Half-Empty, Half-Full

Away From The Current

Sunny weather welcomed Eugene as she arrived at airport that afternoon. For the first time, a planner herself went on a vacation without any plans. She could still remember how the thought of ‘Sometimes, the best plan is having no plan.’ seemed completely ridiculous. And now here she is shaking her head in disbelief “Let’s see if this plan’s gonna work out then.”

 

While picking her traveller backpack, Eugene started checking her phone to seek help from Google while walking towards the information booth. She soon noticed a banner that says “YOLO Club” which seems to attract a number of tourists.  Someone handed her a flier which says that they won’t require any registration fee as long as you book into the participating hotel and resort. It’s a promotional collaboration of a group of local travel enthusiasts and hotel. All you got to do is check in for a minimum of five days and you’ll have a set of activities to enjoy.

 

Eugene checked the surfing spot she wanted to visit and it is indeed located at the same location the club is operating. She was about to ask for assistance from a receptionist to book an accommodation since she doesn’t have a place yet, as a girl accidentally bumped into her.

“Oh I’m sorry.” The girl spoke in her native language and immediately apologize in English.

“Oh. It’s okay.” Eugene responded as the girl brightly smiled at her before turning to the receptionist “Is there a room available?”

“Sorry Miss. The hotel’s fully booked but we do offer cabins located near the beach itself. It costs higher than the rooms we have but definitely worth it. And we actually got our last cabin available, the simplest one but with the best view.”

“Would you give me a minute to decide please?” The girl pleaded

“Sure.” The receptionist replied as she then turned to attend on Eugene “How about you, Miss?”

“The cabin actually costs almost twice the suites right?”

“Yes. Apparently good for four. It has two rooms.”

“I’ll take it.” The other girl inserted.

“Oh.” Eugene bit her lower lip trying to think of an immediate solution. She gave a shy smile to the receptionist who signaled her to ask the other girl.

“Would you mind sharing the cabin with me? I mean, we could split the bill. I hope you don’t mind. I just need a place.”

The girl, hesitant and puzzled, looked at the receptionist.

“I can actually help you settle that now.” the receptionist followed

The girl took a quick glimpse into Eugene's form and saw her name. “It’s good to have a fellow Korean around. I’m Carrie by the way.” The girl introduced turning to Eugene to meet her gaze.

“And looking into someone’s record without consent is a no-no cabin mate.” Eugene replied warily.

“I didn’t mean to read it.” Carrie shrugged “. . . It’s just your writing in all caps you know. It’s hard not to notice.”

The taller, Eugene, looked at her with a straight face as Carrie can’t help but break the ice and smile at her shyly “I’m kidding. You need to chill a bit too. Cabin. . . mate.”

“Don’t get me wrong. I hope I won’t sound offensive. But maybe we should put just one condition into this form we got then?”

Eugene boldly wrote 4 letters, MYOB (Mind Your Own Business)

The receptionist noticed the tension going on and immediately interrupted the two “You’re officially booked and here are your cards. It’s all settled. A shuttle is ready to take you to the place in a few minutes. Keys will be provided at there at the camp. Enjoy your trip!”