Frozen Out

Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suyeon and Lucy were sitting in a booth at Caffe Pascucci, Suyeon drinking an Americano and Lucy drinking an iced cappuccino. They were close enough to the Japanese jazz quintet that the music would keep people from eavesdropping on them, biut not so close that they had to shout over the music to be heard.

"So," Lucy said, "you've told two of our members, with no problems so far."

Suyeon nodded. "Yeah, but I'm kind of worried about some of the rest."

"What do you mean?" Lucy asked. "I thought you said Elly and Doyeon would be the big problems."

"Elly Doyeon had the potential to be big problems," Suyeon said. "That doesn't mean the other would be totally non-problematic."

"Lua-" Lucy began.

Suyeon waved dismissively. "Lua will be no problem. She's totally LGBT-positive. But the others. . ."

"I thought you said the others would be easier," Lucy protested.

"They're potentially easier," Suyeon said, "but they're also potentially problems. "Rina should be okay, after the lessons in tolerance her unnies have given her, but there's always a chance that she's fallen back into old homophobic habits. And Sei. . . Sei should be the very last. She's likely to think that we've been playing with Hyun-Woo and Min-Kyu's hearts. We could really be stirring up problems for the guys. We've got to make sure they're ready to come out before we tell Sei."

"What about Yoojung?" Lucy asked.

Suyeon rolled her eyes and sighed. "I wish we didn't have to tell Yoojung."

"Why?" Lucy looked shocked. "I thought Yoojung would be okay with us?"

"Oh, she will be," Suyeon said. "It's just that Yoojung's having some other problems right now and I wish she didn't have to deal with the potential problems of our situation on top of her problems."

"What's going on with Yoojung?" Lucy asked.

Suyeon took a sip of her coffee, then sat there fidgeting with the handle of her cup. Finally, when Lucy thought she'd never speak, Suyeon said "I guess if I can't trust you, we shouldn't even be dating, so here goes. . . but you can't tell anyone you know this - not even Yoojung. Got it?"

Lucy mimed locking shut, then crossed her heart.

Suyeon laughed. "I guess that will have to do. Yoojung thinks she might be pregnant."

Lucy gasped, then sat in stunned silence for a minute. "Why doesn't she just take a pregnancy test and find out?"

"She tried taking a test," Suyeon said. "It didn't give her a valid result. She has to wait a week to take another test."

"Oh. . . poor Yoojung!" Lucy looked like she was on the verge of tears at her unnie's plight.

"But hey, you can't let on that you know," Suyeon said. "We just have to be ready to be there for her if she is pregnant."

Lucy nodded seriously. "Does Jun-Seo know?"

Suyeon nodded. "Yes. He's even offered to marry Yoojung, but she's not sure if she wants to be married to him, and if she does, she doesn't want it to happen like this. So they're both just waiting for her to get a valid test result."

"That must be so hard," Lucy said.

"That' s what she said!" Suyeon said, before collapsing into a fit of giggles.

Lucy stared at Suyeon in confusion for a moment, then started to laugh herself. Once she was able to talk again, Suyeon said "Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Besides, we needed something to lift our spirits."

Lucy reached over and hugged Suyeon. "At least we don't have to worry about getting each other pregnant," she whispered in Suyeon's ear, causing her to collapse with giggles again.

Yoojung sat on her bed, alternating between texting Jun-Seo and looking out the window. She saw a couple having a picnic in the park next door and almost burst into tears. 

"I wish you were here," she texted.

After a couple of minutes, Jun-Seo's reply came back. "I wish I could be, too," it said. Jun-Seo was in Busan on a team-building trip with his company. 

"Has Mr. Kang started drinking yet? That should be good for a laugh," she texted back.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter