphone. God she wanted to off herself so badly, why does her cheeks feel hot anyway? She just wanted to collect motivation from Yujin through anger and annoyance, why is it so... 

 

"Foudroyant." 

 

WHAT.

 

"Can you please repeat the word?" 



"Foudroyant."

 

"May I have the definition please?" 

 

"Occurring suddenly and with great severity. Rare stunning, dazzling, or overwhelming." 

 

Oh. 

 

Oh.