Alright

We found love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BGM:

Taemin, Idea

Apink, Alright

—————————

November, 2020. Seoul.

Naeun sighed as she scrolled through the Naver search page. 

“Are you not gonna eat your salad?” Her sister Saeun pointed to her bowl. 

“You can take it.” Naeun said without a thought, as she stared at her phone. 

“What’s up? Why are you sighing?” Saeun noticed. 

Naeun placed her phone on the table and sighed again. “I don’t know what I should buy for a present.” 

“Present? For who?”

“For oppa’s eomonim.”  

Taemin has invited her next week to celebrate his mom, Mrs. Kyungsoon Lee’s birthday. Naeun always loved Mrs Lee and her gentleness. Whenever she sees Naeun, she would always welcome her with a warm smile and encouraging words, often asking her. “How are you? Oh my Naeunie you’ve lost so much weight! Aigoo, you should eat more! If you don’t mind, do come over to our house so I can cook for you!” Naeun would always reply back with a huge smile that matched hers, and a bunch of thank you’s. Of course, she wouldn’t forget the day when Mrs Lee asked her to help with Taemin’s grief of his brother’s death. It was an emotional day, and Naeun was thankful that Mrs Lee gave her an opportunity to stay by Taemin’s side. 

In the previous years when she was together with Taemin, Naeun hasn’t seen Taemin’s mother many times. Most of time, she sees her at church, or on the streets occasionally, since they live in a similar area. But she never really joined family gatherings officially. Taemin did invite her before, but Naeun was either too shy, or she was too busy with schedules to attend. It was different — to enter Taemin’s house and be introduced as his girlfriend into the family. After so many years, Naeun finally had the courage to visit Taemin’s family. 

“Hey Son Saeun, do you think a bracelet would be good for Mrs. Lee?” 

Saeun opened , but before she could speak, Naeun blurted out more.

“What about flowers? But I don’t know what kind of flowers she likes though... I can’t buy her skincare products too since I don’t know her skin type... How about some utensils? A picture frame? How about..” 

“Unnie..” Saeun stopped Naeun’s rambling. “Unnie, I’m sure Mrs. Lee will like anything. You said before that she’s really kind and caring! I don’t think she’ll mind.” 

“Saeun-ah, this is my first time celebrating her birthday, I should think of something that she appreciates.” 

“Well, did you ask your boyfriend of what his mom likes?” 

“I did... but Oppa just said his mom is fine with anything... well he did mention some accessories but I don’t know what style or design Mrs Lee prefers...” Naeun whined and buried her head into her arms. 

“Well, last time when you’ve seen Mrs Lee, what was she wearing? That will show what designs or style she prefers...” Saeun rolled her eyes. 

“OH WAIT!” Naeun exclaimed. “I’ve thought of something!” She said excitedly and started typing rapidly on her phone. 

Saeun rolled her eyes again. “You’re welcome... where’s my ‘Thank you’?” 

Naeun stuck out her tongue to her sister. “Nah, not gonna give it to you. I wasn’t even gonna search for accessories.” 

—————————

Taemin rubbed his eyes as he stretched his arms in the morning sunlight. He went on music shows, filmed a few variety shows to promote his new “Never gonna dance again: Act 2” album. He just finished a week of promoting on music shows, and now started practising for the year-end shows.

It was a rare day where he did not have any schedules. More specifically, he told his manager to free up this day. 

 

It was his mother’s birthday. 

 

For the past 12 years of debut, Taemin almost worked everyday. When he didn’t have concerts or music shows to go on, he would be practicing his dance or recording songs in the studio. It was until recently that he realised he had missed too much of his family time. Granted, the intense amount of work was repaid to his family through money — he gave them a luxurious house, cars, or many presents when he wasn’t home. But after everything, he realised the importance of spending time with his family. His parents were starting to age, and he had to cherish the ones he loved before he loses them, like how he chose to hold on to Naeun despite everything. 

He chose to be there, but also he chose to bring along someone special to his mother’s birthday gathering. 

 

Naeun. 

 

He remembered he invited her before to come over for family events as well, but she shyly refused and said she had a schedule that day. She probably did, but Taemin could tell from her stuttering and the reluctant tone that she wasn’t comfortable. He decided to wait and try again, like how he always does — always waiting and staying by her side until she’s ready to open up. It reminded him of how he knocked her heart’s door open, looked outside, and watched it open bit by bit, until it was ready for him to enter. He smiled. Years together made them nostalgic but also familiar with each other. 

 

He finished his morning routine and dialled Naeun’s number. 

“Naeun-ah.”

“Eung, oppa.”

“I’m coming over now so I’ll be there in 10 minutes. You ok?”

“Eung oppa, come safely.”

 

On the other side of the phone, she hung up, fixed her hair against the mirror and took a deep breath. She tried to prepare herself mentally for this day, but it still terrified her a bit — to meet his parents officially — not as a sister from church, not as Taemin’s colleague or junior, but as his girlfriend.

She was about to leave the house and pressed the lift, until she looked at her empty hands. 

Oh no! She thought to herself. Son Naeun you babo! How could you forget the gift?! She was so immersed into her own thoughts that she even forgot her bag of birthday gift to Mrs. Lee. 

Frantically, she pressed the door code and hurried back into her room. 

—————————

Moments later, she grasped tightly onto the bag of presents and hurried to his car.

He greeted her with a warm smile that could be shown even with a mask. Instantly, she felt herself relaxing, and her nervousness faded a little. 

Almost right after she entered the front seat, Taemin held her cold hand. 

“As I expected… Naeun-ah, your hands are so cold.”

Her lips pursed into a tight smile as she tightened her fingers against his.

They drove on. As they got closer to their destination, she bit her lip in anxiety. 

On the way, Taemin spoke for a few times.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter