Answers and Questions

Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Unnie, can you do me a favor?" Rina asked.

Yoojung looked skeptically at her. She'd already spent all afternoon shopping for shoes, what more could Rina want? "What favor?" she asked hesitantly.

"I really kind feel like I need to be alone for a while. Could you take my shoes back to the apartment and I'll be back in a little while?"

"Are you sure?" Yoojung asked. "You don't usually like going places by yourself - that's why I'm here."

"I know," Rina said, "but I want to get more comfortable being by myself, and right now I don't feel like going back to the apartment."

"Okay, if you're sure," Yoojung said, taking Rina's shopping bag from her. "I'll put your shopping on your bed."

Rina jumped forward and gave Yoojung a hug. "Thanks unnie! You're the best!"

Yoojung smiled as she walked off. This favor for Rina would give her a chance to go to a pharmacy far away from the dorm and buy a pregnancy test. Waving good-bye to Rina, she walked down the street and turned into the next pharmacy she found. She picked up a shopping basket and went up and down the aisles, looking for the pregnancy tests. Ginseng tonics, hangover cures, headache pills, antacids - she was on the verge of asking for help when she spotted the pregnancy tests.

"Wow!" she said. "I had no idea there were so many different kinds of pregnancy tests. She settled on one that came three tests to a box and promised to give 99.5% accurate results in under a minute.

"What if I'm recognized despite everything?" she asked herself. She thought for a minute as she walked down the aisle of greeting cards and stationery. "That's it!" she said to herself. She picked out a birthday card and some wrapping paper. "If I get recognized, I'll say it's a gag gift for a friend's birthday."

As it turned out, her precautions were totally unnecessary - the part-timer working the register didn't even look up at her. Slipping the pharmacy bag inside the shoe store bag, she left the pharmacy and headed back to the dorm.

Rina stood outside the Intercontinental Seoul COEX, took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and walked in. She looked around the lobby, in awe of the luxuriousness of her surroundings. "This is much better than any hotel we've ever stayed at," she said to herself. She sat down on a couch, pulled her phone out of her purse, and called Joon-Ho. He answered on the first ring.

"Boy, you must really be bored," she said.

"You've got no idea," he said. "I'm starting to get stir-crazy."

"Can you come down to the lobby?" she asked.

He paused for a moment. "Coach didn't say we could go down to the lobby."

"Did he say you couldn't?" she pressed.

Another pause. "I guess not. I'll be down in just a minute!"

She moved to another couch and sat watching the bank of elevators like a cat watching a mousehole. Finally an elevator door opened to reveal Joon-Ho behind it. He was wearing a track suit and trainers and looked totally out of place in the hotel's lobby, but she didn't care - she loved him, and she hadn't seen him in almost a week. It didn't matter what he was wearing.

After he kissed her hello, he said "I know I can't bring you up to my room - coach explicitly said no guests in the rooms."

"Can we go to the restaurant or coffee shop?" she asked.

He shook his head. "I'd better not - if coach found out I'd gone there, he might thing I'd eaten something the team dietician hadn't approved."

"And you're sure you couldn't sneak me up to your room?" she asked.

His head-shaking intensified. "No way. There's 20 guys on our wing, plus all the coaches and trainers and - we wouldn't make it ten feet before someone spotted you."

In the end, they ended up sitting on one of the couches behind a potted palm, talking quietly and occasionally kissing. Suddenly, one of Joon-Ho's teammates dashed around the corner and, spotting Joon-Ho, came straight over to them. 

"Joon-Ho!" he exclaimed. "Coach is looking for you. You missed your PT session this afternoon and he's tearing the place apart trying to find you."

"My PT's not until 4:30," Joon-Ho said.

"No, it was at 4. Now come on!" He grabbed Joon-Ho's hand and pulled him from the couch. 

Joon-Ho blew Rina a kiss as he was dragged away, saying "See you later babe, thanks for coming to visit!"

Rina sat quietly on the couch, trying to think if there was anything she could do to help Joon-Ho. She had just decided there wasn't when one of the concierges came over and asked if she needed something, his manner suggesting that she shouldn't be there.

"I've been visiting a guest of this hotel, but now I need to leave" she said calmly. "Can you call me a cab?"

"If Madame will accompany me," he said, his manner changing totally once he heard that not only did she have a valid reason for being there, but also she was about to leave. "Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter