FIVE. CLUMSY GUY

I'll Be Waiting For You

Yerin saw a man carrying a knife who's walking in her direction and glaring at her. Scared of the thought that this man has something to do with the guy who tried to attack her last night, she quickly ran away.

 

But she suddenly stopped when she bumped into someone and tried to hold her when she was about to fall. 

 

She slowly looked up and noticed a guy wearing jeogori and baji, a good-looking guy—tall, has puffy eyes and has gat on his head that is now holding her, supporting her back and arms. 

 

The puffy eyes of the guy are unwavering— seems like haunting Yerin's eyes. When they came back to their senses, they both distanced themselves and the guy bowed to her— apologizing for the sudden action. However, she felt elated not just because of his good looks but also because of his manners.

 

When the guy glared at the man who's holding a knife, he looked so surprised and suddenly stepped backward, causing the man to run as fast as he could. Yerin looked at him with awe, filling her thoughts that this guy in front of her has some dominance that could make those dangerous men back off. 

 

 

"Thanks for saving me," She wanted to remove the awkward atmosphere so she's the one who initiates the conversation. 

 

"It is my pleasure," he beamed which made his puffy eyes slanted. He looked at Yerin from head to toe and started examining her. "Are you new to this place? I haven't seen you before here but your dress tells different."

 

 

Yerin looked at herself; she's wearing a jeogori and chima— the one that Eunbi gave to her before she left earlier. Good thing that she's not wearing her school uniform or she'll get into trouble. She left it at Eunbi's house and doesn't care about taking it. Well, she's hoping that Eunbi would find her to give back her school uniform and feel conscientious. But seeing how cold Eunbi is and how she's being totally different from the novel, she slowly accepts that Eunbi will never do that. 

 


"Uh, the truth is, I ran away from home."

 

 

"What? Didn't you know that it's very dangerous for someone like you to loiter around especially if you're alone?"

 


"I know right. Don't make me feel like I'm some kind of weak and harmless woman 'cause I can kick your balls," said Yerin and started walking with a smirk on her face. 

 

The guy widened his puffy eyes; his face almost turned red upon hearing those words. He looked at her and followed her. "Hey! Woma---aish!" 

 


Yerin turned around only to find out that the guy is now slumped on the ground. She burst into a peal of laughter while the guy is standing coolly on his own, ignoring how he felt embarrassed that a girl saw his clumsiness. 

 


"What a clumsy guy."

 


The guy draws near her. "Don't laugh, it's the small rock's fault."

 


Yerin laughed again at how he defended himself. He reminded her of one character in ASTILBE named Younghoon who has the same clumsiness as him, the guy who has a grudge and envied Eunbi because of her skills in fighting. He looked so fine, so good, so kind, but who would've thought that he envy Eunbi a lot because he's not that strong enough? And the fact that he's the older brother of Yewon makes it less convincing. 

 


"I'm Younghoon, what's your name?" 

 


Yerin's eyes widened when the guy introduced himself. It's just that she's not expecting that he's actually the guy she remembered earlier. 

 

 


"You're Younghoon?!" 

 

 

"Yes, why? You seemed surprised."

 

 


"Uh, nothing. I kinda like your name, it suits you well." Yerin excused and winked at him. The guy suddenly blushed, holding his smile. 

 


"I'm Jung Yerin," she showed him her eye smile that could almost melt people's hearts. In this case, Younghoon's one of them as he seemed whipped by it. They both started walking and he began asking her briskly. 

 

 

"So, where do you live?" 

 

 

"Why do you want to know?"

 

 

"Just curious because earlier I thought you didn't live here but then I noticed your dress which is the same as the habile of the women here."

 

 

"I like how you're being observant, interesting."

 


"You know what? You should go home now, don't cause too much trouble to your family. I'm sure they're worried about you. If I were them, I would hysterically run for help knowing that this place is kinda dreadful."

 


"I wish they're here; I wish they're still alive." And she wishes that they're still together in the real world. 

 


Younghoon looked at her with mixed emotions— dejected, sympathetic, and worried.

 

 

"Don't give me that look, don't pity me. I can live on my own and I can handle myself."

 

 

"Why did you ran away if you're alone in your house?"

 

 


Yerin didn't answer him. Her look only focused on the road. Well, she can't answer him because she can't say that she's from the real world. She can't say she left Eunbi's house because it will cause conflict to the scenes.

 


All of a sudden, she stopped walking when she remembered something about the scenes. 

 


'The next scene will be Eunbi and Yewon's moment. And if I'm not mistaken, this guy is Yewon's older brother. Omg!' 


Yerin's face is delighted and as if a light bulb is on the top of her head.

 


"Why did you stopped walking?"

 


Yerin looked at him while smiling, trying to get his attention.

 

"Can I come with you?" Yerin asked that made Younghoon bewildered. "You know, I'm living alone. Is it okay if I come to your house for a while?"

 


"Uh, well, my sister doesn't like the idea of —" Younghoon couldn't finish his words when Yerin circled her arms to him and started walking, making him walk with her as well. He couldn't do anything when she insisted and did that. 

 

 

 

 

***

"So, this is your house?" Yerin asked when they arrived at a pretty big house,  a traditional Korean house called Hanok. The interior of the house was planned well and the house was built in a square with a courtyard in the middle. 

 


"Yes," Younghoon responded and lead Yerin to their house. "Welcome to our house, Yerin." 

 


When they entered the house, a lady who's also wearing an habile like her 
approached Younghoon. 

 

 


"Orabeoni! Where have you been?"

 

 


"I just bought something for you," Younghoon showed her a small thing that looks like a keychain but a more traditional one. The girl looks happy as she took it. 

 

 

 

'This must be Yewon, Eunbi's girlfriend. Hmm, she's pretty, yes. Her beauty is somewhat unique.'

 

 

The girl looked at Yerin with a confused look. There was silence. Yerin tried to smile at her but she just leered. Then, finally, Younghoon broke the silence. 

 


"Yewon, this is Yerin. I just bumped at her earlier when a man tried to attack her, uh, she wants to come to our house so I took her here. And Yerin, this is my younger sister, Yewon."

 

 

 

Yerin doesn't know if she'll greet her because of what she showed to her earlier. For Yerin, she's becoming more annoying. She tried to smile at her earlier but she just leered at her. But then, she needs to be nice to her because this is her way to talk to Eunbi or if she wants to recede the meet-up of Yewon and Eunbi later. 

 

 


"Hi, Yewon! It's my pleasure to meet you." She exclaimed while showing her bright smile. She wanted to be nice, she wanted to be friends with her, because she wants to prevent Eunbi from falling for her. 

 

 

Yewon just raised her right eyebrow and didn't respond. Her eyes narrowed into slits as she looked at her brother. She took the hand of Younghoon and pulled him outward. He couldn't do anything when Yewon pulled him somewhere so he just looked at Yerin and shouted, "Sorry, Yerin! I'll come back!" Yerin watched them as they entered a small room, probably they'll talk. 

 

 

And because the two are still talking, Yerin wanders around the house. She contemplates every part of the house and got amazed by it. This is completely different from the real world and she began appreciating the beauty of the traditional houses. It has a natural aesthetic that lacks any artificial touch. Its simple features may feel forlorn and desolate. 

 

 

She went to their courtyard— the yard that is not filled with a garden. She already figured out that in a place like this, they don't need to put a garden unlike the houses in the modern era or the real world because the natural environment surrounding the home was considered as a garden. 

 


She saw clean white flowers that are ravishing so she went to the side of the house to look at those flowers. 

 

 

"Whoa, this is so pretty! Been wondering what kind of flower is this." She leaned closer to the flowers and scrutinized them. 

 


She was about to hold the flowers when suddenly, someone stopped her from touching them. She felt her heart almost skip a beat, she felt a familiar cade hand holding her wrist. When she looked up, she felt a sudden tickle as she saw her remarkable red hair.

 


"Eunbi..."