Just Do It

Away From The Current

They left the hotel at 7 AM and went straight for their first stop of the day, white water rafting.

Telaga Waja

It has a 16-kilometer long rafting route, longer than the famous Ayung River, and offers a more thrilling experience.

Four people per boat with one guide guiding them along the way. They were handed each paddle and the guide instructed the basics and guidelines of what to do.

“Anyone has done this before?” The guide asked, and Eugene simply raised her hand.

“We’ll basically stay at the back. Heather will be doing her best to capture our moments against the rapids.” Maddie interjected

The first four kilometers were bearable with Maddie still able to fill the boat with laughter but rapids became relatively more aggressive as they reach the middle course with those rock formations making it more intense.

As the flow became a little calmer, the guide advises them about a 5-meter fall they will face around the 10th kilometer. Carrie who’s sitting beside Eugene, took a quick grip on her cabin mate’s life vest “Carrie Kim. Take that grip off if you don’t want us to. . .”

“ . . . AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH”

Both of them fell deeper into their seats with legs up. “I told you not to pull me. . . .” Euge madly shouted. She was pissed at first but as she noticed Carrie struggling to get back to her seat while trying to control her laughter, Heather and Maddie laughing their butts off filming every moment, she realized that it’s not always about getting everything done right but making the best out of the situation. She pulled herself together and gave Carrie a hand, helping her to get back on her position.

"It’s always good to do your best but maybe not sometimes if the pressure steals away the joy and authenticity of the experience. Throwing that pressure off yourself makes the experience raw. You don’t need to be perfect all the time, just go with the flow and everything will fall into place." Eugene's thought as she lifts her paddle up

“Now get those paddles ready guys!” She cheerfully exclaimed as they slowly but surely (safe and happy) made it to the endpoint.

They were enjoying the boodle fight lunch prepared by the club when Eugene noticed Carrie taking the skin off the roasted chicken. Euge got a skinless part and instantly gave it to her cabinmate who’s also struggling to eat with her hands. Heather, as an eating expert, instructed Carrie on how to use her hands. Most of the club members’ eyes were on them, all looking like proud siblings adoring their youngest. They all meet each other’s gazes while filling their mouths with self-made java rice balls.

“Carrie's really our team’s baby, isn’t she?” Heather commented with a huge smile on her face

Maddie resting her elbow on the table with her chin on her palm, adorably admiring Carrie. She tapped the table and came up with a silly nickname “Shall we call you Carrie angel then?”

“Oh my Carrie. You’re busted! They finally saw your wings.” Carrie responded with a straight face which made all of them burst into laughter with Eugene spilling the food she’s chewing.

 

Ubud Market

Heather still giggling nonstop about what happened at Monkey forest “We never really saw that coming!”

Euge seems to obtain zero fear but they just unraveled one.  She’s afraid of monkeys.

She just clung to Carrie the whole time they were inside the forest. Thankfully, Carrie, an animal lover herself, playfully attracted those little apes and enjoyed their company. She gleefully attracts the little apes to distract them from climbing into Euge's shoulders.

“It was such a sight! Seeing tall Euge tremble with just seeing monkeys around right?” Maddie teased as Euge give her a smug face rolling her eyes. The taller soon made her way to the stalls checking a variety of Balinese souvenirs from the typical ones like rattan bags, slippers, clothes to art crafts, and more.

“This place actually gained attention after Julia Robert’s movie right?” Maddie asked as they go after Eugene who is busy checking souvenirs

“Eat. Pray. Love. Isn’t it?.!” Euge answered as she reaches for the accessories. Heather then picked a colorful pair of bracelets, sliding one into Maddie's wrist following a wink “Couple bracelets.”

“It’s Breathe. Play. Laugh.” The youngest cheekily commented which made everyone turn to her

“That sounds really nice!” Maddie amusingly replied. Carrie winked at her and continued speaking “Some travel to heal. Some, to escape. Yet it should be because we wanted to live life to the fullest despite the circumstances we all have.”

Eugene saw Carrie checking out a small notepad but immediately put it down to follow Maddie. It was decorated with dried celosia petals serving as its cover.  Looking at her cabinmate from afar, she took it and was in deep thought whether she’ll buy it or not. She soon felt Heather resting an arm on her shoulder “Celosia or cockscomb symbolizes boldness. If you want to wish someone courage, it’s the perfect gift.”

~

4 PM. ATV bikes, lined up and ready.

“It’s an adventure worth a try to enjoy the beautiful panoramic scenery and a unique way to complete your day on the island of Bali. Be ready to take a track of challenges that will take about two hours as we travel through the rice fields and local villages. See you all at the black sand for sunset!” Thor, a YOLO organizer, explained before leading the track.

“It’s my first time riding this that’s why I’m asking you to drive at a slow pace with me, Euge.”

“Doesn’t look like it. Look at you flawlessly driving ATV, Carrie. You just want to stick around me aren’t you?”

Minjoo suddenly sped up “Stop being silly! I don’t want to miss the sunset view!”

“Everyone! Thank you for being a part of the first YOLO club batch. We never expected to gain 24 participants and without you, this wouldn’t be possible. We hope that you had a great time, gained not just experience but friendships to cherish. It’s our last day tomorrow and based on the update, it’s not a good day to surf so we readied another set of water activities since the waves are flat. Loki and Thor will be present with the whole club. See you all tomorrow!” Moana concluded