Chap 10: day 4

Let me be your shield

Wheein's phone vibrates her awake. she reaches for it and holds the bright screen to her squinting eyes. It's 8 AM she received a message from Hyejin 10 minutes ago that she went out with Soo Yeon to buy breakfast. She texts her back to acknowledge the message and sets the alarm for 30 minutes later. 

 

It's 8:30 AM, Wheein's phone vibrates again. she swipes up her phone screen to turn off the alarm. Solar makes a sound. she slides up next to Wheein and tucks her chin into Wheein's shoulder. Wheein turns herself to the other side to face Solar.

 

"How's your sleep?" Solar asked Wheein while slowly opening her eyes.

 

"Never been better. It's so nice waking up next to you." Wheein replied and cuddle closer to Solar

 

Solar smiled at Wheein's answer.

 

"Unnie, what are we?." Wheein asked solar while she stares at solar.

 

Solar was taken back by Wheein's question as she did not what to reply to her. She looks at her and takes a couple of minutes to think.

 

"To be honest, I am not very sure either." Solar answers Wheein and turned her head to stare at the ceiling.

 

"Unnie. I never felt like this before. Maybe because I never had a relationship before. Unnie you are the first person that makes me feel things. Whenever I look at you, my heart beats faster and I will have butterflies in my stomach. There are times when I'm at work, my mind is only filled with you and Soo Yeon. At first, I thought it was because I am reinvestigating your case but it's more than that. I want to protect you. I want to protect Soo Yeon. I want to be with the both of for the rest of my life. But...I feel guilty of having these feelings towards you because you are still married. I just feel like I am having a relationship with someone's wife." Wheein told Solar her real feelings towards her.

 

"I feel the same way too. It's been a long time since I received love from someone. Ever since MoonbyulE starts to come home drunk every night and abuse me and Soo Yeon. My love for her slowly disappears. I thought the next day, I would receive an apology and an explanation from her. but I did not. I thought I was just being sensitive. I thought if I paid more attention to her, my love for her will return but it did not. She starts to get worse. She slept with many different girls. Soo Yeon came home from school one day and told me that she saw her very own mother making out with another girl. If you feel guilty, don't be, because my marriage is already broken. It was as if me and her have been divorced a long time ago. I gave my everything to her but she decided to throw it away. If it wasn't for Soo Yeon, I would have killed myself" Solar replied her while trying not to cry.

 

"My daughter is my only hope left. She gave me the strength to carry on with my life. She the only person that gave me love when I needed it. She would cover me to take the beatings. She would tell me she loves me every single day. she would tell me that everything is gonna be alright. It was as if she the adult in the family. When I met you, I was sceptical of you. I did not want to open up to you about my story when you first came to my house to question me. Over time, I start to develop feelings for you and I try to shake it off but I can't. I am afraid if I get into another relationship, the same thing will happen. if I would answer your question, my answer will be I don't know but I have feelings for you too." Solar added.

 

Wheein understands Solar as she has experienced a similar situation whereby her ex-dad gave her mum a hard time. She glad that her mum remarried to a police officer in Jeonju which makes her look up to him.

She thought to herself she wants to be like her stepdad who will never fail to spend quality time with her family and serve justice to the citizens. 

 

"Unnie, Since we are still unsure about our relationship with one another. Give me a chance to let me into your life." Wheein told Solar sincerely.

 

Solar gave her a nod as she wants wheein to prove to her that she is different from MoonbyulE. Wheein wipes Solar's tears with her hands.

 

All of a sudden, Solar and Wheein heard the sound of the door opening. They immediately pull away from each other and head to the living room to greet them. Soo Yeon ran to her mother and kissed her on the cheek and proceed to do the same thing to Wheein. 

 

"What did you buy?" Wheein asked Hyejin while carrying Soo Yeon in her arms.

 

"I bought breakfast sets at a cafe nearby since we slept pretty late last night. I know Solar Unnie will be too tired to make breakfast as she stayed up late." Hyejin replies to wheein.

 

they began to eat while explaining to Solar and Soo Yeon about the trial that is happening tomorrow. It's 10 AM. Wheein decided to teach Soo Yeon math as she still has plenty of time left before she goes to work. From time to time, Wheein will steal a glance at Solar who is teaching Hyejin to cook her infamous bento box. Soo Yeon notices Wheein looking at her mother while smiling like a fool.

 

"Wheein unnie?" Soo Yeon called out to wheein to get her attention.

 

"Yes, Soo Yeon?" Wheein quickly turns her head to answer Soo Yeon.

 

"After tomorrow, I will not see MoonbyulE Omma anymore right?." Soo Yeon asked wheein curiously.

 

Wheein nodded her head.

 

"will you be sad?" Wheein questions Soo Yeon carefully.

 

"no. I am not sad at all. I am happy because Omma will not be hurt anymore." Soo Yeon smiles at wheein.

 

"that means Omma will be single right?" Soo Yeon asked Wheein.

 

"I am not sure about that...why?" Wheein replied nervously.

 

"Unnie do you like my omma?" Soo Yeon asked Wheein.

 

Wheein did not reply to Soo Yeon as she was afraid that Soo Yeon will not accept her answer. 

 

"It's ok Unnie, I know you like my Omma. I maybe 10 years-old but that doesn't mean I don't know that you and Omma have been dropping hints to one another recently." Soo Yeon looks at wheein playfully.

 

Wheein's face flushes red at Soo Yeon response and Soo Yeon chuckle at Wheein reaction.

 

"Unnie, if you like my Omma, I don't mind..." Soo Yeon stops her sentence and looks at wheein with deadly eyes.

 

"But you better treat her properly, if not..." Soo Yeon stops her sentence once again and show her furious face at wheein while placing both of her clenched fists on her waist.

 

Wheein finds her cute due to her chubby cheeks rather than intimidating. 

 

"yes, your majesty. I will promise you that I will treat her and you nicely." Wheein bowed at her.

 

Soo Yeon laughs at Wheein's sense of humour and decided to play along with her. Wheein pinched those chubby cheeks and told her to continue with her work. 

 

It's Noon, Wheein and Hyejin waves goodbye at Solar and Soo Yeon as they head back to work. They waited for Lee Dahee to pick them up as Wheein left her car at the police station last night.

 

"How's your sleep with Solar Unnie?" Hyejin smirked at wheein as she is getting ready to best friend.

 

Wheein looks at her with her firm look, trying to bite her lips from curving up.

 

"My best friend is seriously whipped. you should date her before she likes someone else." Hyejin continues to tease wheein.

 

"Ya! she only likes me and if she does like someone else, I'm gonna win her heart no matter what." Wheein suddenly gets defensive.

 

"Woah chill wheein ah, I was just joking." Hyejin looks at her in disbelief.

 

All of a sudden, they heard a honk. Lee Dahee rolled down her windows and told them to get into the car. They enter the car to Sung Hoon and Soo Jung greeting them enthusiastically. 

 

They walk into their office with light steps and sat down on their chairs waiting for their sunbae to explain their tasks.

 

"alright great job everyone, let's finish finalizing our reports for tomorrow trial. we have 5 lawyers. 1 for Solar and Soo Yeon. 1 lawyer for Choi Min Su's Wife and the other 3 is for the three other witnesses. Let's get this done quickly so that you all are well rested for tomorrow." Lee Dahee told their tasks joyfully.

 

The team nodded their heads and started with their work in a good mood. while she was doing her work, she looks up to look at her teammates. She felt thankful to have them as her team but at the same time, she felt sorry for them as she rarely compliments them. She stares at them for a long time, thinking about how she can show her appreciation towards her team. Hyejin noticed and taps the table with her pen to get Wheein Attention.

 

"Wheein ah, what's wrong?" Hyejin asked wheein.

 

"nothing. just hungry." Wheein lied.

 

"I was about to ask you what do you want to eat for lunch?." Hyejin grabs her phone from her desk to search for restaurants.

