Just another day at work

Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Their first promotion of the day was an appearance on a radio show. As they were riding in the van on the way there, Suyeon read out the day's schedule. 

"Okay, this morning we're on the radio with Kim Min-Ji, then a short break for lunch, then this afternoon we've got dance practice, then a break for dinner, then tonight we're on Mnet. After we get back to the dorm, Elly's supposed to do a V-live for the Ki-ling."

"Oh, I'm not going to be able to go to dance practice this afternoon," Doyeon said.

"Why not?" Suyeon asked.

"I've got an audition this afternoon," Doyeon replied. 

Suyeon took a deep breath and counted to ten while she tried to calm down. "Weren't you just on a drama? Don't you take Weki Meki seriously?"

"Of course I take Weki Meki seriously," Doyeon countered, "but I've got to auditions if I'm going to get parts. Weki Meki is just part of my career - I can still act for years after Weki Meki breaks up."

"Weki Meki's going to break up a lot sooner if we're not serious about it," Suyeon snapped.

"I am serious - whenever I'm at a practice, I work twice as hard so I can learn everything faster." Doyeon put in her earbuds. "I think it just bothers you that I've got things going on outside of Weki Meki." And with that, she conspicuously her music, then turned and stared out the window.

Suyeon closed her eyes and counted to ten again, desperately trying to calm down before they got to the radio station. 

"Doyeon always does work hard when she's in practice. It shouldn't matter if she misses some of the practices," Yoojung said.

Suyeon snorted in exasperation as she turned to face Yoojung. "Practices aren't just about learning the songs or the choreos," she said. "They're also how we build esprit de corps. All the hours we've spent together in the practice room have welded us into a unit."

"If we're not a unit after three years, I don't know when we would be. I think you're making a big deal over nothing," Yoojung said.

Suyeon was on the verge of losing her temper. "I know you and Doyeon have a special bond from your time in I.O.I, but it really doesn't help things when you come to her defense every time she and I have a disagreement. There are already a lot of fans who think of Weki Meki as 'Doyeon, Yoojung, and friends.' We don't need to act like it."

Yoojung held up her hands. "I'm not trying to split up the group," she said, "I just think you're being unfair. Doyeon has the most going on outside of Weki Meki because she hustles for it. Whenever she has spare time, she's practicing lines or trying to find new shows to audition for or something like that. But just last week she turned down a part in a new drama because the producers couldn't guarantee her that filming wouldn't interfere with her Weki Meki promotion activities."

Lua leaned forward, interposing herself between Suyeon and Yoojung. "If we're going to talk more about that - and I really wish we wouldn't - it needs to wait for the end of the day, after all the promotions. Right now we're got to be happy and smiling for the Ki-lings." She hit Suyeon and Yoojung with her brightest smile.

Suyeon turned away from Yoojung and threw herself back in her seat. 

Lucy turned her seat around so she was facing Yoojung. She reached out and took Suyeon's hand. "It'll be okay," she said quietly. "Kim Min-ji's show is always one of our favorite radio shows to be on - she always knows how to make the interviews fun."

Suyeon clasped Lucy's hand. She nodded slightly and attempted to stop scowling.

"That's more like it!" Lucy said. "Do you have a smile for me? Even a little one? Huh? A smile for Lucy?"

Suyeon couldn't resist this - she smiled at Lucy. "You're right," she said. "I've got to stop letting things get to me."

"That's it," Lucy said. She quickly turned and glanced out the van's windshield. "You're going to need that smile because it looks like there are a lot of Ki-Lings waiting for us."

Suyeon pushed her issues with Doyeon to the back of her mind. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and let it out. When she opened her eye, she smiled at Lucy. "Thanks," she said. "I needed that."

Just then the van pulled to a stop outside the radio station. "Everyone mask up and remember to practice social distancing," Manager-nim said said as she tied on her mask.

The members put on their masks and got out of the van. The Ki-Lings were lining both sides of the sidewalk, with six feet of space between them, all wearing masks. As the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter