SIX. REBUFF

I'll Be Waiting For You

Yerin saw clean white flowers that are ravishing so she went to the side of the house to look at those flowers. 

 

 

"Whoa, this is so pretty! Been wondering what kind of flower is this." She leaned closer to the flowers and scrutinized them. 

 


She was about to hold the flowers when suddenly, someone stopped her from touching them. She felt her heart almost skip a beat, she felt a familiar cade hand holding her wrist. When she looked up, she felt a sudden tickle as she saw her remarkable red hair.

 


"Eunbi..."

 

Eunbi is staring at her intently. She can feel how her eyebrows knitted as she let go of her wrist. 

 

"Don't touch that flower! Don't you know that's very poisonous?"

 

Yerin covered out of shock. She would have died if it weren't for Eunbi. And now, she noticed her eyes never changed. She still has those cold eyes that could freeze her anytime. She's looking at her directly in her eyes, but with a very cold gaze. 

 

 

 

"Silly, how come you didn't know this kind of flower?"

 

 

 

'Because I'm not from this world.' Yerin wants to answer this but she chose not to. 

 


"I forgot," she excused. 

 

 

"Don't touch that kind of flower, it causes death."

 

 

It's just simple words from Eunbi yet Yerin almost passed out due to tingling. She felt that Eunbi may be cold but those words from her comfort her, it's as if she cares for her but in a different way. 

 

 


"So, you care for me?" Yerin couldn't control her smile, she didn't even bother talking to Eunbi with a bit of playfulness. She tilted her head to see Eunbi's reaction but she just leered at her and just looked away. 

 

 

"Stop with that silly thing, you're not cute," Eunbi said and turned her back at Yerin, her lips formed a curve. 

 

Yerin pouted her lips and went in front of her. But Eunbi suddenly changed her expression to a cold one again. "Oh my, did you just smile?" 

 

 

"What?"

 


"I saw you, you smiled earlier."

 

 


"And why would I?"

 

 

"Because I'm cute!" Yerin exclaimed while putting her hands on her cheeks, forming a heart with it. 

 

 

Eunbi shook her head and back to her usual expression. She glared at her for being so energetic and weird. She doesn't like someone full of a cheerful high spirit; she doesn't like someone who's being so playful with her. But with Yerin, all she could do is to glare at her. She would walk out if this is not Yerin. She doesn't know why the hell she can't leave this bubbly girl. 

 

 


"Do you agree that I'm cute?" Yerin is playing with her, despite how Eunbi's being so annoyed she leaned closer to her and shoot her with her eyes that are likely to have crystal ice. 

 


Yerin's heart is beating fast and her entire face almost melts from what Eunbi did. She's staring at her intently, their faces are just an inch apart from each other. 

 


"No, you're not cute," Eunbi said with a poker face and is still looking directly at her eyes. Yerin's face turned red. Her homie is staring at her. 

 


"F-fine, why so serious?" Yerin stuttered, can't even look directly at her. She felt the heat circulating through them although they are outside. 

 

 

"Eunbi?"

 

 

They quickly turned in a different direction and distanced themselves from each other when they heard a voice. And then, they saw Younghoon and Yewon walking towards their direction, giving them a baffling look. 

 

"Do you know each other?" Younghoon asked while giving the two a suspicious look. Yewon also looks perplexed. 

 

 

Yerin noticed how Yewon puckered her forehead. She couldn't say any words, can't even say a word because this would cause so much trouble with the scenes if she tells that they knew each other. But her heart tells that this will make Eunbi resist falling to Yewon. This is what she wants. This is her chance to change the flow of the story. 

 


She was about to say the word 'Yes' when Eunbi suddenly spoke.

 

 

"No, we didn't know each other. I just saved her from that poisonous plant."

 


Yerin looked surprised and hurt by how she was denied by Eunbi. This is more painful than getting a low score in the exam, she's really different from Hwang Eunbi in the novel that she read. She looked at Eunbi but Eunbi averted her gaze from her. 

 

 

"Good to know," Yewon said and went closer to Eunbi, circling her arms at her. "How are you?" Yewon asked Eunbi who's now looking at her with a gentle face. 

 

"I'm fine," Eunbi barely smiled as she ruffled Yewon's hair.

 


And that hurts Yerin's heart. 

 

 

 

***
The table is already settled and different dishes are occupying it. Younghoon invited Yerin to eat with them even though Yerin doesn't want to because her heart suddenly broke like a vase. Younghoon noticed it so he asked her.

 

"Is there something bothering you?"

 

 

Yerin shook her head as an answer, she doesn't want Eunbi to know how affected she was by her sudden action. After all, why would she care? Yewon is her girlfriend and that's just normal, she's just a nobody who came from a different world who dreamed to be with Eunbi. 

 


At a middling table, Yerin sat beside Younghoon, Eunbi is in front of her beside Yewon who's now feeling great pleasure. 

 

"Let's eat!" Younghoon exclaimed while his eyes are glittering upon seeing the dishes— galbi tang (short rib soup), kimchi jjigae (spicy kimchi stew), sam gae tang (chicken soup with ginseng), mandoo (dumplings), and bibimbap. 

 

 


"Eunbi-yah, have some kimchi jiggae. This is your favorite, right?" Yewon handed Eunbi the kimchi stew while Yerin just ignored it, she took the bowl of short rib soup and devour it right away, looking so upset. Good thing they didn't notice it. She remembered the time when she cooked kimchi stew for Eunbi in her house and that was a great memory for her. Now, Eunbi is eating kimchi stew with her girlfriend and she's hurt by how she put those smiles on her face every time Yewon put a stew on her plate. 

 

"So, Eunbi do you still have fighting lessons with Master Dasuki?" Younghoon asked her while chewing the mandoo or dumplings. 

 


"Yes, actually last night I got wounds while fighting with him. Well, it doesn't matter to me. And besides, he said that I'm improving so it's fine."

 


"Is that so? I'm happy for you," Younghoon beamed but Yerin noticed how fake his smile is. She knew how he envies Eunbi so much. Younghoon wants the position where Eunbi is right now. But Master Dasuki kicked Younghoon and didn't allow him to have a fighting lesson with him because of how clumsy he is. He's jealous, mad, and caustic with her. At first, you wouldn't think that this seemingly nice guy here has some grudge against Eunbi. Good thing that Yerin knew the flow of the story. 

 

'Great, I've got to see how he pretends to be nice with Eunbi.'

 

 

"I'm glad that you came here, I'm dying to know your situation. I keep on asking orabeoni but he said that you'll be fine as always." Yewon looked at Eunbi with a worried face. "And now that I've got to know you got wounds..."

 

"Shh, it's fine. It's not that big. And uh... I already treated it," Eunbi looked at Yerin, remembering the night when Yerin treated her wound and did everything for her. 

 

 

"See? Eunbi is strong. She's not that weak compared to me," Younghoon said sarcastically.

 

 

"But still, I'm worried."

 


"I'll be fine, always." 

 

 

"Yah, we almost forgot to introduce Eunbi to Yerin," Younghoon said. 

 


Well, they don't need to introduce themselves to each other because they know each other, they slept together, they are together for one night but Eunbi refused to tell the truth.

 

"Oh yeah right," Yewon faked a laugh. 

 


"Yerin, she's Eunbi. My sister's girlfriend." Younghoon knows how her sister doesn't like Yerin so he's the one who introduced Eunbi to her. 

 

Meanwhile, Yerin forced herself to smile at Eunbi and showing a friendly gesture but Eunbi just looked at her again with her usual cold expression. 

 


"She's cold, yes. So don't mess up with her," Younghoon whispered to Yerin but she already knew it. 

 

They talked about their life and eat together. Younghoon asked Yerin about her life but Yerin couldn't give a proper answer so she just smiled and changed the topic.  

 

 


***
After the chitchat earlier, Yerin decided to go outside of the house to have some refreshing air. The sky is now filled with stars and the moon shines brightly above. 

 


Her heart is broken. She thought being nice to Yewon would make her getting closer to Eunbi. She thought she can prevent the meet-up of Eunbi and Yewon today. She thought she can change the flow of the story. But she was erroneous.

 


She was about to walk towards the garden when she saw Eunbi and Yewon from afar. They're talking happily. Eunbi is smiling. This is the Eunbi she knew. This is the Eunbi from the novel. She's smiling, she's happy with Yewon. 

 


'You're really happy with her, but with me, you almost freeze me to death. How can I change the flow of the story? How can I make her fall for me?'

 

 

Eunbi doesn't have feelings for Yewon. Yet.

 


But in the next chapters, she'll develop those feelings for her. She will love Yewon with all her life and Yerin is afraid that Eunbi might start seeing Yewon as a special person by talking to her now. In the novel, their true love story started in this place when Eunbi confessed her true feelings for her. 

 

 

Yerin wants to prevent it, she wants to interfere but the moment she remembered how she was denied by Eunbi earlier brings pain and anguish to her heart.

 


"Probably she finally confessed," she mumbled to herself with a very low voice.

 

 


"Confessed?"

 

 


"Aigoo!" Yerin exclaimed when Younghoon suddenly appeared in front of her making her heart almost pass out due to panic. The sudden noise interrupted Yewon and Eunbi's conversation and looked in Younghoon and Yerin's direction.

 

 

Younghoon can't stop laughing at how shocked Yerin is. 

 


"Aish! You want me to have a heart attack?"

 

 


"You're quite cute when you look surprised," Younghoon paused a second then burst out laughing. Yerin's eyes narrowed into slits then glared at him. 

 

 


"I'm sorry, but you're really cute." Younghoon ruffled her hair but Yerin took his hand and pinch it, making Younghoon bawled. "Annoying buffoon." Yerin turned her back at him and started walking. Younghoon suddenly looked confused by her weird actions which are strange because women in this world are supposed to be demure.  

 


"Look how adorable she is. Yah! Yerin!" He followed Yerin and speedup his pace that makes him almost fall to the ground. 

 


Meanwhile, Eunbi secretly looked at Yerin who's now walking away and Younghoon is following her. 

 


"It's getting late, I should get going." She was about to walk when suddenly, Yewon pulled her closer and hugged her. "Take care, Eunbi-yah. I love you."

 

 

Eunbi is supposed to confess her feelings for Yewon today but it didn't happen. She doesn't know why, but the thought that Yerin might be upset about what she did earlier is bothering her. 

 

"You too," that's the only word that came from . She can't think properly because Yerin already occupied her mind.