are

The World Through Your Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
are

 

 

The weather was surprisingly clear and bright despite typhoon season not being over yet. The sun shone idly amongst the company of clouds that scattered sky. Jongin was resting in a hospital bed, leaning against the bed frame and bandages peaking out from his loose shirt collar. There were cuts on his lips and some scratches on his face. Chinsun was sitting in a chair next to his bed, also wearing hospital-assigned clothing. Jongin’s gaze was locked on Chinsun’s left arm which was in a cast, and his eyebrows twitched every once in a while, at awe at how she managed to expertly peel an apple with a knife despite having only partial control over one hand.

 

“Should you really be handling a knife?” Jongin questioned, jutting his lips out.


“Learn to eat apples with the skin on then,” Chinsun countered in a flat tone.

 

“Whatever,” Jongin huffed, his eyes gliding towards the vase of flowers on the bedside table. “White lilies…?”

 

“White stargazer lilies to be specific,” Chinsun hummed. “Representing purity and rebirth; the ultimate sympathy flowers.” 

 

Seeing Chinsun’s blank expression, Jongin’s gaze softened. He placed a tentative hand on Chinsun’s knee and gave it a soft squeeze. Whatever words he wanted to say though, had gotten lost in his throat.

 

“Kim Jongin, are you trying to comfort me right now?” Chinsun mused, her lips curling into a small smile that did not quite reach her eyes.

 

Having finished peeling the apple, Chinsun was now slicing it into small pieces into a plate that was balanced on her lap. Jongin retracted his hand and coughed softly before responding.

 

“Don’t blame yourself,” Jongin mumbled weakly. “There was nothing you could have done to prevent it all from happening.”

 

Chinsun’s hands froze. A piece of apple dropped into the plate and that was the only sound that could be heard in the quiet hospital room as Jongin held his breath. Swallowing loudly, Chinsun clumsily passed the plate of sliced apples to Jongin while she munched on what remained on the core of the apple, refusing to meet the male’s gaze. Jongin’s shoulders dropped yet his eyes remained delicate and contained a warmth that was reserved for Chinsun only.

 

“Then at least let me share the blame. You don’t have to shoulder it all by yourself.”

 

Inhaling deeply, Chinsun blinked rapidly to chase away the tears that were forming in her eyes. Biting on her lower lip, she threw away the apple core and tapped a finger on her left arm’s cast to distract herself.

 

“Look who’s talking,” a gruff voice mumbled. “The grouchy dude who gets all moody and never expresses himself.”

 

Jongin jolted up, flinching at the pain that staggered through his body due to the sudden movement. Chinsun snapped around and a gasp of relief escaped . This time, tears of joy were gathering in her eyes and she did not bother to hide them.

 

“And you Kwon Chinsun, what did I say about bearing it all by yourself?”

 

Baekhyun felt his sore muscles complain at being left unused for too long. Not having the energy to sit up, Baekhyun turned his neck and gave Chinsun a boyish grin before his eyes drifted past Chinsun’s shoulder to give a slight nod at Jongin who was in the neighbouring bed.

 

Finally recovering herself, Chinsun leaned closer towards Baekhyun and punched his bed with her right hand, taking Baekhyun by surprise.

 

“Why did it take you so long to wake up?” Chinsun choked. “Do you know how worried we were?”

 

“Take it easy there, I just woke up,” Baekhyun tried to joke. “How many days was I out anyway?”

 

“Too long,” Chinsun replied without missing a beat.

 

“One week.” Jongin’s low voice answered, his expression serious. “How do you feel?”

 

“My body feel very stiff and my brain feels a bit woozy,” Baekhyun groaned. “And my eyes…”

 

Baekhyun’s voice faded in that moment. Touching his left eye with a trembling hand, Baekhyun let out a shaky breath.

 

“Baek?” Chinsun asked, a hint of alarm in her voice. “What is it?”

 

“My left eye…” Baekhyun whispered in fear. “I can’t see.”

 

Chinsun’s eyes widened and even Jongin froze momentarily.

 

“You can’t see?” Jongin repeated the words. “Is it just blurry? Or literally nothing?”

 

“My right eye is blurry but my left eye…” Baekhyun responded after a pause. “It's just black.”

 

Biting her thumb, Chinsun  exchanged a worried glance with Jongin.

 

“Maybe it’s just temporary?” Chinsun tried to offer as explanation, though none of them were convinced, not even herself.

 

A pregnant silence filled the room as one specific thought dawned upon the three of them but neither Chinsun nor Jongin were willing to say it out loud first.

 

Loud footsteps approached and unapologetically disrupted the silence. Without even knocking, Jongdae, Mark and Sehun poured into the room while pushing and tugging each other, each wanting to enter first but unable to fit through the door at the same time. Eventually Jongdae managed to squeeze in and his eyes immediately landed on Chinsun’s tear stained face before moving towards Baekhyun who was staring at them in confusion.

 

“All hail whatever entities that listened to our prayers!” Jongdae exclaimed, completely oblivious to the sombre atmosphere that they had walked into. “Byun Baekhyun has finally awoken.”

 

Jongdae’s boisterous exclamation had unintentionally shifted the mood in the room, inciting a chuckle from Baekhyun and Chinsun, and an eye-roll from Jongin.

 

“Good, you get to see my beautif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter