ACT 2: Scene 2

Me and You
 
11
Riri/1203
Paperbag.
S iwon would love to complain right now, only that, he’s in this situation because it’s partly (not) his fault.

Well, it’s not that bad, it’s just that he didn’t reserve any of his books online (he didn’t want to buy first-hand books when he can practice saving up his allowance), and he really did not know which store to go to for his materials, so he ended up going around the area for a while, checking each store and hoping that he can end early.

It’s now lunchtime, and he’s almost sweaty from walking around. So, while wiping his neck with a handkerchief, he enters the nearby mall with a relieved sigh after feeling the cool air on his skin. His thin shirt had started to cling to his back, so he removed it from his back for a while, holding it by the extra strap on the top.

Seeing that it’d be better to eat now than wait for the mall to get crowded, Siwon moves to go down to the food court, set on filling his stomach.

There’s a lot of stores selling books here, the freshman notices, eating a bowl of bibimbab in a seat for two at the food court. Though they probably sell books at higher prices. He shrugs and continues eating.

 

As he was exiting his favourite store, Ryeowook waves goodbye to the staff he had become familiar with in his three years of frequenting the mall. He adjusts his grip on the paper bag and starts heading to the other side of the mall, remembering his earphones stopped working last week.

Ryeowook was quietly humming to himself, walking to the store near the innermost part of that wing, to where he usually buys his earphones when he suddenly feels the bag in his hold give up and a ripping sound was heard followed by a cluster of thudding books.

He immediately crouched down and gathered the heavy textbooks in his arms, trying to scoop up as much as possible to move to the side.

“Let me help, please.” Someone says from in front of him, and a tanned arm came into view to pick up some books that he hadn’t gotten to pick up yet, Ryeowook says his thank you and they both move to the side near the railings instead of the middle of the walkway.

Finally looking up, Ryeowook was about to thank the other man again when he noticed who it was. However, he was recognized first.

“Oh, Ryeowook sunbaenim.” Even the freshman seemed surprised, moving back a bit to formally bow to his senior.

Deciding that it doesn’t really matter who recognized who first, Ryeowook mentally shrugs before answering. “I take it that you’re a freshman?”

“Yes.” He was (still) all polite, keeping his posture straight (Ryeowook still must look up to meet his eyes though, damn it). “I’m 0398 Choi Siwon.”

Ryeowook nods, okay, looks like Jongwoon and Hyukjae are right about this guy. He sounds polite, but not in the way he was forced because of seniority.

They both suddenly seem to notice that Ryeowook's books now have nowhere to be put into and Siwon was still holding on a couple more books that the older dropped. “ah,” Ryeowook starts, occupied hands moving nearer to the younger. “My books, sorry about that.”

Siwon looks like he was about to hand over the books, but he suddenly stops. “Where would you put them, sunbae?”

“Huh…” The older man blinks, that’s right. His bag isn’t big enough to hold these many books, and it was not like he has an extra paper bag with him. “You’re right. I’ll buy from a shop then.” He ponders, Siwon replied by adjusting the books he was holding to one hand and tugging on a side zipper of his bag.

“Please hold on,” he says with a smile before pulling out a medium-sized re-usable bag and flinging it open. He sees Ryeowook’s hand immediately hold on the other end of the bag and he shoots his senior another smile. Ryeowook watches as Siwon puts the thick books into the bag and silently reaches his palm out to him, he raises an eyebrow. “The ones you’re holding, please.” The boy gestures, taking the remaining books in hand to put them properly into the bag. When the heavy load is safely stored in a new, sturdier, bag, Siwon adjusts his grip on the handles and Ryeowook waits for the guy to hand it over to him, right hand reached out.

“… Are you not going to hand them over?” The third-year asks.

“I… will, sunbae.” Siwon answers, the ‘will’ a bit hesitant. “Are you about to buy anything here? I can accompany you.”

Ryeowook’s eyebrow raised. “Yes, but why would you?”

Siwon blinks twice. “Um… No real reason? It’s just that these are kind of heavy to lug around.”

“Siwon-ssi, in case you forget, I’m a man. I can carry that.” Ryeowook deadpans and instead of getting scared of getting his senior mad, he sees Siwon’s lips quirk to one side.

“Won’t carrying heavy stuff stop someone from growing taller?”

 

What.

“Excuse me?” The head hazer is now frowning, however, the guy in front of him actually giggles and then gestures to the direction Ryeowook was headed to prior to their interaction.

“I was joking, but let me go with you, sunbaenim.”

Ryeowook didn’t reply immediately, just side-eyeing the younger man in front of him before gesturing his head to the direction of the store he was headed before his paper bag gave up on him.

Siwon wordlessly followed behind him, a tiny smile on his face while walking the same pace as Ryeowook.

 

“Alright, I’ve bought it.” Said Ryeowook as he was walking out of the tech store. He has a small paper bag in hand and his phone in the other as Siwon has insisted he wait outside with the books instead. “You can give me back my books now, you know.”

The older looks on as Siwon darts his eyes around for a bit, his grip on Ryeowook’s things adjusting but never with the intention to give them back to the owner.

… “Do you not plan on handing them back to me?”

“I do!” Siwon protests right away. “It’s just um, do you have anywhere else here you need to check out?”

Ryeowook felt his eyebrow raising again. What’s this kid trying to do?

 

“None that I could think of, no.”

“Then would you like to get some snacks?” Siwon offers to his senior, it was well after lunchtime, after all, maybe Ryeowook hasn’t eaten yet.

“What?” The senior simply says, Siwon feels himself start to fidget.

“I mean,” he starts “we’re already in a mall and maybe you haven’t eaten lunch yet.”

The hazer in front of him just blinks, then says in a flat tone. “If you think kissing up to me will make your activities easier, you’re wrong.”

That got Siwon flustered this time, he moved from leaning against the railing behind him and unconsciously pouts as he defends himself. “That’s not it at all sunbae, I- uh I—it’s quite hot outside so I was just wondering if you’d like a cold treat…” He explains, getting more flustered as he sees Ryeowook just looking at him with a straight expression on his face.

“…”

“…”

“… Fine.” The hazer finally says, un-crossing his arms and putting one hand on his hip.

“Coffee?” Siwon offers.

“Sure.” They both start to walk away from the railings, “and give me back my stuff. That’s an order.”

“But—” Siwon was about to argue more when Ryeowook finally snaps his head to the side and glares at him.

Siwon ssi.” He snarls. “We are not close.”

They continue walking to the escalators though, moving down to go to a nice coffee shop on the second floor. Siwon turns around from his step on the escalator that was one step lower than Ryeowook’s.  “Is it not basic manners to be nice though?” He asks, tilting his head back and a bit to the side.

He doesn’t get an answer from Ryeowook, just blinks and a straight face.

Well, at least he stopped trying to get the books back.

 

The two exits the coffee shop ten minutes later, Ryeowook is holding an iced chocolate drink while Siwon sipped on his cold coffee, his other hand still holding on the bag with the other’s books.

“You’re going back now?” Ryeowook asks, not looking to the taller guy beside him (his neck will hurt if he does it again). Siwon almost looked like he was happy(?) that Ryeowook talked first.

“Ah yes, how about you sunbae? Would you like me to drive you back?” Ryeowook felt an eyebrow of his shoot up, the younger guy was looking at him but he didn’t look back.

Taking a sip of his drink, Ryeowook sent him a side glance. “You’re quite enjoying being nice, Siwon ssi. I’d have to turn down your offer though, I have another errand to run.”

He sees Siwon nod from the corner of his eyes, they’re getting close to the mall exit on the main floor. “You were offering to drive me back? Then I doubt this is your exit. The car parks are on the other side of the mall.”

“Oh, right. Then what about your books, sunbae?”

“Isn’t it obvious? Give them back. Unless you’re planning on taking it home with you and giving them to me back in the dorms.” Ryeowook utters, sarcasm dripping from his tone.

“I don’t see a problem not to?” From the words that came from Siwon’s mouth, Ryeowook turns his head to look at him fully.

“No. Give them back, other students will assume I’m playing favourites or ordering you around outside of gatherings.” He answers firmly. Siwon blinks at him, stopping to walk as well. He looks like he wants to protest but kept his mouth shut.

Without a word, Siwon holds out the bag by the strap, another hand with drink idle on his side. Ryeowook takes it and nods in thanks before stepping back.

“Get home safe, sunbaenim.”

 

Siwon settled in his car and quietly places his drink on the cupholder, backpack in the passenger’s seat. He hadn’t started the engine yet, just drumming his fingers against the steering wheel. He glances down at his drink and watches as a drop of water goes down the side. He tilts his head, seeming to think of something before snapping out of it and starting the car, going home shortly.

author's note
FINALLY THEY MET HAHAHAHA PLEASE even I'm getting tired of them missing out on meeting each other.
next updates might take a while (if you haven't noticed, I've been updating every ten days) because I wrote things in advance, but this is as far as it goes. the next chapter is still halfway done TT, so I'm sorry in advance HAHA. Let me know what your thoughts are in the comments, I love reading them ;w; please.

see you!