Chap 1: familiar faces

Let me be your shield

Wheein was startled by the sound of her alarm clock causing her to sprang up from her bed. she rubs her eyes to check the time. it's 08:00AM. she turn off her alarm and drag her feet to the kitchen. she make herself a cup of black coffee with no sweeteners at all. she never really like coffee till last year when she promoted to a detective chief squad specialize in brutal crimes where she would spend sleepless nights solving cases after cases. 

Today is her off day from work. she decided to take it slow today and spend some alone time before work tomorrow. After her morning coffee, she changed into her workout clothes to go for a run. she plugged her earpiece into her phone and begin to jog slowly to warm-up. As she warm-up, she saw a little girl sitting on a bench alone looking sad. she jog towards her and sat down beside her. not too close to her as she don't want to make her feel uncomfortable. 

"what is your name?." wheein starts the conversation. 

"Kim So Yeon." the little girl replied to her with no emotions. 

"pretty name!. I'm Jung wheein." wheein introduced herself as well. 

"your name sound familiar and you look familiar too." the little girl start to show interest in wheein. 

"really?. I'm not a celebrity though." wheein joked with her. So yeon didn't show any reaction at all to wheein jokes "maybe your mistaken for someone else...By the way why are you alone.?" wheein quickly change the topic to avoid feeling more embarrassed. 

"I sneak out from home with my mum's money to buy my favourite honey butter chips. because she never let me buy it." so yeon replied with pout. 

wheein giggle at her cute response but at the same time feeling worried at her response. "you shouldn't be sneaking out. you way too young to do that. besides I'm sure your mum must have a reason for not buying your favourite chips. if you tell your mum the truth she will buy you some." wheein explained to her calmly. 

"I'm 10 years old by the way, I'm old enough." So yeon told her. 

"still you are way too young and it's not safe for you to be outside without your parents consent. I'm sure your mum is worried about you right now. how about we call your mum to tell you about your whereabouts and I'll buy you your chips. my treat!." wheein try to make an agreement with the little girl. 

The girl finally smiled and dialled her mum phone number in wheein phone. so yeon's mum picked up the call. wheein introduced herself that she an off duty officer.she inform her everything so yeon told her. she assure the mother that she would gladly send so yeon home. she told her police ID just in case if anything happens to so yeon, wheein will take full responsibility of her.

"let's go kiddo!, I have already explained to your mum." wheein took So Yeon hands and walk to the nearest convenient store. 

so yeon grab her favorite honey butter chip and a banana milk. she placed at the counter waiting patiently for wheein to pay. wheein hand the money to the cashier and waved goodbye to the cashier while wheein helps so yeon open her bag of chips. 

"thank you unnie!"so yeon thanked wheein. wheein heart melts when she called her unnie. 

"ah I almost forget,this is for you." So yeon give wheein her banana milk. 

"this is yours though." wheein rejects her offer. 

"no. I want to give it to you to thank you for buying my favorite chips." wheein felt touched by her action. Even though she don't drink banana milk. she accept it and poke the straw to drink. 

wheein make sure she holding onto so yeon hands tightly for safety. while walking, so yeon would share her chips with wheein and wheein would gladly eats it whenever she feeds her. 

once they have arrived, So yeon ran towards her mother who is patiently waiting for her daughter to return home. 
wheein walks towards her mother.

"I'm sorry if my daughter cause any inconvenience." the mother bowed 90 degree while avoiding eye contact with wheein. 

wheein panicked at the mother sudden action. she stops her from bowing and her gaze lands on the mother eyes. wheein was starstruck by her beauty but at the same time she recognized her face somewhere. 

"no it's ok. your daughter didn't cause me any inconvenience at all. she was well-behaved." wheein assure her with a smile. wheein wanted to asked her whether they have met before but couldn't do it as she doesn't want to make the situation even more awkward. 

"thank you wheein-nim " the mother thanked her again. 

"no problem. how should I address you?." wheein asked. 

"just call me solar." the mother replied. "I'm 28 years old." she added. 

wheein was shocked by her age because solar's face look younger than 28.

"I should be the one addressing you formally. not you." wheein replied bowing to her because she speak informally to her earlier on. 

"no no. just called me solar or solar unnie will do." solar replied while forming an x sign with her hands.

wheein observed her and her eyes lands on her arms. there were bruises on her arms. it doesn't look like a fall to her.

all of a sudden, a woman came towards solar and shouted at her face. 

"where were you?! where the money?! I need it right now!." the woman continues to shout.  

so yeon hides behind wheein, her eyes begins to swelled up with tears. wheein rubs her back,trying to comfort her while trying to break the fight. 

"who the hell are you?. why are you with my wife and daughter?." she shouted at wheein.wheein calmly explain her situation. the woman doesn't seem to care at all and enters the house in a zig zag manner. wheein knew all along that she was drunk by the way she walk and act.

solar told wheein to go. she grab her daughter that is hiding behind wheein without saying goodbye. Wheein watched them enter the house. for the first time in her life. she was so confused about the whole situation. she remembers she saw solar somewhere. she also feels like she recognize her wife as well due to her right scar on her eyebrow.

wheein feel uneasy and worry about the situation. she hesitate to leave but eventually leave after seeing solar waving to her goodbye,telling her to go from the window. wheein nodded her head and continue her run. 

During her run,she could not focus at all causing her to return home halfway.