Sailing

Away From The Current

After a series of mostly “Good Morning” greetings via phone call and countless voice mails to check on Carrie every day, Eugene finally fixed her schedule to prepare a surprise for her Rie the next morning. She talked it out with Mika and even contacted Heather and Madison, who made a video presentation about Carrie’s adventure.

 

It was still dark outside when Carrie went out her veranda at the second floor. Looking down she noticed a huge projector screen installed. She soon saw her sister waiving at her near it making her rush her way downstairs.

 

The set up was similar to that one in Bali, that bonfire night. The lights suddenly went off as the video started playing with the first scene exposing a scared girl at the zip line. Carrie amusingly watched the video with such a bright smile painted on her face with Mika looking at her dearly, cherishing every moment seeing her dear sister so happy before turning her back to shed some tears.

 

Euge, Heathe and Mads as what Carrie calls them, showed up coming behind the screen greeting her a lively greeting “Good Morning Carrie angel!!!!” Madison immediately pulled their sweet girl into a hug crying, slapping the other girl’s arm “How dare you keep this to us!”

 

“Come on Mads! I’m not even dead yet. Reserve those tears!!” Carrie ridiculously responded that made Madison pout with tears slowly forming

 

“Hey watch that mouth of yours, you monkey.” Heather abruptly joined the hug

 

 

[Eugene POV]

 

Carrie started the chemotherapy again. All seem really well with her body accepting the treatment positively. Watching Rie do her best to hide any trace of grimace as she clench her fist suppressing the pain she feels was almost unbearable that I often end up walking out the room for her not to see me break down. Thankfully, Candice was always there to help me pull myself together.

 

The SWAN Project has been approved and we celebrated it by handling a little party at the foundation Carrie loves. She always makes time visiting the little cancer warriors there. I could still remember how Heather, Mads, Mika and I, wearing these teletubbies costumes, danced to various tiktok hits because she wanted us to. It was embarrasing but her smile is more than enough for me to keep going. I'd trade anything for those warm smiles.

 

She was laughing so much at Heather who foolishly danced so hard. I dragged her into the middle for Rie to dance too and turned to the table to grab my camera to capture it.

 

But then I heard somebody collapsed.

 

And my heart almost stopped beating.

 

~

 

Carrie is now lying on her bed with as I focus on my laptop searching for other doctors who can help her.

 

“My body is rejecting every treatment now. The doctor says. . . “ Her voice is weakening, eyes mirroring her weariness. Her lips drying up.

 

I can’t bear to hear it so I cut her off looking away “NO. There’s still a way Rie. There are tons of specialists out there!”

 

“You need to let me go.” Carrie pleaded, with her now weak and shaky voice. The pain hearing those words from her stings. Its so numbing and cuts deeper than razor blades.

 

“I can’t” I madly responded as I walk out of the room before I break down even more

 

~

 

It took me some time to accept the things that I cannot change.

Have the courage to change the things I can.

To accept the fact she’ll be leaving soon and replace fear of losing by loving her unconditionally every single day.

 

“Would you watch the sunset wih me?” Carrie pleaded. I lifted her up and brought her to the veranda. She leaned on my shoulder and I held her hand tightly pulling her closer as I hum into her favorite song, I love you 3000.