Together and apart

Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suyeon and Lucy met up with Hyun-Woo and Min-Kyu at the museum. Suyeon introduced Lucy and Min-Kyu.

"From what I've heard I'm not really your type," Lucy said with a smile, "but I think we'll have fun today anyway."

"I think so," Min-Kyu said. He offered Lucy his arm and escorted her into the museum.

"Well, those two seem to have their act down pat," Suyeon said with a laugh.

"I know," Hyun-Woo said as he took Suyeon's hand and walked into the museum with her. "If I didn't know better. . ."

"Well, that is the idea," Suyeon said.

"Ji Suyeon! Ji Suyeon!"

Suyeon looked up to see who was calling her name and was blinded by the flash from a camera. 

"Thank you!" said the Ki-Ling who'd taken the picture. "Have a great day!"

Suyeon waved at her as she and Hyun-Woo walked deeper in the museum. Behind them, she could hear a security guard confronting the fan: "Miss, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Flash photography is forbidden in the museum."

"And that's another reason I picked the museum for today," Hyun-Woo said quietly. "Now, where did Min-Kyu and Lucy go?"

"There they are!" Suyeon said, pointing toward a special exhibit of 20th century American art in a gallery off to one side. 

Once they had met up with Lucy and Min-Kyu, Min-Kyu got Hyun-Woo's attention and said "There's a painting over her you really need to see."

After the guys have wandered off, Suyeon and Lucy moved over toward another wall of the gallery, making a show of looking at the artworks on the walls. Suyeon reached out and took Lucy's hand, confident that if anyone saw them, they'd just look like two friends holding hands. They found themselves in front of a wooden box.

"I don't get it," Lucy said, tilting her head to the side and squinting at the artwork. "What is it?"

The box contained antique keys, seashells, and a number of other small objects. Behind the objects, the box was lined with paper torn from a piece of sheet music. The label on the wall next to the box was less than helpful, stating simply "Box, Joseph Cornell, mixed media."

"I don't know what to think of it either," Suyeon said. "It makes me feel kind of lonely, though." She shivered and clutched Lucy's hand tighter.

"I think I like it, though," Lucy said.

"I don't know that I can say whether or not I like it," Suyeon said, "but it certainly gets a reaction from me."

Just then, Min-Kyu came over and tapped Lucy on the shoulder. "There's a video installation over there you should go see," he said, indicating a small booth in the corner. "It takes seven minutes, but it's worth every second."

"Okay! We'll check it out!" Lucy said, dragging Suyeon over to the booth. 

Once they were inside the booth, a video started playing, showing a variety of cityscapes to a background of discordant music.

"I don't get why we're supposed to see this," Suyeon said, scowling at the screen.

"Because we're sitting in a small enclosed room," Lucy said, "with a curtain to give us privacy, and music playing to cover any sounds we might incidentally make."

Suyeon looked at Lucy. "What?"

Lucy leaned forward and kissed Suyeon, who was too startled for a moment to kiss her back. 

 

 

"So?" Sei asked. "How did it go?"

"Great!" Lucy said. "We're going on another double date with the guys next time we have a day off - we're going to the movies!"

"Oh? Well, that's a relief,." Sei said.

Suyeon reached out and put her hand on Sei's shoulder. "See? Nothing to worry about."

"But there could have been something!" Sei protested. "We can't be too careful."

"Well, if you think it's quite safe," Lucy said with a pointed glance at Sei, "I've got to go do some laundry."
"I thought you did your laundry last night?" Sei asked.

Lucy shook her head. "I was supposed to have, but I was too nervous about today and couldn't really do anything."

Sei turned to Suyeon. "See? I wasn't the only one who was nervous."

Suyeon laughed. "Yes, but Lucy was nervous because she was actually going to be there."

Sei pouted. "I've got to look out for my little sister."

Lucy gave Sei a hug on her way out of the room. "Well, thank you for looking out for me, but I really think there's nothing for you to worry about now."

Just then, Yoojung came in. "Hey guys!" Yoojung seemed not quite her usual bouncy self. "Um. . . Suyeon, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure." Su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter