Chapter 8

The Last Hunt

The cold and expressionless Yunho was back, and Dongmyeong wasn't sure what to make of the situation. Hwanwoong tried to do something to get Yunho to be more outgoing but was failing at it. Spectacularly at that.

"You don't have to put up this front here," said Hwanwoong. "You're safe," he said. Yunho shook his head. "I'd rather not," he said. "The situation can change at any moment," he said. "What will it take for you to finally just change?" He asked. "Going home, but that means abandoning the mission," he said.

"Abandoning a mission is a big no no in the hunters world," said Dongmyeong. "Though, if I went with you, technically it wouldn't be abandoning the mission right?" He asked. "I get it, you're homesick," he said. "I know that feeling," he said. "Every hunter knows that feeling if their pack isn't nomadic," he said.

"Would you be willing to come with me for this visit though?" Asked Yunho. "To be completely honest? No," said Dongmyeong. "But the mission parameters never said anything about going somewhere with the person you're keeping an eye on," he said. "I have my own mission to do but," he said, shrugging. "I'll be fine," he said. "I'm leader of my faction so," he added. "Any missions I can pass down to Hwanhee or Minhee," he said.

 

~



After making sure everyone was aware they were going back to Yunho's pack house for a visit Dongmyeong and Yunho left, hopping on a plane going to Toronto. Yunho hoped to make it there in time to at least see Hongjoong and Jongho before they were off to Europe, but judging from the group chats they'd be leaving relatively soon.

It was Sejun that had come to get them from the airport, having just dropped off Hongjoong and Jongho. "We literally just missed them?" Asked Yunho as he and Dongmyeong rushed over to where Sejun was. "They just left the security check in," said Sejun. "Sorry man," he said, scratching the back of his head. "Damn," said Yunho as he gave a small pout. "We should've just ran over to the security check in," he whined, earning a laugh from Sejun.

"It was urgent," said Sejun. "So they couldn't put this off any longer," he added. "Right, Wooyoung found something," Yunho said, nodding his head. "What'd he find?" Asked Dongmyeong as he looked between Sejun and Yunho, noticing a more relaxed stance coming from Yunho as he was finally home. "Another potential pack to make contact with," said Sejun. "I see," hummed Dongmyeong.

"We're going to Starbucks for the rest of the afternoon, if you don't mind," said Sejun. "Sure," said Yunho as he nodded. "Is this the famous "Yuto's Starbucks" that's become just as famous as Moonbin's coffee shop?" Asked Dongmyeong as he blinked in surprise. "Yep," said Sejun. "Is this your first visit?" He asked. Dongmyeong nodded.

"It's just a Starbucks," Yunho said, shaking his head in amusement. "But everyone talks about it all the time," said Dongmyeong. "I know it's not as famous to the humans but to us hunters who go to places like this for information it's great," he said.

"How have you not been here yet?" Asked Yunho. "I tended to avoid Toronto due to being a werewolf hunter," said Dongmyeong. "I respect the rules, and I doubt anyone from your pack would've liked me hanging around," he said. "After becoming a vampire hunter, I never had time to come here," he added. "So yeah, it's technically my first time here," he said.

"Funny, because Hwanhee always visits whenever he can," said Sejun as they walked out to the car. "Really?" Asked Dongmyeong. "He used to get his missions from here," said Sejun. "Canada has started to become the next Italy apparently," he said. "But it's died down some in the last few years," he said.

"Chani's done a decent job keeping the city pretty much free of vampires except for him and his coven when they come get Yuto from the Starbucks," said Yunho. "Having hunters constantly in the city has basically turned away the human drinking vampires, well except for Eunki," said Sejun. "Eunki keeps his word about taking one human though," said Yunho. "That's true," said Sejun as they reached the car.

"You guys heard from San yet?" Asked Yunho as Sejun drove to the Starbucks. "Mm, no not yet," said Sejun. "But Seonghwa had come by a few days ago to say that he did run into San," he said. "He's staying with Chani and his coven for a bit," he said. "But he wanted to see you," he added. "So I'll let him know you're here," he said.

"Seonghwa wanted to see me?" Asked Yunho as he blinked in surprise. "Got a present from the last area he was in apparently," said Sejun. "Ah!" Said Yunho. "Can't wait, he always gets souvenirs from the places he's been," he said. "You've decorated your room with everything he's gotten you," Sejun said with a chuckle.

"Almost everything," said Yunho. "There's some things that I don't keep in my room, but that's because San took them," he said. "Though there is one hoodie I always wear," he said. "Seonghwa gave you that one didn't he?" Asked Sejun. Yunho nodded. "Said San was too busy to get it to me so he asked Seonghwa to do it," he said.

 

~



"You're late," called Yuto as Sejun walked into the Starbucks with Yunho and Dongmyeong behind him. "Sorry," said Sejun. "Had to go pick up these two," he said, motioning to Yunho and Dongmyeong. "Where's Yanan and Hyojong?" He asked. "They called out today, Hui needed them for something," said Yuto. "Just us today huh?" Asked Sejun. "Yep," said Yuto as Sejun went to get ready, putting on an apron and going behind the counter. "Turn on the open sign if you don't mind," Yuto called to Yunho who went to do so before going to take a seat in Hui's spot, with Dongmyeong sitting beside him.

If there was one thing that Dongmyeong observed, other than the most relaxed Yunho Dongmyeong had ever seen anyway, there were still a ton of hunters coming through the city to pass on information and even catch up with Yunho. Dongmyeong hadn't been the most social person on the planet when he was hunting werewolves, and even now he felt awkward to not know any of the teams coming through Starbucks that day.

"Not what you were expecting huh?" Asked Yunho as he scrolled through the chats on his phone to update whatever group chats he was in to say who had come by. "No," said Dongmyeong. "Have you been to Taehyun's cafe?" Asked Yunho. "Yes," said Dongmyeong. "But not many teams go through there," he said. "It's run the same way, I know," he added. "Same with Moonbin's coffee shop but," he said, shrugging. "This is all new to me," he said.

The door chimed and in walked a vampire Dongmyeong didn't recognize. "Seonghwa," said Sejun as he waved. "Hey, heard Yunho was in town," said Seonghwa as he smiled slightly not showing his fangs. "He's in Hui's spot," said Sejun. Seonghwa nodded and turned, walking over to where Yunho was sitting, sitting in front of him.

"What do you got for me?" Asked Yunho as he grinned in greeting. "A plushie," said Seonghwa as he plopped a stuffed alligator onto the table. "Another one?" Yunho said in exasperation though Seonghwa could hear the happy tone in his voice. "Of course," Seonghwa said with a chuckle. "You and your damn plushies," Yunho said with a scowl, taking the plushie off the table and hugging it to his chest in thanks. The amused smirk on Seonghwa's face said it all as Dongmyeong shook his head in amusement.