Over The Horizon

Away From The Current

[EUGE'S POV]

 

The sun is shining brightly, the waves quite serene. Definitely still a good day, to get to know your group more. Jet ski, stand up paddle board, extreme banana boat ride, and kayaking were the back up activities the club has prepared. And our group decided kayaking be our last.

 

The orange sky definitely a catch as the sun set over the horizon as Carrie and I kayak our way to the middle of the ocean. Heather and Maddie decided to go back and just wait for us at the shore to film for Heather’s vlog.

 

“Isn’t surfing the reason you joined the club?” Carrie suddenly ask me as I follow her lead, setting at her right side.

 

I was about to respond but as I look at Carrie who’s face was lighten by the sun rays, her eyes shining brightly with her infectious smile showing up as it send me a feeling I never felt before, something unusual deep inside, my heart skipping a beat.

 

“Euge?” Carrie seemed to notice me staring at her blankly so I focus my attention to the setting sun.

 

“Oh. Well. Yeah. It is.” I paused thinking for the right words to say.

 

“. . . But this is a better experience.”

 

“Tch. Look at you trying to hide your expression.”

 

I can’t help but smile when I saw her look at me unconvinced as she shake her head, pouting her lips “. . . . You can’t fool me. You like adventures, Euge.”

 

'Euge.'  Her endearing voice, the way she calls my name echoed in my head. And it sounds special. So endearing.

 

“It’s not about what you do, but who you spend it with.” I mumbled to myself

 

~

 

I woke up in an unfamiliar room, dumbfounded to see Carrie sleeping at the sofa. I didn’t even had time to think of what to do and get up right away waking her shouting

 

“CARRIEEE! What the hell am I doing here?!”

 

The sleepyhead Carrie stretced her arms upward, comfortably yawning. She stood up still half-asleep with that checkered pink joggers and . . . my eyes widened  “And why are you wearing my white oversized shirt huh??”

 

“Would you stop overreacting???!” Carrie’s eyes half opened and I saw a teasing smile curving up on her lips,. Not a good sign I must say.

 

“Don’t you remember what happened last night?” My heart beating louder as I hear Carrie’s footsteps as she make her way. It made me so nervous that I pull the blanket to cover myself up with just my face visible. She leaned forward looking at me closely. So close that I could feel her warm breath. I took a huge gulp looking at her. She soon leaned backward and burst out laughing.

 

“You passed out after that one straight up drink of vodka. You even throw up at your bed so -”

 

“But why are you wearing my shirt?!!” 

 

“You really think something happened?” I could sense something and can't hide my suspicion looking at her with her arms crossed.

 

“NO. . . FREAKING WAY” I mumbled to myself

 

“What if, I say, thar you did something really embarrassing?” she continuously teaseme as I automatically cover my ears  like a kid with one eye closed “Then I don’t wanna hear it!”

 

~

 

[CARRIE'S POV]

 

Flashback. The night before . . . .

 

Since it’s a Friday night, many clubs were full but with Moana’s help and connections, Camp Ohana managed to bring bar closer to us with a bonus acoustic night bonfire, settled nearby the shore just located a few steps below the buffet open area.

 

It was a breezy night and the warm-lighted bulbs gave the place such a lovely vibe. Wooden bar tables and chairs were arranged horizontally facing a small platform serving as a stage for the acoustic session. Fire and Balinese dancers were also invited, set to give us a couple of performances near the bonfire area at the left corner just a few meters away from the cabins.

 

“Let’s get it started!” Thor followed as the fire dancers and acoustic performers started the session with a lively jive.

 

Maddie and I jumped in at a table where Euge seem to be having a one-on-one drinking session with Heath.

 

“How dare you two leave us out huh?!” Maddueresting her right elbow on Euge’s shoulder

 

“You two were so busy enjoying that acoustic session, B. Plus! You don’t drink. You know you can't drink right?!” Heath sniggered

 

“Who says I can't?” Maddie nterjected as she snatch and drink Euge’s shot

“I bet Carrie angel can't drink for real.” Euge gave me that silly smirk challenging me raising her right brow.

 

Well, I really don’t drink. But tequila won’t kill me, I thought. It’s just I felt something empowering inside, like an adrenaline rush. And the next thing I know is I grabbed Heath’s shot glass following a bite of a slice of lemon looking at Euge with my chin up and proud

 

We had shots after shots and stopped after finishing a whole bottle of El Hombre. I’ve never been a good drinker, but to my surprise, I’m still self-conscious and wide awake.

 

‘Time to experience an authentic Balinese night!!” Loki exclaimed

 

All of us gathered at the bonfire area to watch. After the fire dancers’ performance, traditional dancers came in pulling some members to dance with them. Yujin and I did our best to hide ourselves but Heatg and Maddie pushed us in the middle. I tried to escape but Eugene started jiving in with the dancers as the members began cheering us both clapping their hands. She then held my hand and we both began following the dancer’s steps and instructions with me awkwardly doing my best to keep up. It’s a little embarrassing for me yet fulfilling at the same time. Dancing and laughing the night away.

It’s been a long while since I had a good time like this. Times when I don’t need to worry and just live in the moment. I never felt so happy and alive in years. A minute later, I saw Maddie and Euge laughing watching my video dancing awhile ago. It's such a great view that I can't help but smile. 

 

“Shall I include this in my vlog, Carrie?” Heath teased. I gathered my remaining energy to get up and started chasing for her, pleading to delete it. "No!!!"

 

Heath was so close but I lost my balance and fell into the sand as Eugene immediately attended and reached for my hand.  “Oh my. Let me help granny Rie get up.”

 

“Tch.” I shoved her hand with a fake sulky expression painted on my face

 

“I never knew someone as pretty as you will dance awkwardly like an old lady” This tall gal has the audacity to tease me so much but I don't know, it's still comforting seeing her trying to suppress her laughter. But Maddie’s contagious laughter suddenly reached us and ended up shedding tears of joy.

 

Maddie soon started humming as Heathe backed her up singing “Our Carrie angel.”

 

“Angel! Angel!” Euge  in dancing into the rhythm. It's awkwardly cute seeing them oddly dancing on their own as I try hiding my expression by giving an odd poker face on these three.

 

“Hey! Hey! Hey! Enough!!” I lost my serious facade and pouted like a kid running after her annoying friends.

 

We made our way back to the acoustic session area and everyone were all jumping happily when suddenly the music changed into a slow-paced one. I watch everyone get all sentimental looking at their partners as they held hands. Yujin who is standing next to me came forward with her right hand waiting for mine.

 

“I guess its time to teach you how to dance, granny Rie.” She gave me that reassuring smile again with her dimples curving up. “. . . Shall we Carrie?” Her smile is like the sunset, washing away all the worries I feel, never failing to calm my nerves. Euge held my hands and placed them on her wide shoulders and positioned her hands on my waist as we dance under the stars.

 

Away from the Current - Keiko Necesario

 

Little by little, I’m falling

Deeper than the sea

Maybe you can swim with me

Swim away from the current

 

The lyrics, each word, brought life to the feelings I’ve been ignoring.

 

And if I drown in your company

Will I lose myself in your stream?

 

And that’s when I realized.

 

Find a way to rescue me

Away from the current

 

I need to run away. But my heart’s begging for me to stay.

I wanna be selfish just for a little while.

 

~

 

I stared at Eugene’s lips while cupping her face and made her blush, her cheeks and ears obviously turning apple red. She was thinking about. Yeah. You already know it. Her eyes widened and I burst out laughing then started sharing facts from last night.

 

This tall human still can’t look at me in the eyes.

 

Loki warned everyone who wants to give this one shot of rare vodka mix a try, but well, Euge is Euge. Heather even helped me bring her into the cabin. Now here she is, so embarrassed to know how she throw up numerous times. One ridiculous TMI about her is she’s too cautious even when she’s drunk. You can’t even see a trace of mess on her outfit so I got no trouble about it.

 

“And this shirt. Well I don’t want to sleep on a floral dress. Most of my shirts at the laundry so I borrowed yours.” I explained grinning and handed her some medicine for hangover.

 

“So. How can I make it up with you?”  she asked me with those apologetic puppy eyes as I give her a bossy expression “You have no other choice but come with me. Be mine for a day.”