your

The World Through Your Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
your

 

 

For the next two weeks, Baekhyun was never left alone. His routine consisted of walking to Naesae with Chinsun in the morning; help her organise the shop; tend the counter; close up shop with Chinsun and go back to their respective homes. If he was not at Naesae, then he would be keeping Jongdae company at the funeral home where Jongin would be around to keep an eye on both of them. Baekhyun expected the sudden change to be too overbearing for him, however, it was a welcomed one as his meals were no longer as lonely as they used to be as food tasted best when in the company of loved ones.

 

Nonetheless, Baekhyun was ecstatic when Chinsun announced that it was alright for Baekhyun to venture out on his own once in a while and regain his own freedom of movement. After all, Baekhyun was a curious boy that could never stay still. Thus after two weeks of constant supervision, he was ready to embark on a solo challenge.

 

Chinsun stared at the pile of books that Baekhyun had placed on the counter. Her eyes darted between the books and the wallet he was holding in his hand while her eyebrows raised in confusion.

 

“You can just borrow the book and return them once you’re done,” Chinsun stated. “No need to buy them.”

“How can you stay afloat if business is so…” Baekhyun paused, trying to think of an appropriate word to convey what he wanted to say. “…tepid.”

 

It was not as though Naesae was completely lacking in customers and sales. There were the regular locals who have been frequenting the bookshop for generations. Also, the friendly yet mystic aesthetics of Naesae always managed to lure in casual people passing by and curious tourists. Nonetheless, the percentage of people who actually bought something was very small, so Baekhyun had made it his life goal to contribute even just slightly towards Naesae’s sales. He owed Chinsun at least that much.

 

“Exorcists and those working or studying the spirit world pay a hefty sum to have access to the archive,” Chinsun explained. “It’s like a very expensive one-time library pass. Since the stuff in the archive is the accumulation of the Kim’s family’s blood, sweat and tears over the years, the books and reference materials cannot be taken out of here so outsiders can only read them. As a result, the shop is actually quite profitable.”

 

“So you’re actually rich.” Baekhyun arched his eyebrows, a playful glint in his eyes.

 

“I get by,” Chinsun mused while reading the titles of the book Baekhyun wanted to buy. “What’s with your sudden interest in Jeju’s history?”

 

“It’s been about two weeks since the egg ghost incident and I’m still alive, so I’ve decided to be a tourist for the next couple of days and explore the local area. These books are my research materials on local history and heritage.” Baekhyun grinned.

 

“You’re just trying to procrastinate from your manuscript aren’t you.” Chinsun gave Baekhyun a scolding stare. “Don’t blame it on me if your publisher comes knocking at your door demanding for the long overdue manuscript.”

 

“It’s fine, I haven’t told him my new address yet,” Baekhyun chirped while striking a secretive pose. “I have erased my traces and he will not catch me.”

 

“Uh-huh,” Chinsun hummed in an unamused tone. “Card or cash?”

 

It took Baekhyun a moment to realise what Chinsun was referring to. Eyeing the amount displayed on the digital cash register, Baekhyun took out a few notes from his wallet and slid it towards Chinsun.

 

“Have fun reading then.” Chinsun smiled, giving him a small wave as he left. “And try to stay out of trouble.”

 

・・・

 

Truth be told, Baekhyun felt a strong desire to read and study about Korean history — and especially that of Jeju — after the incident with the Jeju Uprising victims’ mass grave. Even now, simply recalling the events, Baekhyun felt his stomach twist in discomfort and unease at the mere thought of those restless souls being forgotten and unable to find peace for themselves and their loved ones.

 

One question echoed in Baekhyun’s mind: how much more erased history and injustices were hidden behind the façade of modern-day South Korea?

 

With that in mind, Baekhyun decided to visit a temporary exhibition. A photographer who’s great-grandmother was forced into being a comfort woman had spent the last few years interviewing and photographing women who had been affected by the war and the invasion of the Japanese soldiers at the time. It was a to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter