A very odd afternoon

Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suyeon paced around the living room with Sei trailing along behind her. Finally she stopped short and spun around to face Sei. "I don't care how nice a guy he is, I'm not interested in going out with your boyfriend's brother!" Sei just stood there quietly, nervously chewing her lower lip. "What?" Suyeon asked. "What aren't you telling me?"

Sei took half a step back and cringed a little bit. "I. . . um. . . well. . ."

Suyeon rolled her eyes. "Just tell me!"

Sei took another half step back. "I kind of already told Do-Hyun you'd do it" she said, as if she had to get the words out before she lost her courage.

"You what?" Suyeon's eyes were huge.

"Well, I felt bad about you being all alone on our anniversary night, and Do-Hyun said his brother wasn't dating anyone - it seemed like a perfect arrangement!" Sei clasped her hands together and gave an excited little hop. "And if someday I marry Do-Hyun and you marry his brother, we'll be sisters!"

Suyeon put her hand to her forehead, as if this whole conversation was giving her a headache. "Not that I object to the idea of being sisters with you, but don't you think you're rushing things a little bit? I mean, I've never even met Do-Hyun's brother. It don't know anything about him except that he is Do-Hyun's brother. I don't even know his name!"

"It's Hyun-Woo," Sei said with a decisive nod.

"That's not the point!" Suyeon yelled. "The point is that you've fixed me up a blind date without asking me about it first!"

Lua walked past just in time to hear this. "Wait, Sei? You fixed Suyeon up on a blind date?"

Sei nodded. "I've arranged for her to go out with Do-Hyun's brother, Hyun-Woo."

Lua's face lit up with a huge grin. "That's great! Do-Hyun's such a great guy. His brother is probably just as good."

"He is," Sei said, "but Suyeon's saying she won't go."

Lua threw up her hands. "What?"

"I know, right?" Sei said. "I fix her up with a great guy and all she can say is no!"

Lua stepped forward and grabbed Suyeon by the shoulders. "You've got to go on this date, Suyeon. Even if this guy isn't Mr. Right, maybe it'll break your long dry spell."

"I'm not having a long dry spell!" Suyeon said fiercely. "I just haven't met a guy I'm interested in dating!"

Lau gently shook Suyeon. "And how are you going to meet him if you won't take a chance?"

"I just. . . I. . . " Suyeon visibly deflated. "There's no way I'm getting out of this conversation without agreeing to a date, is there?"

Sei and Lua both shook their heads.

Suyeon sighed dramatically. "Fine! But if I'm going to do this, I've got some conditions."

Sei nodded. "Sure, Suyeon. Like what?"

Suyeon thought for a moment, then started counting things off on her fingers. "One: It's a daytime date - coffee or something. Two: It's not a double date with you and Do-Hyun. And three: If after this date I decide I don't want to go out with him again, you guys back off."

Sei nodded. "Sure thing, Suyeon. We can do that. I'll arrange for coffee this Saturday afternoon."

Suyeon turned to leave the room. Sei already had her phone out calling Do-Hyun.

 

 

"You're what?" Lucy yelled at Suyeon. As soon as she realized how loud she had been, she looked around the park to see if anyone had noticed her. Fortunately, no one had.

"I'm going out for coffee with Sei's boyfriend's brother this Saturday afternoon," Suyeon said quietly. She held up her hand to forestall the round of protestations she was sure were coming. "It's not what I would have chosen either, but agreeing to this was the only way to get Sei and Lua off my back. At least I was able to get them to agree that if I don't want to go out with him again, I don't have to."

"But you were supposed to spend Saturday afternoon with me!" Lucy protested.

Suyeon laid her hand on Lucy's arm. "And I will," she said, "except for the hour I have to spend going on this date so we can stay in the closet to our members."

'Well, okay, I guess," Lucy said with a pout. "But what if you end up liking him?"

Suyeon grabbed Lucy and turned her to face her. "Look, over the course of my life I've met hundreds of guys, maybe thousands, I didn't count. And I haven't liked any of them. This may be somewhat hard for you to understand, because you're not wired the same way, but I am not at all interested in dating guys. Guys do nothing for me. Period. End of discussion."

"You're right," Lucy said, shaking her head. "I can't imagine being able to just write off half the people in the world without even meeting them. But if you say that's it works for you, I'll trust you. I just. . ."

Suyeon noticed a tear welling up in Lucy's eye and hurried to wipe it away. "It'll be fine," she said. "I'll go have coffee with him, then come back to you. If it helps, think of it as if I'm going to a business meeting,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter