Envy Her Freedom

Don't read this

"Kim Minju! Did you prepare your speech for Chaewon's farewell party?"

 

Minju blinks. She didn't know it, all she did today was working and working. But, yes! Yes Minju knew today is Chaewon's last day working in this company.

 

"No..." Minju says, eyes stare at Yujin's eyes. Seeking help.

 

"It's okay, you can say anything later. It's not like a formal party or something."

 

Minju sighs, her shoulder is stiff and her head starts to feel heavy. "I have a lot of things to do today. Our boss gave me something to do when I'm not done clearing the task he gave me."

 

"I know," Yujin mumbles while looking at the surrounding, looking out for their boss. "Growth mindset my . It's like we're living to work."

 

Minju agrees with nods. She can't say those words like Yujin—the free minded and nothing to lose person. She still needs this job, for her bills. And her family. Let alone her savings.

 

Not so long after that conversation ended, Chaewon came.

 

"Oh, our Ms. Chaewon is here!" Yujin shouts with a loud voice. Not a voice suitable for indoors.

 

Chaewon shush Yujin. "Shut up, Yujin."

 

"Good luck on your new company, Chaewon," Minju says. A handful of sadness is conveyed with that wish.

 

Chaewon smiles, "Thank you. I will miss you guys, really."

 

"Anyway," Yujin breaks the sad vibe, even completely ignoring the vibe. "I'm curious, Chaewon."

 

Chaewon's squinting her eyes. "About what?"

 

"Why did you decide to resign? This company has great prospects, right?"

 

"Oh," Chaewon didn't expect Yujin would ask something normal. She expected Minju would be the one who asks this question. "Yes. One of the best."

 

She continues, "I will be honest with you two since we're close."

 

Minju who keeps silent these times, starts to get curious. "Yes, please."

 

"I want to spend my time with my family." Chaewon answers with one clean sentence. A reasonable answer for most people, but not for her.

 

"Huh?" Minju and Yujin are confused. "That's it? The reason?"

 

"Yeah. I'll work in the company close to my home and that company has exact work hours too. Bye unpaid overtime!"

 

"Oh?" Minju is a little bit surprised—and annoyed at the same time.

 

"You know, we're not living to work right?" Chaewon chuckles, indirectly telling Minju and Yujin that she heard their conversation before. "We're working to live. I want a balance."

 

"So, you're not aiming for a higher place?"

 

Minju asked that without thinking. She's just curious. What's Chaewon's intentions and why is she willing to leave?

 

"I'm still aiming for a higher place. But not in this competitive place," Chaewon looks at her watch. "Anyway, I'll see you later. Don't forget to come!"

 

"Okay, see you later, Chaewon!" Yujin smiles and waving at Chaewon who left them.

 

"I'm envious," Minju says, whispered a bit.

 

"Envious? About what?"

 

"Chaewon's freedom. She has everything she needs to get a job everywhere she wants. Not scared to take a chance—to leave this hell."

 

"I don't really get you, Minju. Can you explain in a dumber way so I can understand?"

 

"It's okay. Don't need to understand, I was spewing nonsense," Minju turns back and starts working.

 

Yujin scoffs. "Alright, let's get back to work so we can attend Chaewon's party on time."