 

"Anything, you can order whatever you like, ask the maknaes as well. I will pay." Wheein smiles at Hyejin.

 

Hyejin jumps in joy and told her Hoobaes the good news. Sung Hoon and Soo Jung thanked wheein and went to Hyejin to see the menus. all of a sudden, Lee Dahee called Wheein to enter her office.

 

"Firstly, I would like to apologise for hurting your pride when you first requested to reopen this case. secondly, I know I have been harsh on you ever since you failed some cases but I can tell that you have improved a lot. even I as a Sunbae was impressed by your skills. So great job. Thirdly, here a gift from me to you." Lee Dahee gave Wheein her gift.

 

Wheein opens her gift and saw a pair of new sneakers. Wheein was about to reject it but was interrupted by her Sunbae.

 

"I have been noticing you have been wearing those shoe for 2 years now. so I bought you a new pair of shoe, please take care of it since it expensive." Lee Dahee added.

 

Wheein was touched as this is the first time, she received a gift and such high compliments from a Sunbae. Lee Dahee notices Wheein's teary eyes.

 

"Alright, you can go now. stop crying." Lee Dahee maintains her professionalism and gave wheein tissues.

 

Wheein thanked her and bowed to her multiple times before the office. Wheein decided not to wear it as she still thinks that her shoe is still in good condition. She kept her gift in her bag and continues to do her work. After 3 hours, they finally completed their task and pack their stuff to go home.

 

While driving home, Wheein noticed Hyejin smiling and giggling at her phone 

 

"Who are you texting?" Wheein asked Hyejin.

 

"ermm...nothing." Hyejin turned her body and rest her head on the window to prevent wheein from peeking at her phone.

 

Wheein was fast enough to see who her best friend texting due to the reflection of the window. she saw a picture of someone familiar.

 

"HA!. it's that the convenient boy you flirted with when we went to interview solar Unnie in the convenient store." Wheein smirked at Hyejin.

 

"How did you know?!" Hyejin's eyes widen.

 

"I am a detective for a reason." Wheein winks at her.

 

Hyejin rolls her eyes before continue using her phone. All of a sudden, Wheein parks the car at the convenience store instead of heading back home.

 

"Wheein I swear to god if this is one of your tricks to tease me and him... I will.." Hyejin was about to complete her sentence until Wheein interrupted her.

 

"what are you talking about?. I want to buy Soo Yeon favourite snacks." Wheein told Hyejin while unbuckling her seatbelt.

 

Hyejin did not reply to her as she was embarrassed by what she said earlier on.

 

"Are you going in or not? if not, you can just stay in the car?" Wheein asked Hyejin before closing the door

 

"coming!." Hyejin quickly hops off the car.

 

Wheein immediately went to the snack section. She takes the honey butter chips and placed it in her basket. Next, she went to the candy section and picked out two Hershey milk chocolate bar for Solar as she notices Solar has a sweet tooth so she decided to buy it for her. As she walks to the counter to pay her stuff, she saw Hyejin and his 'boyfriend' flirting with one another. Wheein chuckled looking at them. She made her way to the counter and pretended to cough to get their attention. Hyejin and the cashier were startled by Wheein's presence. The cashier apologized to wheein and immediately scans the items.

 

"that will be $4.50," The Cashier told wheein as he clears his throat.

 

Wheein gave him her credit card while Hyejin quickly walks to the drink section to avoid the awkward situation earlier on. Wheein reads the Cashier nametag before starting a conversation with him.

 

"Loco shi, do you like my best friend?" Wheein asked Loco after she confirms that Hyejin is far away from her.

 

"Yes I do," Loco replied wheein while avoiding eye contact with her.

 

"Treat her well!. the day after tomorrow, me and her will be having our 3 months off from work. so you got 3 months to take her on dates before she gets busy again" Wheein told Loco 

 

"Thank you wheein shi. I will not disappoint you. I'll promise I will treat her well." Loco bowed at her and gave her the receipts. 

