Chapter 7

4 Seasons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Her best days were some of my worst

She finally met a man that's gonna put her first

While I'm wide awake she's no trouble sleeping

'Cause when a heart breaks no it don't break even... even... no

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was nearly 1:30am on a Monday night, which technically makes it Tuesday morning, Sana shifted in their bed, she hadn’t fallen asleep yet. After being in a relationship with Dahyun in over a year now, Sana decided it's time to leave Momo alone(she induced Sana with that idea for three months) in their shared apartment, and move in with Dahyun. 

She rolled over to look at her phone, knowing that Dahyun is still at the coffee shop because Nayeon didn’t change her shift, it was exams week in the university. She decided to send her a text and wait for a reply before she allowed herself to attempt to sleep again.

Sana

1:32am

Good morning, baby. I miss your cuddles already ):

 

She was undoubtedly proud of her girlfriend. The transition from summer to fall brought more than the brisk autumnal air, it also means that the coffee shop will be so packed right now, students studying their asses off for the examinations, some are finishing their research papers, same goes with Dahyun, but harder because she was also working for the coffee shop. With her studies in the afternoon, working at night, and sleeping in the morning schedule, it seemed like she was gone for Sana to even say ‘Hi’.

A buzz and flash of light emitted from her phone, signaling that Dahyun had probably was on her break time. Sana greedily grabbed the device—she missed her girlfriend, and any form of contact helped. She smiled at the message

 

Dahyun

1:45am

I miss you, love, but you need to get some rest. Prof. Jinyoung emailed us, we have to attend a make-up class with him by ten this morning. I’ll call when I’m done. Be patient with me, Sana. I’ll be back home with you.

 

Sana frowned as she placed the phone back on the nightstand, knowing that her girlfriend was working so hard with her studies and the coffee shop without enough sleep wouldn’t help ease her back into a relaxed state, it made her worry for Dahyun more, so she texted back.

 

Sana

1:46am

baby tell me you’ll sleep on all your break time please try to eat a lot and sleep more.

 

She tried to close her eyes and sleep, but she ended up staring at a book Dahyun left at their nightstand. Dahyun loved it so much, and begged many times for Sana to read it, the thought made her missed Dahyun more. She reached under her pillow and grabbed for the crumbled red and black checkered flannel shirt she had hidden when she made the bed earlier in the day. She brought the clothing closer to her face, breathing in the scent of peppermint— Dahyun's perfume. It had been like this for the past two nights, and she was grateful to at least have that.

 

The whole exam week went by the familiar routine. Dahyun only going home at their apartment by the afternoon to shower, then off to the coffee shop, by which time, Sana was at the art studio, finishing a commission. By the evening, Sana would go home to an empty apartment. Later at night, she would be having trouble falling asleep without her girlfriend’s warm body next to hers. For the fourth time that week, she reached under the pillow to retrieve Dahyun’s flannel. She cuddled it closer to her face, waiting for traces of the Dahyun’s scent to waft into the air. She should have known this would have happened sooner or later, especially with how she had been shoving the shirt under a pillow every night, but the familiar scent was finally subsiding. Sana still held the shirt close to her body—after all, it was still better than nothing.

 

It seemed that her tireless nights doing commissions had finally caught up to her. As soon as she sent her “goodnight” text, Sana quickly dozed off.

 

She wasn’t sure what time it was, but was fairly certain that it still wasn’t time to be up for the day. For some reason, her body had woken itself up, but she kept her eyes closed in hopes to fall back to sleep. The japanese inhaled deeply, hoping it would help put her body at rest, and was surprised by the overwhelming scent of the familiar smell. Her eyes were still closed, but she reached her hand across the span of the bed to try and find the flannel she had been cuddling all week. As soon as her hands found something, she shot her eyes open—her fingers had woven themselves into a nest of familiar black hair, cascaded on her girlfriend’s pillow—Dahyun was home.

The body next to her stirred, “Mm, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you.”

 “Dahyunnie!" Sana was quick to kiss her girlfriend who she hasn't seen in the whole exams week. The japanese cuddled herself to Dahyun, as she put her head closer to Dahyun's chest just right below Dahyun's chin. "How come you're home early?"

The korean reached across the bed, throwing her arm around Sana’s waist and snuggling her front to the blonde kissing her girlfriend's forehead, “I got everything done a lot sooner than I thought. Since I haven’t had the proper sleep, I’ve been brewing tea at our espresso machine, Nayeon-unnie gave me a night off, besides hell-week is over.”

“I love you,” Sana whispered as she laid her head into the crook of Dahyun’s neck.

“Me too,” the korean kissed the top of her girlfriend’s head,

"Sana."

"Hmm?"

"Why are you sleeping with my dirty laundry?”

Sana chuckled at her. God, she missed her, so much. She slept with Dahyun’s arms snaking around her belly and up to the middle other chest pulling in tight. The first time Dahyun had a proper sleep in two weeks. 

 

*beep beep beep*

10:00am

Tap to Snooze

 

 

Dahyun got rid of her alarm for the second time. “No, no it’s not time to get up yet.” Sana grabbed Dahyun’s arm and pulled her back down into their bed.

“You’ve been saying that for the past hour.” Dahyun laughed as she leaned into the kiss Sana was placing on her temple.

Sana smiled, gently taking Dahyun’s face and kissing her firmly on the lips.

 

“Because, it's true, baby, I'm happy you've had your rest. There's nothing we forgot to do and nowhere that we need to be. The only place I feel peace is in here, in bed, with you. Besides, I've been craving for you all week.” Sana kissed Dahyun’s lips after every word. “We don’t have to get up yet, don't we?.” Sana whispered against Dahyun’s mouth.

 

Mhhm.” Dahyun smirked, loving how warm Sana’s body felt against her own.Sana feeling her back hitting the sheets was the second softest feeling in the world, second to the feeling of her girlfriend’s lips tracing over her body. Her body laid limp, almost lifeless after the near hour-long assault Dahyun had managed to commit between her thigh. Sana took a deep breath, exhausted, before turning to her side and closing her eyes, again. Dahyun's fingers brushed through Sana's hair as they kissed once again, she rested beneath her as Dahyun held Sana's hands to her chest and sang the song she had written just for Minatozaki Sana. 

I care about you, in every way I can
You know I'm troubled, but I know you can understand
I'm sorry for the strain
No one prepares you for the way in which things change
But you've been amazing, saw me through my darkest stage
And you always forgave me
And now you love me just the same
It means the most, I hope you know
And I hope you know
That I think about you in every single way
You're more familiar to me, more and more each day
I cry in front of you, and it's very necessary, babe
I will care about you, in every way I can

 

 

 

The song echoed through Sana’s mind right now. The song played over and over in her head, it was beautiful, it was theirs, it was hers. She didn't know why those memories suddenly appeared to her this time, but she tried her hardest to ignore the guilt she's feeling right now. Her eyes discreetly roamed the restaurant around her, looking at the décor of the place. Jeongyeon reserved a table in the Namsan tower reastaurant, a week in advance, if she hadn't had connections it would have taken it a month. The transition from summer to fall brought more than the brisk autumnal air, and a clear sky. They were seated at one of the smaller tables next to the large window spanning the entire restaurant, overlooking the citylights. It had a magnificent view. It was a cosy, fancy, upscale place. One of those low-lit candles on every table, live pianist playing on stage. The food was prepared by a Michelin-starred chef, french style cooking mixed with Korean influence, it was quite innovative and delicious. So, all in all, this would have been a rather spectacular date. If only her present company were at all interesting.

The japanese refocused her attention on her date sitting across from her. Jeongyeon was still talking, about something (rocks? blocks? clocks? Sana wasn’t sure) and she was sure Jeongyeon hadn’t noticed that she was not paying attention. They had finished their dinner and were now waiting for dessert and coffee. When she didn’t reply with more than an “interesting” every time she paused, she thought she finally got the picture. Jeongyeon switched to different subject.

“So, Sana, what kind of artwork do you like to do?”

At least she was trying. Sana was tired and didn’t particularly want to explain her work, but decided to indulge her. “I work with all kinds of media, but most of my professional work is based in paintings. My subjects change depending on my current moods and interests, and recently, I’ve been doing a lot of paintings of celestrial bodies. It’s a major theme for the next gallery I’m currently planning.”

“Oh, you have a gallery opening coming up? When is it?”

“In several months.” Sana then grimaced as she remembered. “I’m quite behind actually.”

“Well, when should I expect my invitation?” Jeonyeon teased, hopefully.

Sana deflected. “Oh, we’re miles away from forming a guest list right now.” She left it at that.

Thankfully, their desserts and coffee arrived. They both welcomed the diversion from the awkwardness where their conversation left off. Jeonyeon started adding cream and sugar to her coffee. Sana sipped her latte – not as good as Nayeon’s, or the one she makes – and silently hoped that the topic would be dropped.

Jeonyeon seemed to have gotten her silent message. She again tried a completely different subject.

 

“Okay, how’s this, then? Do you believe in soulmates?”

 

That caught Sana’s attention, if only because the subject was such a sharp departure from what he had been talking about earlier.

 

“Yes, what's with it?” she answered hesistantly.

 

“So, you actually believe that there is one person in the whole entire world who you are meant to be with?”

 

“Yes.” answered hesistantly, again. 

 

“That one person you are meant to be with, in a world of billions, and that you would actually find him or her?”

 

“Yes. ” The japanese held her gaze over to Je

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter