Not ready to have a dream

Don't read this

"Hiichan!" Chaewon shouts. The strong breeze from the sea takes her voice away. She even needs to hold her hat, so the wind won't blow it. "What are you going to do?"

 

Hitomi smiles, with her peachy cheek, the sweet smile, and her eyes narrowed. Anyone would fall for her in an instant.

 

"I actually don't know," Hitomi exhales heavily. "It's too much for me."

 

"Don't take all the burden by yourself, okay?"

 

Hitomi nods. "I know. But, to be honest, I'm facing it alone, aren't I?"

 

"I'm here," Chaewon says. Her hand grabs Hitomi's hand and she stares deeply into Hitomi's eyes. The eyes that usually won't weaver even in such a hard condition. "We can do it!"

 

Hitomi chuckles. "I don't know, Chaewon-unnie. But thanks for always on my side every now and then."

 

"Of course. I would do anything for you, you know?"

 

"I know."

 

Hitomi holds Chaewon's hand and starts walking along the shore. It's a quiet—only the gentle sound of waves—and a nice walk. Perfect for Hitomi—after her dream is crushed into pieces.

 

Chaewon worries about Hitomi. It's the first time she sees Hitomi not showing her bright smile, rather a grey smile.

 

She breaks the ice, "Are you… giving up?"

 

"I don't know," Hitomi repeats. "I haven't decided on anything."

 

"But, you worked so hard for this."

 

"Yes. But it's before I knew everything. Now I know, all of it becomes… worthless."

 

Hitomi continues before Chaewon asks something else. "Is it okay to be just, you know, exists? I don't want to have another false hope."

 

"Yes," Chaewon nods. "It's totally okay to just exist. I know it's hard. I know you need time. We need time. Maybe we'll do it forever until we die. But sometimes it's okay just to exist."

 

"Thank you."

 

"No, thank you. Thank you for not thinking something reckless. Thank you for still wanting to exist."

 

Chaewon stops and grabs both of Htomi's hands. "We will go through it together, yeah?"

 

Hitomi nods. A tear falls from her eyes.

 

Chaewon wipes it with her finger. "We will face it together. I promise."

 

***

 

Hello! I hope you enjoyed this short story. If you read it and feel life is just too unfair, please remember you're not alone.

 

I dedicated this story for all of you who have struggled for a long time and whoever you are, keep strong. Even if the world wants you to be gone, keep strong. I don't know what kind of life you've been through. You don't know mine either. Nonetheless, at least keep existing, stay alive, even when you're not ready to have another dream.