 

Wheein thanked him and exits the store with Hyejin following her from behind.

 

"What do you guys talk about?... did you say anything dumb?." Hyejin asked Wheein nervously.

 

"Don't worry, I did not say anything dumb about you to him. Besides he is a nice guy. you should treat him well too!." Wheein replied and placed the snack at the backseat before starting her engine.

 

Hyejin was sceptical about her answer but decided to shrug it off. Soon they arrived at their apartment. Hyejin told Wheein to go ahead first as she received a phone call from Loco. Wheein nodded her head and enter her apartment. While she was putting her shoe on the shoe rack, Soo Yeon ran to her and jump into Wheein's arms. Wheein managed to catch her and hugs her tightly.

 

"You are finally home!." Soo Yeon pokes Wheein dimple.

 

"Do you miss me while I was at work?" Wheein asked Soo Yeon in a soft tone.

 

"Yes, I was bored. I want to spend more time with Unnie because Unnie is fun to play with and talk to." Soo Yeon replied to wheein while smiling at her. 

 

"guess what? Unnie will have 3 months off from work after tomorrow. That means I will be spending more time with you?" Wheein told the good news to Soo Yeon

 

"Really?! YAY!." Soo Yeon screamed in joy.

 

"I almost forgot. I bought your favourite snack!." Wheein took the honey butter chips from the black plastic bag.

 

"Thank you Unnie!" Soo Yeon thanked wheein and kissed her on the cheek. 

 

Wheein chuckled and helped her open her snacks before putting her down. Soo Yeon went to the living room and sat down on the couch to continue watching the television while enjoying her snack. Wheein walks over to the kitchen and saw Solar cooking dinner. She quietly stands behind her and rests her chin on Solar's shoulder while wrapping her arms around Solar's waist.

 

"you scare me wheein ah." Solar was startled by Wheein's touch.

 

"what are you cooking Unnie?" Wheein whispered into Solar's ear.

 

Solar suddenly felt warm, her face and ear flush red. Wheein notices it and finds it adorable.

 

"Cooking your favourite chicken feet and for Hyejin is bulgogi," Solar replied wheein while continue to cook.

 

"Unnie you don't have to do that!. we can just order food." Wheein told Solar while slowly loosen her arms.

 

"No!. it's unhealthy and besides, I told you before that I love cooking and you have been working hard to solve my case even though you can drop it. You let us stay at your house where you don't have to. This is the least I can do for you two." Solar turns around to reply to wheein.

 

Wheein's gaze met with solar, holding solar's gaze for more than 10 seconds with a smile on her face. she was memorizing her face as if she may forget if Solar look away. Solar's heart was racing when she saw wheein staring into her eyes deeply. 

 

Hyejin enters the apartment with good news. She was about to walk to the kitchen to tell her best friend about it but was stopped by Soo Yeon. Soo Yeon dragged Hyejin to the living room quietly and told her to sit next to her. Hyejin obeyed her while giving her a confused look.

 

"Hyejin Unnie, you have to be quiet because Wheein Unnie and omma is having their moments."Soo Yeon whispered to Hyejin while pointing at them.

 

Hyejin looks at the direction Soo Yeon is pointing. She smiles at them. Soo Yeon offers her snack to Hyejin and munch on it as quietly as possible. 

 

"But Soo Yeon, aren't you a little too young to watch them," Hyejin whispered to Soo Yeon while grabbing a couple more of honey butter chips.

 

"shhh Unnie, they about to kiss." Soo Yeon quickly put a finger on Hyejin's lips to avoid answering her question.

 

Hyejin focuses her attention back on Solar and Wheein. Suddenly, Hyejin accidentally ate her chips a little too loud causing them to pull away from each other. Solar continue her cooking while feeling flustered and Wheein turned around to see what's going on.

 

"Unnie! I told you to be quiet!." Soo Yeon whines at Hyejin

 

"Sorry... I was too engrossed. She's coming, pretend we are talking to each other." Hyejin whispered to Soo Yeon.

