ACT 1: Scene 2

Me and You
 
04
Riri/0920
Hello, freshmen.
"H ello, freshmen.” Ryeowook speaks out, voice clear and carried throughout the closed room. “I am Kim Ryeowook, a third-year from BME. I will be in charge of all of you along with my team here.” He nods his head curtly to the side, towards the other third years. “I know you’re all aware that the Engineering faculty of our university has these types of activities called ‘hazing’ for lack of better terms. These are to create a close bond between everyone involved in our faculty. However,” his tone changes, eyebrows creasing lightly. “Our role is to make sure you’re all disciplined, that you remain respectful of your seniors, and the university rules itself.” He pauses shortly, eyeing the reaction of the students, seeing as no one has the guts to interrupt him yet, he continues. “If you’re wanting to know what activities to expect, surely the second years have told you something.”

 

N nods from the side, smile small now that his seniors are there.

 

“The range of activities is wide, sometimes it can be tiring by doing lots of things, but we can also give you an easy day. All will be determined on how you guys act. You can get simple tasks if you’re all behaving properly, but once news of someone misbehaving reaches us, rest assured that we will punish every single one of you.”

 

There was a low murmur from the freshmen prompting the head hazer’s eyebrow to twitch slightly.

 

“This is to make sure,” he adds, immediately ending the loudening noise, “that you all know that whatever you do will have effects on people around you. Which might be something you can only understand when you’re experiencing it first-hand.”

 

Raising a closed fist, Ryeowook dangled a badge connected to a necklace chain. It was a fusion of the university’s and the faculty’s emblem, a symbol of ST’s Engineering faculty that has been made as a gift for every student that passed the initiation rites. Made up off sterling silver, a bit heavy, which is the reason they soon offered the option to make it available on different types of ways. There is a necklace, bracelet (which has the badge in a smaller form to not make it too heavy) and even a pin, which is the smallest of the three, however, it still is as pleasing to the eye as the other two.

 

Students who already know about this are interested in how the emblem looks in real life, some pictures just don’t live to the expectation after all. Some have never seen it and are surely interested now; it was something you’d want to have.

 

“This,” Ryeowook starts, emblem swinging lightly. “Is the symbol of our dearest faculty, an item that means you’re one of us. This symbolizes the honour and dignity of not only our faculty but the university itself. Getting this is not easy though,” he explains. “you must complete the activities, understand the spirit and essence of brotherhood. Then, and only then, do all seniors consider you as worthy underclassmen.” He lowers his hand, pocketing the trinket.

 

One of the two tall hazers spoke up, his voice crisp clear, gaze firm and stern. “You’re all obligated to attend each gathering, Fridays. Be within the area by 4:45 P.M., we will give you five minutes as grace periods to change into your uniform, go to the toilet, or whatever else you must take care of. You absolutely cannot be late, once we start, you’re not allowed to leave during our sessions. And for the nth time, remember to respect your seniors. If you must speak up, you must say your student number and name before saying anything.”

 

“Lastly,” it was Ryeowook’s voice again, still the same tone he was using earlier, how he didn’t raise his voice one bit, yet the freshmen had collectively felt a shiver run up their spine when he started talking again. “You’re all going to follow our rules and orders. Disobedience equals punishment. Understood?”

 

There was a weak chorus of “yes” from the first years.

 

“Understood?” Ryeowook asked again, tone raising ever so slightly.

 

“Yes sunbaenim!”

author's note
Does it feel too stretched out? *hmm emoji*