Dul

Mon Amour, My Chef
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

‘Korean’s Trending Taste’

 

That was the theme given to us for the competition. I managed to get all my necessary ingredients at the rack. I concentrated to the best that I can. Yet, he’s really distracting. Could he be the Lee Seokmin whom I’ve known long ago? When the host invited him to check our works in the middle of the show, that’s really not a good idea for me. I panicked when he came to my table that I clumsily cut my pointing finger while chopping some radish. It’s a small cut that I instinctively the blood out.

 

“You should wash it.” 

 

He said nonchalantly. I bowed without looking at him as he turned to the other contestants. Maybe he couldn’t remember me anymore? 

 

As the timer ends, I felt like I already won. Just finishing my dish successfully after my internal struggles was already a win for me. But, after the host announced the judges’ to start tasting our dishes, I got nervous again. I forced a smile when they finally reached my table. I prepared our restaurant’s original specialty that I twisted a bitㅡ a crown oven-baked pork ribs in a special kimchi sauce paired with thin and freshly chopped radish separately. While they’re taking a bite, I observed their expressions. Mr. Baek and Ms. Cho nodded with each other and smiled. A ray of hope lighted upon me. Chef Lee, on the other side, had that poker face still on. I couldn’t tell what’s he’s verdict. 

 

Finally, we got a break from the shoot and my friends checked up on me. They’re very supportive as always, claiming I already won. These guys really. I hoped I don’t disappoint them for real.

 

After some deliberation, we stepped on the stage again. For every contestant, the three judges’ scores will be flashed in the LED screen. We’re down to two contestants and I’m one of them. The sweat in my forehead was dripping already. When will this end? This was so nerve-wracking than I thought it would be.

 

“Kim Mina from Daegu... you’re score is, 10, 9, 9!”

 

The girl beside me pumped her fist in happiness. Those were high scores. And I knew it. The judges gave their comments and praises.

 

“And our last contestant, Kwon Bosun from Seoul...”

 

I looked at my friends as they silently prayed in their seats. 

 

“You’re score is, 10, 10....

 

The audience cheered as the perfect scores flashed on the screen but soon awed at the last score. What exactly is it? I turned around and...

 

“7! Aigoo.. this is a turn of events! Now let’s hear the judges’ comments.”

 

“First, Ms. Kwon’s dish was really well presented. Our theme focuses on what’s trending in Korean nowadays and from the taste of the dish she made, I know it will be already a hit.” Mr. Baek said, giving me a thumbs up.

 

I smiled and bowed for his praises. I didn’t really expect it.

 

“Everything from the dish was perfect. From the baked quality of the pork ribs and the one of a kind kimchi sauce, that combo put fireworks in my mouth. Good job Ms. Kwon!”

 

I bowed again, thanking her for the comment. It really made me proud of my work.

 

“Ms. Kwon.. Kwon Bosun? Did I get your name right?” Chef Lee asked and I nodded.

 

“I agree the dish was perfectly made. However, the reason why I gave a low score was that of the basic cooking etiquette. Proper hygienic measures. Whether someone is watching you or not. If you cut yourself from the knife you used, you should at least wash the knife or get a new one, right? Well, that’s all I have to say.”

 

After the show ended, I immediately went to the backstage, fuming with anger. I know I was wrong but to humiliate me in front of everyone and on national tv was unforgivable.  Sena, Seungkwan and Gyu were also angry that they wanted to confront that Chef Lee Seokmin guy. I just smiled halfheartedly while receiving my award as a 1st runner up a while ago. Don’t get me the wrong idea. I was not mad for not winning. I was just totally loss for words after what he said. If he’s really the Seokmin I know, then probably he hit his head or whatever has happened to him. That arrogant chef.

 

On our way out of the SBS building, the least person I didn’t want to see popped in front of us. 

 

“Treat yourself.”

 

He was handing a small pack of first aid kit. I scoffed at what he said. I wanted to punch him in the face. Is he mocking me? I walked pass him that I bumped his shoulder hard. He was tall for sure but I really didn’t care at all. Gyu and Seungkwan followed as well.

 

“What’s that?” I asked Sena, seeing something in her hand when we’re already inside the car.

 

She grinned at me while slowly showing the first aid kit that arrogant chef was handing a while back. Ack. I need a doctor. My head hurts.

 

 

 

                                                               

                                                                }}}•{{{

 

 

 

 

I wore a hoodie and sunglasses coming to school today. My mom called this morning after watching the clip of the cooking show. She‘s very suprised because I didn’t tell her about it. Good thing I didn’t tell her or else she’d witnessed live the harsh comment I received from that guy. After school, Sena and I went straight to Cheonsa Diner for out shift. How could I face Jeonghan this time? I was really embarrassed. Before entering the diner, I peeped through the glass door if he’s already there. Sena threw me a what-the-hell-you’re-doing look. That’s when I saw a familiar figure talking with Jeonghan. When they sat, my eyes went wide and dragged Sena, going to the backdoor instead. What on earth is happening? 

 

We slowly sneaked in the kitchen when Gyu noticed us. 

 

“What are you two doing?”

I covered his mouth and nodded at where Jeonghan was.

“Uhm. I know what you’re thinking. But Seungkwan and I also don’t know what’s going on. Jeonghan didn’t talk to us yet.”

 

“Oh? There you are guys! Come here! All of you.” Jeonghan shouted.

 

I felt my legs froze and I didn’t want to go near them. 

 

“Bosun ah~” Jeonghan called as if he already knew what I was planning to do.

 

As much as I didn’t want to, I had no choice. I sti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter