Surfing Against The Waves

Away From The Current

For the first time in her life, she wasn’t just thinking about herself and her struggle. Eugene tried juggling her thoughts but found it suffocating so she ended running it out on an oval track. She might be strong and athletic but running non-stop for hours might cause her to faint any minute. Candice has been chasing her over and over again but can’t keep up with her hard-headed best friend.

 

Euge realized how pain changed her. Once a very bright and friendly kid but things changed when her mom died on a car accident with her dad leaving her behind to pursue his career, passing her custody to her grandparents, her mom’s side. She grew up well. Talented and genius. But self-centered. She ignores people and don’t give a , just focusing on her life. Until she met Candy, a bubbly but gullible kid she saved from bullies at school, who became her best friend and a person who soften her stone heart. Then after so many years, her dad came back trying to re-conciliate but for her what he did was unforgivable.

As Eugene slow down a bit, her bestfriend managed to catch up on her pace and convince her

“Euge. Would you please stop? Do you wanna die?!” The taller simply shove her arm and continued running. So Candy, with all her might, tried dragging her out the track. Euge soon fell into her knees and started silently sobbing as Candy hold her tightly.

 

“I don’t know what to do anymore, Candice.”

 

“Then take it one step at a time, Euge. It’s okay to stop sometimes.”

 

~

 

+STEP ONE

 

Candice Choi entered the room with the whole team as requested by Architect Ahn.

 

“I know I messed up. And I’m sorry for leaving you all hanging. Would you give me another chance?” Eugene looking sorry as she nervously wait for her team’s response

 

The team looked at each other and nodded in unison. “Then let’ do our best Architect Ahn.”

 

“Just maybe. If it doesn’t hurt. Be nicer.”

 

“Nice one Architect Jo.” Candice winked at their straight forward junior, Yuri.

 

+STEP TWO

 

Eugene agreed working with the conditions given for the SWAN Project. CEO Jang scheduled a board meeting and a presentation to be given by Euge with Director Ahn present.

 

“Swan in SWAN Project is derived from the term ’swanning’ which means to wander aimlessly . Designed to accommodate the ‘wanderers’ within us. SWAN Project is a world-class resort with a flower farm and botanical adventure park embracing it’s heart, the hotel, in the middle, and spa and water park at the front, facing the west sea . Mission, to bring adrenaline, leisure, entertainment and nature in one. With a vision of creating an environment where adventure seems never-ending, where people of all ages will enjoy, SWAN is a destination for escapade. ” Yujin ended the presentation with the assurance of overseeing everything and come up with an innovative approach with the help of Democrat Architecture.

 

After the meeting, Director Ahn requested a personal meeting with her and Eugene surprisingly agreed.

 

“Grandpa told me the truth. You left because they asked you to. They kept blaming you about mom’s death. And I’m sorry for shutting you off all these years. I’ve been blinded by my own struggles.” Yujin confessed, letting those suppressed suffocating emotions flow as her dad cover her with such a warm hug that made her cry a river.

 

 

+STEP THREE

 

Architects Kim and Ahn just finished talking with their respective teams at Republican Builders quarters about the changes they are planning for the project.

 

“Two of the best architects now working together. From rivals to allies. And we can’t believe it’s real.”

 

“The lion and the tiger. It’s a wild combo isn’t it?” CEO Jang can’t help but ride on with Yena’s comment as they send both architects off.

 

“Mind grabbing something to eat?” Surprised, Euge paid attention to Mika, and immediately accepted the offer nodding. But instead of food, they ended up at a bar with Mika getting all emotional as the spirit of alcohol linger on her. She soon leaned closer on the other to say something.

“Eugene Ahn. if you made her braver, maybe you can convince her to get treated?” Euge saw how Mika’s tears started to flow. The latter break down almost losing her balance as the former immediately attended to her to keep her from falling “She’s the only one I have after our parents died. And I can’t imagine the world without her. Eugene. Please?”

 

~

 

Carrie now walking Eugene out to the porch “Sorry about this. I told her not to drink much and look how she loss conciousness. And thank you for bringing her home safely.” Euge forced a smile before going down the stairs. She halted as she reach the pavement and look back to Carrie “Already thought I’ve given up?”

 

“We will never gonna work, Yujin.” Carrie pleaded as she takd a couple of steps down the stairs “But believe me, I wanted us to. So I spent every opportunity with you in Bali.” she paused, then met Eugene’s gaze again “But You & we. We won’t win.”

 

Looking away she continued “ . . seriously, we really can’t. So please. Please. Live your life now without me.” Carrie sat at the stair covering her face with her palm as Euge came closer to her  

 

The taller bended a knee and took Carrie’s hands off her face “We can.”  She sat beside the other girl “What I can’t do is. . .” Leaning closer, she stared in those deep brown eyes like it’s her only world “I can’t stop being with you. So. . " She paused and caressed the other's hands "Stop counting sunsets and look forward for sunrises with me. What you’re going through, I've researched about it so I know what I’m risking into. But, Rie, I’m not the person who’ll simply run away without even trying.”

 

Looking at her intently, Eugene held Carrie’s hands tightly “You’ve changed my life. You made me believe in myself again. So give me a chance to fight with you in your battle. Let’s do this together, Rie.”

Shaking her head in disagreement, Carrie sobbed harder as she let Eugene wrap her with her warmth.