ACT 1: Prologue

Me and You
 
01
Riri / 0818
Welcome, freshmen
A t 8:30 in the morning the two big gates of ST university are pulled open, it is the start of a new school year. Students come through the gates in clusters of friend groups, their boisterous laughter heard until the nearest corner from the school, everyone can be seen wearing short-sleeved white shirts— the standard wears for the first day of each academic year. The university provides students jackets that are assigned with a color to show what year they are in, except the fourth years who were mostly off-campus  for their internships. Aside from the jackets, some faculties also give their students things or articles of clothing to further identify their major or year.

 

Going through the gates, the students had to walk a few meters to enter the main building, containing the registrar, common library, cafeteria, main auditorium— as each faculty also has a smaller one for mini-events or quick seminars— and offices of the higher-ups are located. Then, a little bit farther by both the west and east of the main building are the buildings for every faculty with at least 2 floors each, all built to form a circle with a wide enough gap to serve as the university’s field while on the outer part of the building circle were mini gardens for each building for students waiting for classes or out to get fresh air.

 

For now, all returning and new students were moving towards their main auditorium which can hold up to twice of their current student population, the extra space for whenever there were special guests or media— though it was just enough to not crowd everyone else who came to the auditorium.

 

Members of the student council were standing on every 6 doors that lead to different sides and levels of the place, SC pins on the right of their yellow top as they usher students to sit on sections assigned for their year. A low buzz resounding off the closed space as more students from higher years find their friends and start chatting away. The lights dimmed after a few moments, and the brief welcoming program started, the most important people had spoken and welcomed the freshmen and the upper years who made it to another academic year. The rules were laid out, and then, the students were dismissed and allowed to go to their buildings, with the special instruction for engineering freshmen to head directly to their faculty auditorium. There was chatter once again as everyone headed to their destinations.

 

By the entrance of the building, there were three long tables laid out with ten second-year students of the faculty seated, papers and pen in front. The freshmen lined up, some already talking with high school friends they found, or new acquaintances, the second years in front of them are welcoming, a smile on their face as they talked to the next freshman who will come up to the table to list down their name, major, and student number. After writing down the student number and first name of whoever was in front on a big piece of vellum, the second years gave off the nametags the freshmen would be using during their hazing hours.

 

Well, using the word ‘hazing’, it isn’t as terrifying as everyone may think of it to be, the faculty has arranged this as activities of freshmen once every week for the first semester.

 

Seated on the floors of the auditorium, the freshmen are welcomed by another set of second years who then talked about their own faculty's rules and introductions.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, new guys.” One of the second years spoke up in front of the rows and rows of new students, he was quite tall, black bangs swept to the side and behind the ear. On his face was a friendly smile which made some freshmen smile back when he makes eye-contact. He was doing a good job in making them less-nervous, at least. “Congratulations to making it in, though that was already said earlier a bunch of time,” he chuckles, “Welcome to ST University's Engineering faculty. I hope that upon getting your acceptance notice in this school, you’re all well aware that our faculty aims to create a brotherhood between the students. Even if you come from different majors. Connections can come in handy, you know,” He walks off a bit to the side, looking at students who aren’t quite visible in the centre. “Can you all hear me? My friends said I don’t have to use the sound system with the volume of my voice.”

 

Some giggles left the crowd, but the students from the back and far side answered with an audible “yes!”

 

The male smiled again, clapping his hands once lightly. “So, they weren’t lying huh.” He quips. “The people in front of you right now are members of the second-year committee. You’ll be seeing us quite a lot because we mostly run around doing tasks when not in our class, and because we’ll be assisting the third years with your activities.” He mentions, then gestures to a fair-skinned second year closest to him, “I’ll let the other committee members introduce themselves.”

 

The next man waves. “Nice to meet you, the name’s Hyungsik, I major in Environmental Engineering. If you need any help, you can talk to me.” He smiles brightly, then gestures for the shorter lady next to him.

 

“Hi,” she bows slightly, “you can call me Solji. I’m in the same major and class as Hyungsik. Pleased to meet you.” She gave a smile which quickly disappeared, before adding, “If I have to say something now, it’s that you shouldn’t think about taking us lightly. We might be wanting to form a brotherhood with you, but don’t forget your manners, know your limits.”

 

Some freshmen looked at each other after her words while the girl next to her laughed, placing her hand on Solji’s shoulder in a friendly manner. “Your Solji sunbaenim meant it as a harmless thing, of course, never forget respect.” (Solji smiles a little.) “You guys can call me LE. Mechanical engineering major, let’s get along well yeah?” She smiles, then bumps the back of the man next to her.

 

Said man waves both his hands, eyes disappearing into slits as he smiles a closed-lipped smile, “I’m Jinki, in mechanical, but different class from LE here. You’ll be seeing me a lot since I’m also in the college’s council. Don’t hesitate to approach me.” He waved over the last man of the bunch, standing a bit behind the talking seniors.

 

“Jung Leo. From civil.” It was all he says, and without missing a beat, the man who was speaking to the freshmen spoke again, the same warm smile on his face.

 

“You can call me N. That’s a single character so you can all remember me the easiest.” The second years laugh. “I’m in Industrial, also in the university’s dance club, so you’d see me in the main auditorium if not in class.”

 

N didn’t talk about how some of the new students were still stealing glances at Leo, who seemed to be on the same boat as Solji— only that he doesn’t want the freshies to approach him at all, as he casually mentions that some of the committee members are absent because of errands to run.

 

“That’s enough about us." N puts his hands together with a sweet smile after talking for a while. "Have you all found friends to talk with? How about we do some games for now?”

 

A quarter of an hour later, the freshmen are buzzing with noise as they chat with one another some of the second years are involved as well. N suddenly called for their attention, having been reminded of something by Leo.

 

“Ah right, kids.” N calls out, having taken in calling the freshmen “kids” from the past hour. “I’m sure you all know that our faculty has these activities for the first years that are taken care of the third years. The announcement for the members of the team consisting of third years is posted on the notice board outside the auditorium. I don’t know if you had looked, but they will be your hazers for the months that the activities will take place.” He looks around, making sure everyone else was paying attention to him. “The third years will be coming any time soon. They’d like to talk to you all before the start of the weekly activities. By then, please don’t forget the essentials that we’ve given you. The shirt is made up of refreshing material so when you guys do physical activities you won’t feel as hot. Also, please never forget or lose your nametags unless you’re sure you all know each other yeah?” He chuckles lightly.

 

The freshmen sat down again, this time next to new friends, drinking from the water bottles they were given earlier when Leo approached N and spoke to his ear, the man nodding at him.

 

“They’re here.” He said with a gentle smile towards the freshmen.

And then, the distinct sound of the auditorium doors swung open from behind everyone.

author's note
Welcome to Me and You! No fixed update schedule yet, but draft is already hefty, we're going to stray from the original plot. Just loosely basing the universe on the work. I may have had a bit of too much fun when writing the second years, but they're not going to get much more screentime after this anyway so I'm spoiling myself lol.

comments are welcome! thank you for reading!