Ice Cream and Soju

Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suyeon looked down the long table at Weki Meki and - in a shocking change - their boyfriends. They were out to celebrate their three year anniversary since their debut and, at the same time, the lifting of their dating ban. Suyeon knew that some of the members had been dating before the ban was officially lifted, but it was in a very secretive, hands-off sort of way. Under the dating ban, to be "dating" someone meant you texted them whenever you could and you saw them in person once every few months, if that. Suyeon was proud to note that almost all of her members had found someone. Elly was dating Astro's Moonbin. Doyeon was dating one of her makeup artists from "Pop-Out Boy." Sei was dating the assistant chef at one of her favorite organic restaurants. Everyone had found someone except for Suyeon and except for Lucy, who was sitting at the opposite end of the table from Suyeon.

Suyeon knew why Lucy hadn't found anyone. Helping Lucy deal with her issues had been one of Suyeon's biggest challenges as a leader and an unnie. She had lost track of how many times she had stayed up late with Lucy, as Lucy was crying and confused. "Sometimes I think I like guys," she'd say, "and sometimes I think I like girls. I don't know if I'm straight or if I'm gay!" It was also Suyeon could do to keep from saying "Be gay! Be gay with me!" 

Yes, Ji Suyeon, leader of oldest unnie of Weki Meki, was gay. And furthermore, she had a huge crush on Lucy, the group's maknae. At first she had just thought it was a protective, sisterly feeling that she was feeling toward Lucy, but as time passed and Lucy matured, Suyeon realized that that was not the case. Sisters didn't do the things that she dreamed of doing with Lucy.

It would have been so easy, at any of dozens of nights that Lucy was trying to deal with her uality, for Suyeon to steer her toward being gay, and then make a move on her. But she knew that wasn't the right thing to do. She had to think about what was best for Lucy, and trying to figure out what Lucy actually wanted, not the things that she wanted for Lucy.

And that was how they came to where they were now: Celebrating their third anniversary, their dating ban lifted, and every member except Suyeon and Lucy dating somebody. Suyeon sighed and fiddled with the last of her rice. As she scooped up the last few grains and ate them, she realized what she needed to do.

"Okay, everyone, can I have your attention please?" she called out. Once she had everyone's attention. she announced. "I know you're all expecting me to lead you to phase two of the night. I know you've been wondering what bar or club I was going to lead you to, whether there would be karaoke or dancing or both or what. Well, I'm about to satisfy your curiosity."

After a longer than expected pause while Suyeon gathered her nerve for what she was about to say, Yoojung called out. "Well, don't just leave us hanging!" They all laughed at this, which broke the expectant mood and gave Suyeon just the push she needed to go through with her plan.

"There will be no phase two," she said. Over the rapidly rising tide of gasps and exclamations, she said "After three long years, our dating ban is finally lifted, and almost all of you have found someone already, so I'm guessing you'd rather spend the evening with your guy than trying to impress Leader Ji."

There was much gasping and laughter over this. Finally, Elly raised her glass and got everyone's attention, along with enough quiet that she could be heard. "Cheers to Leader Ji," she said, "for planning the perfect end of dating ban celebration! Don't get me wrong - I love all my members and I've enjoyed meeting your boyfriends, but I'm looking forward to spending some time with my boyfriend." There was general applause and rejoicing at this.

"Then, I'll be the first to leave," Suyeon said, and with that she got up and left the restaurant. She smiled at all her members on the way out, wishing them a happy night and reminding them that they still had to get back to the dorm in time to sleep before tomorrow's promotion. She didn't want to let on that what she was looking forward to was a pint of ice cream and a bottle of soju she had back in the dorm.

As she went outside, she noticed that it was starting to rain. She fished an umbrella out of her purse and opened it just as the first fat drops started hitting t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter