With truth comes pain

Princess in love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“Your Majesty.. what are you planning to do with the Princess?” asked the Queen deeply worried. “She barely eats her meals and doesn’t come out of the room.. she can’t even get sunlight.. what if she becomes sick?”

 

The King was looking outside the window.

 

“There is no one guarding outside her door, it’s her choice to not go out.. she must know she made a grave mistake this time..” said the King. “Can you imagine the embarrassment I had to face because of what she did? She didn’t only lie to me but to the whole Kingdom.. and she even kissed a man in front of everyone.. a commoner of all people.. I was foolish to believe her when she brought that man to get treated here.. she had the audacity to say she’s in love with him.. I don’t think I can easily forgive her..”

 

The Queen remained silent as she put her hands down and clenched them into fists.

 

She was also mad at her daughter for doing that but she pities her.

 

She might not be able to forgive her soon either but she loves her and she can’t leave her alone.

 

“But Your Majesty.. the Princess might have lied but.. this happened because of the announcement of her engagement of which she didn’t know about.. the fault was-..”

 

“Are you saying it was my fault?” asked the King. “When she was the one who made us believe she was dating Jinyoung.. my Queen.. why-..?”

 

“Didn’t you publish the engagement because you wanted to cover up something else?” asked the Queen, her voice restrained. “Isn’t it because you didn’t want anyone dig about your past? Am I wrong?”

 

The King’s eyes narrowed. He clearly made sure that wouldn’t reach the Queen.

 

A few days ago, he sent someone to meet with Irene and made her go through some tests.

 

Does the Queen know about it? Has she learned the truth?

 

“It’s because of Joohyun’s daughter, isn’t it?” asked the Queen. “She must be your real daughter.. Is that why you were this afraid? And you’re being this harsh to our own daughter by imprisoning her inside her room..”

 

The Queen was shedding tears.

 

“Or maybe because the Princess isn’t your true daughter.. that’s why you feel no pity towards her.. that must be why you’re being this way..”

 

The King’s eyebrows narrowed.

 

“You know this isn’t-..”

 

“Are you planning to replace the Princess?” asked the Queen, her voice was shaking. “Because you found someone who has your own blood?”

 

“My Queen!” he said aloud. “Why are you saying this? Jisoo is-..”

 

“But that’s the truth!” the Queen said as she wiped her tears. “You can hate me and throw me away if you want.. but don’t let the innocent princess be treated that way.. it was my fault that I couldn’t be a real woman to you.. I’m sorry I couldn’t give you any child.. but Jisoo.. the Princess.. didn’t we agree we’d treat her as our own? You said it yourself that she was a blessing the first time you carried her in your arms..”

 

Then the doors opened and there entered the crying Princess, utterly shocked of what she just heard.

 

“Mom..” she was calling the Queen who was as startled as her.

 

The King went towards her and wanted to hold her but Jisoo took a step back.

 

“Dad..” she could barely speak.

 

The Queen tried holding her hands but she pulled herself from her grip.

 

“Am I not.. not your real daughter?” asked Jisoo, her hands were trembling as she tried to wipe the tears blocking her vision. “Irene.. is the King’s daughter? How about me? Whose daughter am I? Who am I? Mom.. dad.. am I not your real daughter?”

 

 

———————-

 

 

Flashback to 22 years ago..

 

 

It has been almost a year since Prince Jinhyuk got married to his wife Jihyo, daughter of the richest businessman in Korea.

 

The Prince gradually moved on from Joohyun and eventually started loving his wife but they still haven’t given any good news to the King and Queen back then.

 

They soon found out that Jihyo was barren. She was infertile. She wouldn’t be able to produce an heir to the Kingdom.

 

They consulted all the experts to seek help but there was nothing they could do.

 

The King and Queen were aging and they needed to pass the throne to Jinhyuk but without an heir, it would be the end of the Royal Family.

 

The Queen couldn’t let it be. She sent Prince Jinhyuk together with his wife to England and made a royal announcement..

 

They made it public that Jihyo was expecting a baby and she had a delicate pregnancy which was why she was staying in England to get the utmost care.

 

One of the maids who attended to Jihyo during her stay in England got pregnant and died while giving birth.

 

Since they were also supposed to adopt a Korean child anyway, Jihyo had decided to take care of the child of the woman who died.

 

But it was a girl. 

 

The Queen wanted a boy. The Kingdom needed a boy to become a  king.