 

Soo Yeon nodded her head and play along with her. Wheein saw their eyes trembling with fear as she approaches them. She sat down next to Soo Yeon and tickles her. Soo Yeon tries to endure it but she couldn't. She burst into laugher. Soo Yeon begs Wheein to stop and wheein listened to her. 

 

"How's your phone call with your boyfriend?" Wheein begins to tease Hyejin.

 

"Oooo Hyejin Unnie has a boyfriend?" Soo Yeon joins in the conversation.

 

"he is not my boyfriend yet, he called me just now to take me out for a date the day after tomorrow," Hyejin told Wheein while thinking about it.

 

"Woah Ahn Hyejin." Wheein continues to best friend.

 

"Wheein Unnie, why did you not asked my omma out for a date yet." Soo Yeon asked wheein innocently.

 

Wheein was speechless at Soo Yeon Question. Hyejin giggle at Wheein reaction and asked Soo Yeon for a high-five. Soo Yeon was waiting for her answer but was interrupted by her omma calling out to them that dinner is ready. Wheein takes the opportunity to avoid her question and sprang up from the couch and walks to the kitchen. Soo Yeon pouted as she was a little disappointed at wheein response.

 

"I am sure Wheein Unnie will take your omma for a date. Wheein Unnie is just shy" Hyejin smiles at Soo Yeon to reassure her. 

 

Hyejin and Soo Yeon sat next to wheein waiting for their food to arrive. Hyejin eyes widen as she see her favourite meat on the table. The three of them thanked solar for the food and begin to devour.

 

"Wah Unnie, are you sure you made this. It tastes so good. It tastes even better than some 5-star restaurant out there." Hyejin compliments Solar while showing a thumbs up.

 

"aye no. I'm just a decent cook." Solar denies the high compliments she received from Hyejin.

 

"Omma is the best chef in the whole wide world." Soo Yeon put down her chopsticks to express how good her Omma's cooking is by spreading her arms wide apart.

 

Hyejin and wheein immediately nodded their heads to agree with Soo Yeon statement.

 

"She could even set up her own business." Wheein joins in to compliment Solar.

 

Solar trying hard not to smile as she was embarrassed by their compliments. 

 

After eating their dinner, Hyejin received a phone call from Loco again. she quickly went to her room and lock her door to pick up the call.

 

"Hyejin seems happy," Solar told wheein while washing the dish.

 

"yea. she having a date with her soon to be boyfriend." Wheein replied Solar while wiping the table.

 

Wheein wanted to ask solar for a date but she is not sure when the right time. she envies her best friend at the moment.

 

"wheein ah, I need to talk to you." Solar turns off the tap after finishing washing the dishes.

 

"Sure Unnie what do you want to talk about?" Wheein replied.

"not here, I need to talk to you privately," Solar told wheein in a serious tone.

wheein nodded and told her to talk in her room instead.

 

"Firstly, thank you for providing me and Soo Yeon a place to stay but I can't stay here any longer because this is not my house. I don't want to interrupt your privacy as well as Hyejin's privacy. I'm planning to return home after the trial tomorrow. Secondly, I have to return to find a job to earn income to raise Soo Yeon properly. Thirdly, I need to prepare the divorce documents as soon as the trial is over." Solar told wheein in a soft tone.

 

"It's ok unnie. you can stay here for as long as you want because Hyejin and I don't mind at all letting you and Soo Yeon stay over. We love your company here." Wheein reassures solar that they are not a burden towards them.

 

"Unnie? What job are you looking for?" Wheein asked Solar while playing with Solar's hands

 

"hmmm, anything. as long as I get paid." Solar answer Wheein.

 

"Unnie, why don't you work as a chef?" Wheein asked Solar.

 

"I would love to but I need to have a diploma in culinary arts. I tried applying before but they rejected me." Solar told wheein while trying not to be sad.

 

wheein wanted to smack herself for asking a stupid question.

 

"Unnie, I will help you find a job related to a chef. It's better to work in a job that you are committed to. I will also help you with the divorce documents." Wheein suggests to Solar.

 

Solar smiles at wheein. She felt so grateful towards wheein who have been always by her side. She looks at wheein glistening eyes. She finds it comforting just by looking at it. she never felt so much love before. not even her own parents neither her soon to be ex-wife. However she still felt scared that wheein will turn into MoonbyulE.

 

"But wheein ah you still have to ask Hyejin for her opinion," Solar told Wheein.

 

"If she said yes, can you stay here a little longer? I want to make sure everything goes smoothly. I don't want anything to happen to you and Soo Yeon" Wheein tries convinced Solar.

 

Solar nodded her head. Wheein smiles at her while holding Solar's hands. her gaze lands on the bruise on Solar's arms. She felt relief after seeing it healing slowly. All of a sudden, Soo Yeon came into the room feeling sleepy.

 

"Omma, I want to go to bed." Soo Yeon covers to yawn. 

 

"Let's wash up first before going to bed." Solar holds Soo Yeon hands and walk her to the bathroom.

 

Wheein checks her time. It's 9 AM. She went to check on Hyejin.

 

"Hyejin ah. Can I come in?" Wheein asked permission from Hyejin to enter her room.

 

Hyejin unlocks the door for wheein to enter.

 

"What's up?" Hyejin asked wheein after closing the door.

 

"Can Solar and Soo Yeon stay here a little longer till everything is stable for them," Wheein asked Hyejin.

 

"of course they can stay. They can stay here as long as they want. I enjoy their company. I'm bored seeing your face 24/7. " Hyejin teased wheein.

 

"really! thank you. Why did Loco call you again?" Wheein asked Hyejin curiously.

 

"He told me he can't wait to take me out on a date. He says he wants to do it tomorrow but I told him that maybe I can't because we might have a celebration tomorrow after the trial." Hyejin told wheein and pouts.

 

"Who says you can't? we can always celebrate it during our promotion day." Wheein told Hyejin and assure her that it's absolutely fine to go ahead with her date.

 

"Thank you wheein ah, I'm going to message him right now." Hyejin grabs her phone from her bed.

 

"Should I ask Solar out for a date? I have never done this before. I want to show her that I love her but I don't know when is the right time?" Wheein asked Hyejin for her opinion.

 

"you should. but first, makes sure everything is settled. Don't worry wheein ah, Solar only have you in her heart. I can tell the way she looks at you just now." Hyejin told wheein and puts her phone down after texting Loco.

 

Wheein laid down on Hyejin bed and stares at the light above her

 

"I can't wait to spend my life with her and Soo Yeon." Wheein smiles while thinking about her future.

 

"ya, you are really weird. you rejected a lot of girls before but not Solar Unnie." Hyejin told Wheein and lays next to her.

 

"Solar Unnie is different than any of the girls that confessed me. Solar Unnie is way more prettier, kind and most importantly, she has those chubby cheeks that no other girls have. Have you seen her cute little dimples at the side of her cheeks whenever she smiles? I have to resist myself from kissing her cheeks and Soo Yeon too. She a replica of Solar Unnie." Wheein told Hyejin while chuckling at her response.

 

"Aigoo, Jung Wheein. like I always said to you. WHIPPED." Hyejin .

 

Wheein sticks her tongue out before continue staring at the ceiling. Solar who was hearing the conversation all along felt the sincerity in wheein voice. 

Solar you have to move on from the past. Don't make wheein wait for you any longer.  

 

Solar saw wheein approaching the door. she heads to the kitchen to pretend to do some cleaning.

 

"Unnie? You're not asleep yet?." Wheein asked Solar.

 

"I was about to" Solar stutter with her words.

 

"you should sleep Unnie, the trial starts at 10 am tomorrow," Wheein told Solar.

 

"ah right. let's go." Solar put her arm around Wheein's arm.

 

Wheein grabs her arm to hold her hand and interlocked their fingers. They carefully open the door and laid next to Soo Yeon. Wheein pulled them closer to her and wrapped her arms around them. Soon they began to fall asleep.