Chapter 1

The Last Hunt

"I wanted to see you today because I know you want to retire," said Wontak as he sat in front of Yunho as they found a table at the Starbucks owned by Chani and his coven in Toronto. "Who said I wanted to retire?" Asked Yunho as he studied Wontak with a tilt of his head.

"I've known you since you were a rookie kid," said Wontak as he glared at Yunho. "I know when someone's ready to retire," he said. "You know what happens to me when I retire," Yunho said quietly, looking down at his coffee. Wontak sighed. "You won't go out like that," he said. "I swear," he added. "At least hear me out before accepting it," he said. "Fine," hummed Yunho.

"So your mission is to keep an eye on a friend of mine," said Wontak as he leaned forward, looking at his cup of coffee in thought. "Who is it?" Asked Yunho. "A friend of mine, his name is Dongmyeong," said Wontak. "He recently lost his brother and his pack fears he may need to... Retire," he said. "Grief changes people," hummed Yunho.

"Can I bring San along?" Asked Yunho. "For what reason exactly?" Asked Wontak. "Just to give some moral support?" Asked Yunho. Wontak shook his head. "I don't know if Xiao would allow something like that," he said. "I'll ask though, so I'll give you an answer after going to visit them," he said. "Alright, cool," said Yunho.

"I'll contact you once I get word to Xiao about your mission," said Wontak. Yunho nodded.

 

~



"You want me to do what?" Asked Dongmyeong as he looked at Wontak as they sat on the back porch to talk. "Keep an eye on someone for me," said Wontak. "Hyung, you know I don't hunt werewolves anymore," said Dongmyeong. "This may help you... Move on," said Wontak. "You need to move on eventually," he said. "Damn it, I'm trying," said Dongmyeong, as he stood and started pacing.

"I'm worried for you," said Wontak. "The grief is getting to your head during missions," he said. "At least read the file I'm going to give you before accepting," he said, holding out Yunho's file. "Fine," said Dongmyeong as he turned to Wontak, taking the folder from him and opening it, looking through the files.

"You want me to keep an eye on Yunho?" Asked Dongmyeong as he raised an eyebrow, looking at Wontak. "Yes," said Wontak. "He's gone through as much as you have, but deals with it in his own way," he said. "I fear it affected him more than he lets on, thus this will be his last mission," he said. "To keep an eye on me?" Asked Dongmyeong. Wontak nodded.

"Fine," said Dongmyeong as he tossed the folder onto the table in front of them. "I'll keep an eye on him, and San," he said. "When he shows up anyway," he added. "He won't be around much, San tends to show up at random," said Wontak. "But still, keep an eye on them both," he added. "You won't get any missions from this point, I've already asked Mashiho and he agreed to doing this, same with Yedam," he said. Dongmyeong nodded.

 

~



"So we're getting another werewolf hunter for a while huh?" Asked Xiao as Wontak went to talk to him. "For a bit," said Wontak. "Though he asked me if it was okay if San came along," he said. "A vampire?" Asked Xiao. Wontak nodded. "Hm," hummed Xiao. "He won't cause any problems then?" He asked. Wontak tossed a folder over to Xiao who caught it and opened the folder, looking through the contents inside.

"...Oh," said Xiao as he blinked, looking at Wontak. "Really?" He asked, closing the folder and handing it back to Wontak. "Yeah," said Wontak. "Alright," Xiao said with a sigh, shaking his head. "As long as he doesn't cause trouble," he said. "He shouldn't," said Wontak. "Just give him plenty of space," he added. "Yunho tends to be very protective of him," he said. "Right," hummed Xiao.

 

~



"San," said Yunho as he met his brother on the back porch of their pack house. "Hey there," said San as he stood in the backyard with his hands in his pockets. "Heard you were taking a long term mission," he said. "For a while, yeah," said Yunho. San hummed in response.

"Will you join me?" Asked Yunho. "Not for a while," said San as he shrugged, "There's still a few things I need to do," he said. "But I'll join you when I can," he said. "Yeosang has you busy doesn't he?" He asked. "Yeah, you could say that," said San. "Where are you going?" He asked. "Xiao's territory," said Yunho. "I'll come by when I can," said San. "Don't worry," he said. Yunho nodded and San turned and ran off, going to hunt.

"Did San come by again?" Asked Jongho as he came outside, going to stand beside Yunho who was leaning against the porch railing. "Yeah," said Yunho. "What'd he come by for?" Asked Jongho. "He heard about my mission," said Yunho. "Ah," hummed Jongho.

"I'll be leaving soon," said Yunho as he got a text message, looking down at his phone to see a message from Wontak. "I'll see if Byungchan will let us stop by one of these days," said Jongho. "Alright," said Yunho. "I'll see you around," he said, going to get packed. "Yeah, be careful," hummed Jongho as he stood there for a few minutes before going inside.

 

~



Dongmyeong looked up at the sky as he stopped by the pond to meet up with his little fox friend. He was honestly surprised that the fox was still alive after a year but hey, it was something he was okay with. He was alone for a few minutes before footsteps alerted him of someone's arrival, causing him to turn to spot the fox he had become so fond of.

"Hey there," said Dongmyeong as he leaned down, holding out a piece of jerky he had in his pocket and letting the fox take it before standing up and looking back out at the water. "We may get a new friend soon," he said, shrugging as he watched the clouds float by via the reflections in the water. "I don't know how to feel about him yet, but we'll see what happens," he said. "At least I won't get missions for a while, until this is over," he added.

"I heard you were assigned a mission," came a voice, causing Dongmyeong to turn to spot Gunhak walking over. "Yeah, but I'm staying here for the duration of the mission," said Dongmyeong. "Yunho's a good kid," said Gunhak. "You've worked with him before?" Asked Dongmyeong. "A few times," hummed Gunhak. "I see," hummed Dongmyeong as he turned back to look at the water with Gunhak going to stand beside him.

"I'm sorry," Gunhak said suddenly, causing Dongmyeong to blink, turning to look at Gunhak. "It was wrong of me to blame you for the death of your brother," explained Gunhak as he noticed the questioning look Dongmyeong had. "Ah," said Dongmyeong. "I would've done the same thing, if I found out that Yonghoon had killed his brother due to the circumstances we were in," he said. "So don't worry, I don't blame you for lashing out," he said.

"Good luck with this one," said Gunhak. "Yunho's assigned to watch over you I heard," he said. "I know," said Dongmyeong. "Wontak had debriefed me before he asked me to keep an eye on Yunho," he said. "Well," said Gunhak as he turned to spot the fox walking away before starting to walk back to the house. "Good luck," he said, putting his hands in his pockets as he walked off, heading home. Dongmyeong nodded. "Thanks," he said.