Chap 11: day 5

Let me be your shield

"welcome back everyone. after discussing with the other judges. we have decided that MoonbyulE and Choi Min Su will recieve a death penalty as they have poison Lee Somin to death. Choi Soo Bin will receive a life sentence for being a accomplice. with that I'll end my trial." Judge Park Hae Joon hammer his wooden gavel three times.

MoonbyulE drop to the ground on her knees and broke down into tears. she desperately begs the judges to give her mercy. Choi Min Su and Choi Soo Bin look at her helplessly.

"I'm afraid I can't MoonbyulE. it's the law and you have escape the punishment 2 years ago and yet you didn't turn over a new leaf." Park Hae Joon stood up from his chair to leave the room with the other judges following him from behind.

MoonbyulE than turn her head to Solar and Soo Yeon. 

"Soo Yeon I'm sorry. help omma. honey please." MoonbyulE places both her palms together and rubs against one another while apologizing to them. 

Solar looks away from MoonbyulE to wipe her tears while Soo Yeon looks down at the floor trying to hold back her tears. Lee Dahee who was observing them silently ordered the Civil Police to take the criminals away. The Civil Police obliged. Wheein thanked Lawyer Kang who was helping defending the victims during the trial while the rest of the team  guided the victims and witness to the waiting room to do some final admins before leaving. 

Wheein approaches Solar and Soo Yeon who was looking at MoonbyulE being dragged out from the court room. 

"unnie. it's time to go." Wheein told in a soft tone.

Solar nodded weakly and hold Soo Yeon hands. The three of them enters the waiting room where the other Detectives were. 

"Great Job team especially wheein. today, go home and rest. in 3 days time, there will be a promotion day" Lee Dahee announced. 

"congratulations Solar shi. you are finally free." Lee Dahee smiles to solar before leaving the room. 

the rest of the team thanked one another for their hard work. Wheein looks over at Solar and Soo Yeon. she felt happy that she serve justice for them but at the same time she felt that it's not the time to congratulate them yet as MoonbyulE is someone who they relied on for many years especially solar.

"Wheein ah. I got a date now. you can go ahead without me." Hyejin told Wheein.

"do you need me to drop you off?." Wheein asked Hyejin as her eyes is still on Solar and Soo Yeon. 

"no. loco oppa is picking me up from here. I have to go now. He is waiting for me right now." Hyejin replied wheein and rushes off to her date. 

"wheein Sunbae. we are leaving now. thank you for your hard work Sunbae. without you, we won't be able to win this." Soo Jung told wheein. 

"no. we all did it. you can leave now. you have work hard too!." Wheein replied and smiles at her. 

Soo Jung and Sung Hoon thanked Wheein again before leaving. the waiting room is left with her, solar and Soo Yeon who is sleeping soundly on her mother's shoulder. 

"Unnie. let me carry her. you must be tired." Wheein whispered to solar. 

"it's ok wheein ah. I can handle her. can you help me carry my things instead?." Solar asked while rubbing Soo Yeon back.

wheein nods her head and took solar's bag and carries it on her shoulder. Solar carefully enters the car, trying her best not to wake her daughter up. Wheein closes the door for her and starts her engine. From time to time, wheein would check on them through the rear view mirror.

Soon, they arrived home, Solar exits the bedroom after putting Soo Yeon to sleep. wheein told solar to sit down on the couch while she brings their tea. 

the atmosphere was silent except of the sound of them sipping their tea.

"unnie...are you shocked about the punishment she recieved?." wheein decided to start a conversation.

"a little..." Solar replied. 

"you do know that if she change her behavior in prison, they might change her death penalty to life sentence instead." wheein told solar. 

"hmm...it doesn't matter. i don't want me and Soo Yeon to associate with her anymore." solar replied while laying her back against the sofa and closes her eyes.

wheein wanted to tell her one last thing but decided not to as she didn't want Solar to feel overwhelm. solar opens one to her eyes and saw wheein staring at the wall blankly. 

"wheein ah. I'm really ok... I'm really fine!." Solar sit up to tell Wheein.

"are you sure?." wheein asked.

"yes I am wheein ah." Solar replied and rest her head on Wheein's shoulder.

"thank you wheein ah. for helping me...I finally can live happily and peacefully with Soo Yeon now." solar told her sleepily. 

"no. unnie you did the most part. thank you for holding on for so long and I'm sorry I didn't reach out to you earlier." Wheein replied softly. 

"no...wheein ah....you..." solar couldn't finish her sentence as she fall asleep. 

wheein finishes her cup of tea before carrying Solar in a bridal style to the bedroom. she places the blanket over Solar and Soo Yeon. She switches off the night lamb before laying beside Soo Yeon.

Wheein looks over at Solar. 'unnie I know you are not fine. I know you are still shock and you still have feelings for her. it's ok. I will wait for you no matter how long it takes.' wheein thought to herself sleepily. 
________________________________________
[Next Morning]

wheein woke up earlier than the rest. she exits the bedroom carefully and make herself a cup of coffee. 

"Ya. I told you not to drink coffee anymore." Hyejin enters the kitchen and took the cup of coffee her best friend. 

"what time did you came back home yesterday? did the date went well?." Wheein tries to distract Hyejin to try and take her cup of coffee from her.

"around 1am. the date went well and we talk alot." Hyejin answers excitedly.

wheein finds the opportunity to retrieve her coffee back but failed to do so as Hyejin caught her. 

"Hyejin I really need my cup of coffee." wheein whines at Hyejin.

"no no no. I'll pour you some orange juice." Hyejin reaches out for the carton of orange juice from the fridge. 

wheein got not choice but to listen to her as she don't want any arguements early in the morning.

"what should I cook for breakfast?." Hyejin scans the items in the fridge. 

"I should go out and buy breakfast. Solar unnie is still sleeping. I don't want to wake her up." wheein replied after gulping down her orange juice. 

"what are you gonna buy?." Hyejin asked.

"what do you want?." Wheein asked

"anything." Hyejin replied.

"how about the breakfast set from the nearby cafe?." Wheein asked while searching for breakfast menus on her phone. 

"nah." Hyejin replied.

"than what do you want!?." Wheein asked Hyejin frustratedly.

"Ya! are you really gonna fight with me just because of breakfast." Hyejin replied to Wheein angrily.

wheein was about to say something but decided not to as she saw Soo Yeon standing behind the kitchen counter.

"Unnies...what you fighting about?" Soo Yeon asked as she rubs her eyes.

"no. we are not fighting. we are discussing what to buy for breakfast?" Wheein elbow Hyejin to get her to agree with her. 

"yes...we are not fighting. what do you want to eat Soo Yeon ah?." Hyejin asked Soo Yeon.

"maybe the cafe breakfast set?." Soo Yeon replied Hyejin with a smile.

"great choice Soo Yeon ah!." Hyejin raise her hands to high five Soo Yeon

Soo Yeon high five Hyejin. Wheein gave Hyejin the 'unbelievable look'. Hyejin rolls her eyes and sticks her tongue out at Wheein.

"I want to tag along to get breakfast."Soo Yeon asked Hyejin.

"wheein unnie is going out to buy. you can tag along with her." Hyejin told Soo Yeon and went into Wheein's bedroom carefully. 

a few seconds later, she came back with Soo Yeon's jacket and put it on for her. Wheein holds Soo Yeon's hands and they greeted Hyejin goodbye before heading out to buy breakfast. 

Wheein and Soo Yeon were swinging their hands excitedly as they were walking. 

"Soo Yeon ah...are you still sad about your MoonbyulE Omma?." Wheein asked Soo Yeon cautiously.

"she not my Omma anymore. I was not ok yesterday as I felt bad. but as I think about it now. I shouldn't felt bad at all for her. I'm thankful for the 8 years she raise me but it nothing compared to the last 2 years of hell she gave me and solar Omma." Soo Yeon replied softly

wheein nodded her head as she doesn't know what to reply. after a few minutes, they arrived at the cafe. Wheein told Soo Yeon to choose the breakfast set and they wait for their turn to get their food. in the meanwhile, Wheein went to order a hot coco for Soo Yeon as the weather has been cold lately.

"we are back!." Soo Yeon told Hyejin and took off her shoes

"let me help you!." Hyejin helps to carry the food.

Soo Yeon excuse herself to use the bathroom while wheein enters the her bedroom to wake solar up for breakfast. 

"unnie...unnie...it's time for breakfast." Wheein called out to Solar and shakes her gently. 

Solar opens her eyes slowly and sit up. she checks the time on her phone. 

"wheein ah I'm sorry. I will go cook breakfast now." Solar apologizes and sprang up from her bed. 

wheein grabs solar's wrist and pulls Solar towards her causing her to fall ontop of her lap.

"unnie. it's fine. I have bought breakfast. I didn't want to wake you up since you were tired from yesterday trial." Wheein told Solar.

"you should wake me up...you let me stay over here for free. I have to repay you." Solar replied wheein groggily. 

"Unnie...not this again...anyway how is your sleep?." Wheein changes the topic.

"it's been great. its feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders." Solar replied with a smile.

"I'm glad to hear that." Wheein wipes off the eye boogers from Solar's eyes and stares at her deeply.

"wheein ah we have to eat breakfast now. they are waiting for us." Solar blushes.

wheein nodded and the both of them sat on the dining table where Hyejin and Soo Yeon were waiting for them patiently. After they have ate, Wheein decided to homeschool Soo Yeon instead as Hyejin took solar with her to hangout.

"argh unnie. I give up. maths is so hard " Soo Yeon puts down her pen on the table and lay on the ground.

"let's take a break than." wheein told Soo Yeon and lay beside her. 

"Soo Yeon ah...what do you want to be when you grow up?." wheein asked and  turns her head to face her.

"hmmm. I wanted to be an artist as I love drawing and painting but....after seeing unnie...I wanna be a detective." Soo Yeon replied.

"I love drawing too. I always score well for art. Why a detective? you should go for something you are passionate about." wheein told Soo Yeon. 

"I want to help more people that have gone through similar story like me and Omma...since unnie is good at art, why didn't you work as an artist?" Soo Yeon asked curiously.

"same reason as yours." wheein replied and smiles at her sadly.

"what's unnie story?." Soo Yeon asked.

"unnie is just like you. unnie doesn't have a good relationship with my father because of the things he did towards me and my mother. right now it's all good. unnie have a new father now who I will forever consider him as my biological father. he is a police officer too in Jeonju. I became a detective because of him." Wheein told Soo Yeon her story.

"Since Soo Yeon is interested in becoming a police, I can show you my workplace tomorrow.do you want to go?" Wheein added.

"yes. I want to go!... but unnie can you teach me art as well?. i only have been studying english,math,korean and science." Soo Yeon replied to wheein excitedly.

"of course!. let's buy some art supplies tomorrow after visiting unnie's workplace." wheein replied with a smile.

Soo Yeon scream excitedly as she can't wait for tomorrow. They continue to talk that they completely forgot about the math problem earlier on.  their eyelids became heavier as they were talking and soon they fell asleep on the floor.