Zombie

Don't read this

I feel like I became a zombie.

 

That sentence is still lingering in Minju's mind. She has been staring at her dim ceiling. With only the sound of her room air conditioner as music. She's tired but can't sleep.

 

She heard Day6's song for the first time today. The lyrics really hit her. A mirror of what she was doing every single day. Trying to reach something she can't reach or working like a zombie every single day without a purpose.

 

Her phone rings. A call from someone.

 

It's from Yujin, her younger girlfriend. She's one of the reasons why Minju can still sane in this daily life.

 

Minju picks it up. "What?"

 

Yujin chuckles, "Woah… what a mean opening. Is your mood that bad right now?"

 

Minju sighs, realizing she's throwing a vent at Yujin. "No, it's not. It just—nevermind, how's your day?"

 

"It's bad," Yujin's voice seems down. "Do you want to hear why it is bad?"

 

Minju closes her eyes and massages her forehead with one hand. Her mind is exhausted from overthinking about life. "Yes, tell me everything about your day. I'm curious."

 

"Well, today I went to university like usual. Then we went to karaoke and a game center."

 

Confused and felt betrayed a bit, Minju asks, "Yujin… It's not a bad day at all."

 

"It is!" Yujin persists. "I wasn't enjoying all of it. All I can think was you're working and I was playing all day."

 

Minju blinks for a brief moment. Yujin? The Yujin she knows said that? Nonetheless, Minju smiles from ear to ear out of reflex. "What a sweet talker… Don't lie to me!"

 

Yujin laughs. "So, how about you, unnie?"

 

"Just fine, you know doing work. Nothing else. I can't even think about cheating on you. It's annoying."

 

"Shut up!" Yujin shouts a little. "You won't get another girlfriend like me."

 

Minju chuckles.

 

Then Yujin continues, she uses a calm voice. "Anyways, I know you're hiding something. Do you want to tell me?"

 

Minju exhales a long and deep breath. She can't believe Yujin sees through her. Well, being together for 2 years makes them really close.

 

"Yes," Minju takes a brief stop before she continues. "I feel like I became a zombie."

 

"Day6's song?" Yujin is a bit confused. "It's a nice song, but why?"

 

"Yeah… I feel like… You know, lost? I mean like I'm living from weekend to weekend. Don't know what direction I should go."

 

"Do you think I know?" Yujin asks bluntly.

 

Minju clicks her tongue. "I won't tell you again later."

 

"Just kidding," says Yujin, holding back her laugh. "Well, why is it wrong to live from weekend to weekend? I did the same."

 

Suddenly, there's a crunchy sound coming from Yujin. Minju bets Yujin is eating potato chips or something. It makes her hungry.

 

"You won't understand, Yujin. Just study well, the exams are coming up, right?"

 

"Don't change the topic. What's wrong with it?"

 

Minju closes her eyes again before answering. At this point, she needs to tell Yujin or else she will keep asking her. "I don't know. I just—I want to be successful. I want to make my family happy. I want to help others. I want to make you happy…"

 

"You achieved one of your dreams then," the sound of crunch can be heard from Yujin's side. "I'm happy with you."

 

Minju scoffs, she didn't expect to get a cheesy attack from Yujin. "I told you, you're a sweet talker now."

 

"I mean it, unnie. I'm happy with you. You should too."

 

Yujin her finger—yes, Minju can hear that—before she continues, "We all have dreams you know. Sometimes it's a dream that you can't even reach, but also, sometimes you've already achieved it. So, don't be too hard to yourself."

 

Out of people out there, Minju cannot believe Yujin is the one who said this. Minju knows wisdom does not depend on age. But for Yujin to say something like this? It's strange. "Who are you? Where's Yujin?!"

 

"It's me, stupid," Yujin speaks her mind a lot today. She doesn't have any respect left for Minju. "Look, don't think too hard. Just do your best right now and…"

 

"And?"

 

Yujin chuckles, "I'll tell you on our next date. How about this weekend?"

 

Minju also chuckles after hearing another smooth cheesy line, "Stupid Yujin…"