Chap 2: Remember

Let me be your shield

wheein went to the bathroom to take a bath. she turn on the shower and let the cold water run on her. she stare at the bathroom wall while she is still figuring out the familiar faces she saw earlier on. 

"I'm pretty sure I saw them somewhere." wheein mumbled to herself. She slowly begins to feel frustrated that she can't recall at all. 

All of a sudden, in the middle of her thoughts, she was startled by several bangings and knockings on her bathroom door follow by someone shouting.

"YA JUNG WHEEIN!. WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THE TOILET. ITS BEEN 30 MINUTES. HURRY UP I NEED TO USE IT." 

"HOLD ON, LET ME WASH UP REAL QUICK." wheein trying to shout over to that person voice.

she quickly wash up,wrap herself with a towel and exits the bathroom.

"WHY DID YOU TOOK SO LONG. MY BLADDER CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE." her best friend, Ahn Hyejin,nags at her while running past wheein.

wheein laughed at her best friend also known as her best partner in her squad. She have known Hyejin ever since they work together for 5 years as a civil police in Seoul Yongsan Police Station. Soon they start being recognized by people due to them solving unsolved cases even though it's not their job to do so which leads them to who they are today.

Wheein change into her favourite oversize shirt and sweatpants. she heads to the kitchen and make herself a second cup coffee. When she was about to take a sip, Hyejin took it away from her and pour it away in the sink. 

"Why would you do that for?!." Wheein was confused at her best friend actions. 

"Too much coffee is not good for you." Hyejin replied while serving Wheein a glass of orange juice. "what are you thinking about?, you look like you're in deep thoughts." Hyejin added. 

Wheein explained what's on her mind in detail while Hyejin listen to her intently.

"Perhaps she your friend that you don't remember.?" Hyejin answered her while trying to figure it out in her mind. 

"No. i feel that you seen her before as well but I don't have the picture of her and her family to show you." Wheein scratches her head hoping Hyejin get her point and remembers.

"You said that she have a 10 year-old daughter, bruises on both arms, a scar on her lunatic wife's right eyebrow. sounds familiar to me. Perhaps is some unsolved case that we have came across but never get the opportunity to solve them?." Hyejin told wheein while she secretly took a sip of wheein orange juice. 

"YA!, I think you are right. let's go the office right now!." wheein sprang up from her chair when she suddenly vaguely remember a picture of solar in one of the unsolved cases.

"Firstly,why are you such in a hurry?.It's our off day can't we relax or something?  Secondly,we have to dig a whole pile of unsolved cases. it will take a long time unless she make a report. Thirdly,we also have to asked our senior detective, Lee Dahee, permission to access the case." Hyejin replied calmly while trying to be rational with wheein. 

wheein look at Hyejin as if she want to punch her in the face. Hyejin flinched at her best friend face and immediately avoiding eye contact with her.

"firstly,Yes it's our off day but this is urgent!. She will get beaten up by her crazy wife even more and I dont want the child to get hurt if the situation gets out of control. Secondly, if we don't dig the pile of unsolved cases now, it will take even a longer time . Thirdly, I will find a way to talk to Lee Dahee in some way. don't worry about that. please Hyejin ah!." wheein was about to cry when she desperately trying to convinced her best friend to agree with her.

"Arghhh fine. I'll do it for you. if we get dismiss,I'm seriously gonna kill you." Hyejin agreed after contemplating for awhile

________________________________________

Once they have arrived at the office, They knock on their senior detective room door and waited patiently for her to allow them to enter. 

"come in." Lee Dahee told them to enter. 

"why are you both here? it's your off day today." Lee Dahee questioned them. 

"Sunbae. Can we have your permission to solve an unsolved case that is not task to us?." wheein told her the reason with no hesitation while Hyejin stood there silently wanting to kill wheein if she lost her job today. 

"There you go again. you never learnt your lesson do you detective Wheein?. I love your enthusiasm but you and your team failed two previous unsolved cases the last time you you guys chose.Are you confident that you can handle another one?. Lee Dahee replied wheein hopelessly. 

it hurts wheein pride but she didn't want to back down yet.  

"wheein,let's just let go of this case." Hyejin whispered to her while elbowing her.

wheein ignored her best friend comments 

"Sunbae please give me one more chance to redeem myself. if I fail this time, you can fire me." wheein replied trying to hide her fear. 

Lee Dahee sigh, she look at wheein eyes. she can tell that her hoobae is super determine specifically in this case than the previous case. After giving a second thought. she gave it to her.

"fine, permission granted. solve this case within 2 weeks if not you and your team will be fire. do you understand me?" Lee Dahee gave wheein one last chance.

Wheein bow several 90 degrees to show her gratefulness. Hyejin follow what her best friend did and they leave the room feeling relief.