High Tide

Away From The Current

“Hey Carrie. I’m sorry for pouring my anger on you. I just. I’m just so mad awhile ago”

 

Carrie ignored her as Euge follow her aroubd “Look, okay? I gave my entire life and time for this firm. Then now they wanna take over that project because of that one mistake? You know. It hasn’t even failed yet!”

 

“Are you really here to apologize Euge??? Then why do I keep hearing about your complaints huh? You know what?! Your problem?? It’s too shallow compare to what other people is going through!”

 

“Wow. Shallow huh?! Do you have any idea how it feels to wake up one day. And people who used to believe in you say that you’re no longer great? I poured out blood, sweat and tears for that firm. I help brought Republican Builders to where it is right now! And now what? They’ll leave me out?! DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE?”

 

Carrie stopped on her tracks and faced short-tempered Eugene taking a calm start confronting her “Who told you you own all the problems in the world?”

 

“. . .no matter what you do, explaining everything you did, get mad and lash it out, it wouldn’t change a thing! Everything ends Yuj! Nothing is permanent! And your work? It’s not your life! It’s not everything!”

 

Carrie  continued walking as Euge follow her.

“It is! For me it is!” Euge exclaimed almost gritting her teeth

“ . . . because if my work is taken away from me. What more do I have? What will be my worth?” Taking a short pause, having no more energy to say it, she blurted out “Nothing.”

 

“. . . . so don’t tell me it’s not everything because you don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

Carrie stopped again and turned to Euge who’s standing behind her. Emotions setting up.

 

“The feeling like you’re robbed? Deceived and cheated?! And. You keep telling yourself, ‘I’ve lived my life well and did my best but at the end, why do I keep on losing?’. That feeling like you’re numb because of the pain???” She stated putting stress in each word.

 

“Dang Euge! Consider yourself lucky because you are still able to make up for it or start again.”

 

Carrie placed her right hand on her chest  “Because me? I would do everything just for me to live.”

 

"What are you talking about?” Euge's brow furrowed as she step closer to the other

“What I’m trying to say  is. Appreciate your life. You have to believe that you’re worth more than your work or firm.”

 

“. . . because to me. You’ll always mean so much.”

 

“. . You taught this poor coward to be brave.”

 

Taking a deep breath with those gloomy eyes, Euge calmly confront Carrie “Then why are you walking away from me?” the latter cried as she turn her back from the taller while moving forward on a faster pace

 

“I like you. I like you a lot!” Eugene shouted as Carrie look back at her at a distance

 

“That’s why I’m afraid.” Carriepaused looking away “I’m afraid that if I don’t walk away now, I’ll fall for you too.”

 

“And what’s so wrong with that?”

 

“I tried not to fall in love with you but I think I already have. And I don’t want to be unfair with you.” 

 

Someone in an all black outfit and cap came running into Carrie pulling her into a hug. The person cupped her face with those wary and worried eyes asking if she’s okay. 

 

Eugene left and can hardly believe what her eyes saw.

 

 “What are you doing here Architect Kim?? First, the project. Now, Carrie?”