 

There was a lot of oppositions from the Queen’s side but in the end, Jihyo and Jinhyuk were able to convince her.

 

They decided never to let her know about Jisoo being adopted.. no.. no one shall ever know about this..

 

The secret shall die with them.

 

 

*end of flashback*

 

 

 

———————-

 

 

Irene was called to the Palace the next day.

 

She was sitting inside a room which seemed like the study room of the King. 

 

There were old books and old pictures that filled in every part of the room.

 

Pictures from the great grandfather of the King up to the actual Royal Family’s photo.

 

And there Irene saw Jisoo in the picture smiling wide as she stood in between the King and Queen.

 

If only the mother of the King hadn’t opposed her mom’s relationship with the King, she would have been the one standing and smiling in that picture.

 

She took a deep breath to calm herself down. She shouldn’t get mad.. not right now..

 

Not when she’s about to live inside the Palace.. she should at least pretend to be in good terms with Jisoo at the start.

 

A few moments later, the King entered the room.

 

She stood up and bowed her head to greet him.

 

It was their first meeting. She’s meeting her real dad for the very first time. She has been looking forward to this ever since her mom told her the truth.

 

“Irene.. that’s your name, right?” the King said.

 

But he wasn’t smiling at her. Why?

 

Irene had expected him to greet her happily. She thought he’d also be excited to see her.

 

“I asked you to come here because I wanted to see you face to face..” said the King lowering his gaze.

 

Irene was listening to him intently. 

 

“You said you wanted to live here in the Palace..” 

 

That’s right.. that was what she was hoping to hear.

 

“I don’t think I can make it happen right now..” the King looked regretful yet he looked like he was bothered by something else.

 

“I need to ask the Queen’s opinion first.. and also the Princess isn’t in very good state right now.. I’m afraid it might take some time before I could ask them..” he replied shaking his head. 

 

Princess! Princess again! Why is that Princess ruining everything for her?

 

Isn’t she considered a princess as well? She is also his daughter! 

 

“Please wait for a little more.. when all is settled, I will talk to them.. then  I’ll meet my counselors and ask their opinion as well..” said the King. 

 

Irene had her fists clenched as she listened to what the King said.

 

If that happens, she might wait until the day she dies.

 

She might never be able to live in the Palace.

 

But why? Only because of Jisoo? Because she has made a huge scandal? Because she was selfish and fell for someone she shouldn’t have..

 

Why does she have to suffer just because of that self centered princess?

 

Irene was staying quiet when the door opened and there entered Seulgi and Jennie.

 

The two were catching their breaths.

 

“What’s with this intrusion? Why-..”

 

The King stood up immediately, about to get furious at the two but then he heard them say..

 

“The Princess is missing..”

 

Irene also stood up and looked perplexed.

 

“Call the security right now and the Palace guards..” the King said as he went out of the room leaving Irene alone.

 

Irene felt a squeeze on her chest. 

 

The King wasn’t even paying attention to her and left like that.

 

Was she invisible perhaps? They were talking about her but his mind was all over the place.

 

It’s all because of Jisoo again.

 

She went out of the room in a hurry wanting to get out of that place as soon as possible when she overheard the employees talking.

 

 

 

 

 

“I heard the Princess isn’t a real princess afterall..”

 

“The King and Queen were arguing last night..”

 

“It seems that the rumor about the Queen never getting pregnant was true..”

 

“What will happen to the Royal Family now?”

 

“If the King has no legitimate heir, the people might start protesting.. they turned all the citizens into a bunch of fools..”

 

“There has never been this great scandal in the history..”

 

 

 

 

 

———————-

 

 

 

Taehyung has become a hot topic in college in both positive and negative ways.

 

Many students were surprised about his relationship with the Princess.

 

Most of them were against it because they thought he had made Jisoo betray Jinyoung.

 

While others thought it was about the time to change the prospective regarding the Royal Family.

 

That a princess could also marry a common person like him.. just like how a commoner could marry someone as high as the Princess..

 

There were lots of opinions clashing and others even used them to voice out their political thoughts.

 

It was a mess.

 

Taehyung would hear everyone talking about him behind his back.

 

Some were accusing him of seducing the Princess and trying to use her to become popular.

 

It has been three long days for him.. the moment he steps inside the college, he can’t already wait to go home right away.

 

But he’s facing everything and enduring it.

 

Because he knows it isn’t him who’s having

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter