Chapter 9

The Last Hunt

Dongmyeong noticed one thing immediately when he got to Yunho's room. The amount of shot glasses just sitting stacked on the dresser was a bit much, even by supernatural standards. "I don't drink," said Yunho as he watched Dongmyeong pick up a shot glass and examine it to see that it had come from New York City. "Those were all gifts, I believe there's 50 of them, one for each state," he said.

"I can see that," said Dongmyeong. "All gifts from San?" He asked. "No," said Yunho. "Seungwoo got me one from every territory he's visited in the states," he said. "The rest are from San, and Seonghwa when San's busy," he said, putting the alligator plushie on the bed next to a wolf plushie.

"And the plushies?" Asked Dongmyeong, an amused look appearing on his face when he turned to spy a giant pile of plushies in the corner, with a giant bear plushie being at the back of the pile and standing out. "Well," Yunho said, scratching the back of his head as he turned to look at the pile of plushies. "When they ran out of shot glasses San has made it his mission to fill the corner with plushies apparently," he said.

"You have a weird way of dealing with stuff like this," remarked Dongmyeong as he went to sit down on Yunho's bed to take in the rest of the room. "Everyone does," said Yunho. "At least I'm tame compared to some hunters I've seen," he said. "Even if the shot glasses are a bit much," he added.

"What about you? What do you use to cope?" Asked Yunho as he went to straighten up the plushie pile. "I draw," said Dongmyeong. "My brother used it as a distraction, so I decided to continue it in his memory," he said. "And have late night talking sessions apparently," said Yunho as he shook his head in amusement. "Hey, those do help," said Dongmyeong.

"So we're going to be sharing beds," said Yunho as he turned around to look at Dongmyeong. "I'd have a second bed in here but since San doesn't sleep, well," he said, shrugging. "Unless you want to sleep on the floor?" He asked. "Nah, I'm fine sharing beds," said Dongmyeong. "I'll probably end up wandering outside later anyway, who knows," he said. "I'd be careful if I were you," said Yunho. "Especially since Hanse and Chan are home," he added. "Those two don't know you too well yet, so they'll attack you if you're alone," he said. "Probably anyway," he added. "I'll be careful," said Dongmyeong as he nodded.

 

~



Meeting the other members of the pack was an experience that Dongmyeong wasn't expecting at all. He knew Byungchan already, Byungchan and Seungwoo were the ones to find him after all, but the others Dongmyeong was completely unsure of. Sejun was more relaxed at home than he was at Starbucks, Hanse and Chan seemed to try to avoid him whenever possible, Subin was just as cold and indifferent as his uncle apparently, and Seungsik just stayed out of his way when they were in the same room together.

"Your pack seems so much fun to be in," said Dongmyeong after most of the introductions were made. "Well," said Yunho as he scratched the back of his head. "Things are a bit more relaxed now than before, you should see how things are when big alpha Seungwoo is here," he said.

"It's not everyday that an ex werewolf hunter shows up at our door," said Byungchan as he shrugged. "Just don't cause trouble and you'll do fine here," he said, studying Dongmyeong's reaction to his words. "...I see," said Dongmyeong as he blinked in surprise before his expression turned blank. "You don't have to worry about me causing trouble," he said. "I'm sure Yunho can apprehend me if something I did was worth incurring the wrath of a werewolf hunter," he said.

"I'd rather that not be the case," said Yunho as he turned to Dongmyeong. "You are my last mission anyway, I could kill you right now and be done but," he said, shrugging. "Something tells me I should keep you alive for the time being," he said.

 

~



Dongmyeong was woken up by soft whimpering coming from next to him, causing him to turn over and look at Yunho who was clutching the wolf plushie to his chest as a lifeline. Dongmyeong moved slowly to sit up, wondering if he should wake Yunho or not.

That question was soon answered when Yunho woke up, sitting up in alarm and letting the plushie fall into his lap. "Are you okay?" Asked Dongmyeong as he turned to Yunho. "...I think so," said Yunho as he blinked several times to get the images out of his head.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Asked Dongmyeong. "No," said Yunho as he looked down at the plushie in his lap. "I'll be fine," he said, moving the plushie off his lap and onto the bed before getting up. "Where are you going?" Asked Dongmyeong. "Out for a walk," said Yunho as he walked out of the room. Dongmyeong quickly got up and grabbed their phones before following after Yunho, the both of them putting on their shoes before Dongmyeong followed Yunho outside to the lake behind the house.

Yunho sat down on a wooden bench a few feet from the water and stared out at the dark water with a distant look on his face. Dongmyeong sat beside him, making sure to put Yunho's phone in Yunho's hand before turning his attention to the water.

"You didn't have to follow me out here you know," said Yunho as he gripped the phone in his hand before moving to put it in his pants pocket before moving back to his original position. "I just didn't want to be alone," said Dongmyeong. Yunho hummed in response.

"Nightmares again?" Came a voice, causing Yunho to turn to spot Seungsik returning from a hunt. "Mm," hummed Yunho as he nodded before turning his attention back to the water. "Where were you?" Asked Dongmyeong. "Hunting," said Seungsik as he shrugged, going to sit next to Yunho.

"Hunting?" Asked Dongmyeong. "You didn't know Seungsik was a hybrid?" Asked Yunho. "It never came up," said Dongmyeong. "Plus I don't smell anything really," he said. "You're used to the pine forest smell we give off," said Seungsik. "My scent is just slightly muted, and to the 'shifters and other vampires it's more obvious but," he said, shrugging.

"Hey does Chan have an older brother?" Asked Dongmyeong. "He did," said Seungsik. "Why?" He asked. "Was his name Jun? Or something?" Asked Dongmyeong. "I don't know," said Seungsik. "You'd have to ask him yourself in the morning," he added. "Why?" He asked. "Chan just looks familiar is all," hummed Dongmyeong as he shook his head.

 

~



"You knew my brother?" Asked Chan as he turned to Dongmyeong as Dongmyeong asked him about Jun during breakfast. "I was in contact with him for a good 5 years, I mostly got my missions from him when I was a werewolf hunter," said Dongmyeong. "Wontak knows him better though," he added. "I don't know what happened to him before you ask, I lost contact when he moved to China," he said.

"Is that how you got control of his faction?" Asked Yunho. "Jun's? Yeah," said Dongmyeong. "He left the faction in my care and then left, moving to China," he said. "I don't know why though," he added.

"I didn't think he was still alive after all these years," said Chan. "Ask Yedam, he may be able to get in contact with him," said Yunho. "I might just do that," said Chan.