Anxiety

Twist of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Who is the father? Kang Mingyu?"

Young-seo felt like a terrible friend. She should have paid more attention and be more alert to her best friend, she should have suspected something when she started showing strange behaviour. 

"It doesn't matter, the father won't know about this and he won't be playing a part in the baby's life."

Hari never liked confrontation. She hated having such serious talks with anyone and she was definitely not ready to be grilled by her best friend on her pregnancy. 

The pregnant girl's answer got a disapproving frown on Young-seo's face. She has known Hari since high school and she was aware that Hari didn't like drama and having confrontation with others but this was necessary. 

"You don't plan to let Mingyu know?"

Hari didn't answer Young-seo, simply because she couldn't tell Young-seo that her ex-boyfriend wasn't the one who knocked her out. would get real if she told Young-seo that the father of the child is a member in her favourite group. She kept her head low, eyes fixed on the wooden floor, while the silence in the room consumed the girls. The lack of reply from Hari was a clear answer to Young-seo.

The ticking on the clock became significantly louder as each minute passed by with the girls remaining mute. Young-seo was irked by the silent game, so she spoke first, "Are you sure you want to keep this from Mingyu? The father deserves to know the existence of the baby, it's not fair for you to raise the child alone. You know, it's not easy being a single mum."

Hari knew exactly how hard it is being a single mum. Her mum is the perfect living example; Hari was born and raised in a single-parent family and she remembered having a really tough childhood when she was young. They could barely make ends meet until she came to Seoul to work, life turned for the better. But with that being said, Hari has never felt like she was lacking in anything because her mum gave her everything she could. Even without a father role in her life, her mother's love for her was enough to fill up the gap. Hari believed that if her mum could do it, so can she.

"I am confident that I can raise the child myself."

Young-seo looked at her best friend with her lips twitched and her brows knitted, Hari's decision didn't sit well with her but she knew it was impossible to convince her to change her mind. Being best friends with Hari for more than a decade, Young-seo knew how stubborn Hari can get. When she has made up her mind to do something, there was almost nothing that can change her mind. Arms extending to her best friend, Young-seo gave Hari a big hug. 

"I know you will be a great mum."

Hari chuckled, "I know too. Plus, I am not alone, I have you, right?!"

Young-seo responded with a meaningful smile, "Of course, I am going to be your child's godmother!"

 

Embracing the fact that she was going to be a mum didn't mean Hari was able to accept the changes happening to her body immediately. She used to be able to eat a lot for breakfast but now, she couldn't stomach much food without feeling the morning sickness attacking her every morning. Not only the change in appetite affected her, she hasn't been able to sleep properly and the lack of sleep was making her tired and moody, which she has read on the Internet that those are very common occurrences women experience during pregnancy. Even so, she tried to uphold her professionalism by not letting her personal issue become a hindrance at work, plus, she didn't want her colleagues to notice anything weird about her. She wanted to hide her pregnancy for as long as she could.

Hari was the only person that came to the gynaecological clinic without a partner. Young-seo wanted to accompany her but she was held up by a last minute meeting at work so Hari ended up going for her appointment alone. While waiting for her turn, Hari was browsing the parenting magazines on the shelf but her eyes would drift to the couples seated at the same waiting area as her occasionally. Though Hari had come to terms that she was going to raise the child alone, seeing all these blissful couples in the clinic made her feel a tad lonely. She wondered how it would be like to have a kid under normal circumstances and to come for her appointment with her husband. 

"Son Hari."

Putting the magazine back on the shelf, Hari made her way in to the consultation room. As she entered the room, she was greeted by a motherly grin on her gynaecologist's face. 

"Nice to meet you, Ms Son Hari, I am your gynaecologist, Dr Ahn," The doctor then looked at her record and her urine test result, "Shall we proceed take a look at your baby to ensure everything is alright?" 

Hari was assisted by the nurse to lie on the bed while Dr Ahn got ready to do an ultrasound scan for her. Lying on the cold bed with her dress pulled upwards, Hari could feel her body shivering non-stop. This is a whole new experience to Hari and she can't help to feel nervous.

Dr Ahn applied the gel on Hari's womb and gave the pregnant woman a soft smile, "I understand that you are nervous as it's your first time getting pregnant but you wouldn't want to scare the baby right? So just relax, Hari."

Hari nodded and she felt her nerves calming down at her gynaecologist's words; her doctor was right, being stressed and anxious won't do any good to the baby. As Dr Ahn scanned Hari's womb, Hari looked at the black and white screen, in hope to catch a glimpse of her baby.

"Do you see this white dot here? It's your baby."

Emotions surged when Hari spotted a bouncing white dot on the screen, as if her baby was greeting her excitedly. The fear and uncertainty that Hari felt when she first found out that she was pregnant seemed to vanish instantly. Hari was indeed going to be a mum. 

"I can't wait to meet you already my baby."

"You are now three weeks into pregnancy and even though the pregnancy journey is different for every woman, it's normal that you feel unwell, experience morning sickness, and you will start to notice changes in your body. But rest assured that you will get better as your pregnancy stabilises in the upcoming months. Remember that the first trimester is very crucial so I will brief you on the dos and don'ts after the scan. Make sure to bring your husband along so the dad knows what to expect in the next few months too."

Hari brought her gaze back to her gynaecologist, "I am raising the child alone. The father of the child doesn't know about this."

Dr Ahn gave Hari a meaningful look and the ambience in the room turned awkward suddenly. Even though there was nothing embarrassing being a single mum, it was Hari's first time telling this to someone else aside Young-seo and it was inevitable that she felt conscious about revealing her secret, "I am fine, don't worry, Dr Ahn," Hari said to her doctor, which also served as a reminder to herself that she has to get used to this because she would definitely encounter such situation in the future too. 

 

The ultrasound picture put a smile on Hari's face. She couldn't take her sparkling eyes off the little white dot in the picture and she could feel happiness glowing inside of her from meeting her baby for the first time.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter