Epilogue

Away From The Current

[Eugene's POV]

Months later, at the construction site of SWAN Project, while looking at the progress, I can’t help but look above and hope that Carrie could see how she inspired her sister and I to strive harder to fulfill this project.

 

It’s already late noon with the sun starting to set with me holding Rie’s journal, it was that one I bought her from Bali. I have always been keeping it in my bag but never had the courage to open it. And today, I’m finally ready to read it.

 

She really did wrote on every single page. I read everything with a smile on my face reminiscing the sound of her laughter, her soft giggles. At the last page comes a Polaroid photo. I pulled it out and saw a candid shot of me with the sunflowers at Belayu and a letter.

 

 

Dearest Eugenie,

 

Every day with you were the brightest days of my life. You gave me forever within the numbered days I have. Our little infinity is worth like a thousand years.

I’ve always been afraid to fall until you pushed me down that hall. And it was the best to free fall into the unknown with you. I refused to believe there's more to life but you made me cherish a life well-lived.

To my sunflower, soul surfer, sunrise. Every time you’re troubled, just watch the sunset and know that I’m always behind it, ready to take your worries away.

 

I love you, 3000.

 

Forever your angel,

Carrie

 

 

 

“You’ll always be my granny Rie.” I mumbled and smiled wholeheartedly as I imagine her silly reaction every single time I call her that nickname I gave her.

 

Looking at the setting sun, my longing for her came stronger than before. Reminiscing that night I’m holding, looking, and dancing with her under the stars, I closed my eyes as the the lyrics of that song hit me harder. Memories of Bali came flooding in as my tears overflow.

 

 

Away from the Current

Keiko Necesario

 

One minute, I’m standing tall

Then suddenly, I’m feeling small

In my world

You’re all that surrounds me

I’m drifting away from my sanity

 

 

“If I taught you how to live,

you taught me how to love.

Let’s meet again in another lifetime.”